How did I get here?

Options
Hello my name is Kandi and I have 2 grown daughters a stepson and 4 grandchildren. I have been married for 27 years. I have been heavy most of my life after kids. I don't think I a at my heaviest weight but pretty close. I think I have stayed heavy because I did not want any type of attention from men and now I am endangering my health. I will have to learn a way to cope with the mental aspects that causes me to eat, because my well being and grandchildren depend on me.
I am facing surgery on my lower back and my knees if I don't get this weight off of my body. I want to at least be able to say I tried to help myself.

Replies

• cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    You have come to the right place to get help. Follow the guidelines MFP gives you and the advice some of the veterans here have and you'll do fine. Look at me, I have been fat all of my life and now I'm on my way to becoming the skinny person I know I can be. Good luck to you.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.... This is a great tool to get you where you need to be, I do suggest that you take a trip to the book store and get, "Loss it for Life"....

this is a spiritual book that focuses on getting the core of why we are overeating, it encourages you to address those emotions and so called lies we tell ourselves.... This is a GREAT book, my entire female family is overweight and have been forever.....

My mother started this book in Jan. She wasn't at her heaviest, but was very heavy. She has lost 60 lbs and for mother's day gave the book to me and my sister. It is up to us to break this cycle for our children. I have lost 25 lbs since doing the book and let me just tell you how renewed I feel, I am closer to my God, have better relationships with my family and my husband....

My prayers are with you and I wish you the best of luck... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    God Bless
    Summer
  • maiya_1
    Options
    It's easy to fall into that pattern of comfortable overeating. that's why for me this site is great. Start by just keeping track for a few days of what you eat (be honest, you're the only one who will see it) then look for little things you can change at first, diet pop instead of regular, fudgesicles instead of ice cream, 100 calorie packs of popcorn instead of chips, etc. That's what has really helped me, I don't feel deprived, and yet I'm making much healthier choices.

Everyday I print out what I've eaten and look for ways to improve, and write little notes to myself (walk for 10 more minutes tomorrow, drink more water,)

It gets easier, but you did the right thing by coming here and taking the first step.

My doctor told me I'm pre-metabolic (two steps away from type II diabetes). I also have a family history of type II and heart disease, so that's what finally gave me the wake up call I needed.

The most important thing is even if you have a bad day, at least you know how much you ate! Just take it one day at a time, remember, it took a long time to become overweight. Just don't give up!:wink:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: