Meeting my suggested net calories

When I meet my suggested net calories, it says that if every day were like today I would be the same weight in 5 weeks! Even if I work out, it says the same thing when I get the 1200 cals. When I only eat around 800 or so, however, it says I will lose my 2 lbs a week and be my goal weight in 5 weeks.... Why give me a suggested net calorie intake if that intake will only maintain my weight??

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Check your goals and make sure it's not set to "maintain your weight" or whatever...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what have you set your calories at?

Unless you're *extremely* small, it shouldn't be telling you this at 1200 net calories.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what have you set your calories at?

Unless you're *extremely* small, it shouldn't be telling you this at 1200 net calories.

I agree. My 3 year old needs 1200 calories a day...
  • I'm 5'2, I started at 130, my goal is between 105 and 110... I'm pretty small but most of my weight comes from fat because I'm so sedentary, I'm trying to get active, eat right, and lose some of it.
  • 1200 is the accepted minimum intake for women; no calculator should suggest less.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    I never pay attention to the "daily prediction". Check your settings. For your size and weight I would recommend setting it at -1pound a week or less. Because you want to change shape more then just lose wieght.
    Hope you get some useful suggestions. Lots people here are close to their goal weights and are just doing the last little adjustments.
    keep up the good work.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    At your height and age, even at 105 pounds your BMR will still be 1190, meaning your total calorie needs will be at least 1400. So you should definitely be losing weight at 1200.

Is your weight possibly entered incorrectly into MFP?
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    I don't really pay attention to net calories. I just aim for 1700 or anywhere from 1400-2100 per day and workout 70 mins per day. My net calories says 800 sometimes or 900, I feel full though so I'm not sure how that works but when I stop losing maybe I'll figure it out more.
  • 1lindachristine
    1lindachristine Posts: 13 Member
    Do be careful, anyone taking in very low calories, 800-1000kcal/day, should be medically supervised. This low calorie intake slows your metabolism, and switches you into starvation mode. It also frequently causes electrolyte imbalances. The best thing is to (1) talk with your doctor, eat your balanced 1200kcal/day and add cardio exercise, so your metabolism stays up.