My awesome doctor

Options
I love this guy... he's compassionate, spends time with each patient and has a very matter-of-fact kind of personality. Here's what he said that motivated me:

We were talking about WW or some diet plan. He said "Vin, you're a smart guy... just listen to this and it will change your life. It takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound and a net negative 3500 calories to lose a pound. Its simple physics. If you eat 500at calories less than what your body requires for 7 days you will lose one pound. Simple. So log your calorie intake and eat less."

I said "thats great but how do i know how much by body needs?"

He said, "BUY A SCALE AND USE IT EVERY DAY."

I did and it works. No crazy diets. Just awareness of how badly i was treating myself...

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Awesome. It is quite simple, really... it's just a case of whether or not we're prepared to treat ourselves the way that will improve our health. That's it, really.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    buy a scale and use it every day... This is what finally pushed my husband and I to get healthy. We were getting on the scale everyday. Smart doctor you have there.
  • Raeca89
    Raeca89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Very nice. I like that guy. Its true! I had always thought that I was an okay eater and didn't go overboard with food so I was confused as to how I was gaining weight over the years. Turns out, I wasn't paying ANY attention to portion sizes and eating a ton of high calorie foods. It was only in the past month or so that I learned of the 3500 calorie = 1 pound thing and I WISH someone had told me about that earlier...
    I have heard that "obsessing" about the scale by using it everyday is not a good way to lose weight because of the daily fluctuations in weight but it was just what I needed :) Seeing myself slowly go down day after day was enough motivation for me to keep up what I was doing :D Thank goodness I had the foresight to buy a digital scale that measures weight to the 1/10th pound :)