Swimming resulting in furry tongue?

Options
Has anyone else ever had this issue. I had it last year when I took up swimming as exercise, and since doing it the past couple weeks again, this problem has come back.
My tongue goes sort of a white/yellow colour and it looks furry. It feels like there is something constantly in the back of my throat.
Last time this happened I was given some drops to use and was told it was oral thrush. Why does this happen whenever I go swimming?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Are you swallowing pool water at all? That would be my best guess.. is that you are, and there is some sort of bacteria in the water causing this.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I swim with my mouth clamped shut because of this happening in the past, but sometimes when you get those super splashy, tidal wave causing swimmers going past, sometimes its hard to get some water in my mouth.
    It's pretty annoying because then it means I can't use swimming as a form of exercise, and it's my favourite thing to do.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yea.. I'd try to find another favorite form of exercise thats on dry land until you can get this sorted out.

It doesn't sound pleasant.. but maybe ask your doctor if there anything you can do to prevent it.. he/she may have some tips!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like thrush. Usually that occurs when you have an abnormal balance of bacteria in your mouth that keeps the yeast (which is a fungus, by the way), from colonizing. Most swimming pools have chlorine and bromine to keep yucky bacteria at bay in a public place, which could cause issue with the bacteria in your mouth if you're susceptible and end up exposing your mouth to a lot of chlorine. A lack of bacteria allows the fungus to take hold, which normally won't happen, because bacteria out-compete fungus with growth, which keeps everything healthy.

Only thing I could suggest for that is maybe taking a few bites of yogurt before you go to encourage the bacteria to hang out while you're swimming.
  • ScientistStudy
    Options
    Yeah I definitely will!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    well thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth. you get yeast infections in dark damp places. im assuming you got it from letting infected water into your mouth :c ive had thrust and it is NOT fun. but mine was from antibiotics... look into probiotic yogurts or some pills. the pills would be the best bet because its concentrated and ment for exactly what you need
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    you should probably go to the doctor and see about getting meds to get rid of it nystatin is an antifungal and i know i had to use it on my daughter when she got thrush
  • ScientistStudy
    Options
    you should probably go to the doctor and see about getting meds to get rid of it nystatin is an antifungal and i know i had to use it on my daughter when she got thrush

Ah yes, thats what I got last time! I will go to my local walk in centre to see if I can get it again.
  • vampyre2478
    Options
    Check also if you have a slight allergy for chlorine. :)