Indian Food... what is 'OK' to eat?

Options
Hi, i have a business meeting tonight at an Indian Restaurant, i dont want to be rude and not eat as afterall we are there to see what the place is like!

Question is, what is a semi healthy meal to have?

Other problem i have is that i am missing my calorie targets for the day due to the exercise as it adds on extra calorie allowance, and im struggling to hit my target. Now i know i could probably get away with a hearty meal and still be within my calorie target for the day but its the fat content im worried about..

Any advice?

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    chicken tika off the bone or on is no worse than any flavoured chicken but don't have it with massla sauce!!! If you need a sauce have it with a veg curry one. Boiled rice rather than pilau as that is fried in oil and chapati is much lower in cals than a nan bread.
  • nau05242
    nau05242 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Prawn bhuna and a chapati would be in the region of 500cals.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten Indian food, but I found this on google. I hope it helps.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/10-ways-eat-healthy-indian-restaurant
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just read this article in The Huffingtonpost today and had to laugh at how specific it was. And a few hours later, someone needs an article that specific!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/healthier-indian-takeout_n_1528471.html?ref=healthy-living

I hope that helps!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food but it is much healthier when you make your own as you can use so much less oil or ghee (clarified butter) which is what they use. If I were you I would have a light breakfast, cereal or something, a light lunch, soup or salad to leave myself plenty of leeway tonight. At the restaurant choose cjicken tikka, the dry ones in the starter section without sauce, boiled rice and maybe a couple of popadoms. Otherwise go for a veggie or prawn curry rather than the meat. Portions are usually huge so you could always share with someone else. Avoid creamy currys, byrianis, pilau rice and the breads as they are loaded with fat and calories. Enjoy it though, and if you overindulge, then do a really good workout!
  • leannerob1984
    leannerob1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, and thanks for the link lou-ann - it was really helpful! I never knew a roti would be healthier than a chapatti or poppadom, i will bear that in mind for tonight

thanks again
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Order anything tandoori, which is cooked in the oven without creamy sauce, with a couple of vegetable side dishes. If you want some starch (to fuel those workouts!) Have boiled or steamed rice instead of pilau rice or naan bread. And avoid poppadoms and dips like the plague!
  • ania0307
    ania0307 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hiya
    If i have Indian which i adore, i stick to plain rice, 1/3 of a naan and get tandoori chicken - it's grilled so not that much fat
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am usually naughty, and get prawn vindaloo, pilau rice, a bhaji and a cheese naan, but actually, you can get fat free recipes for the curry, on Google. A home made curry, plain rice, and a pitta instaed of naan, and you are actually eating healthily. Enjoy your meal :drinker:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I just eat a ton of saag paneer. I'm a pescetarian, though, so I can get away with such meatless wonders.
  • Tanny3
    Tanny3 Posts: 26
    Options
    tandoori chicken is really low in cals :) (no sauce) xx just steer clear of naan bread!
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhh.... I'm CRAVING Indian now!! :P
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Why worry... have a little of what you fancy. It's only one meal and we all need to learn to adapt to real-world situations if we're going to lose weight and keep it off.

But the previous suggests are all excellent too if you really want to try and keep on the straight and narrow.

Good luck and Bon Appetit! :drinker: