pain in the leg calf

Options
anku08
anku08 Posts: 82 Member
I have been jumping rope for like 2 weeks followed by jogging, but it has been paining in the left leg calf for last 1 week. It does not allows me to complete my step while walking.
Can anybody help me with this problem?
Any solutions?

Replies

• ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So the pain is located in the back of your calf? It wouldn't happen to be on the inside of your calf muscle on the front? If it's located on the inside part of your calf in the front, it could be shin splints (which would make sense, as you are placing a lot of stress on your calf/shin muscles by jumping and running).
  • Rozlynmac
    Rozlynmac Posts: 71
    Options
    I'd agree with ChinaLexie. Either that or you've damaged the calf muscle. Either way, sounds like you need to give it a rest.
    Have you heard of RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - Stop exercising it, put some ice on it (cold tells your body summat's wrong so it starts trying to fix it)(but no more than 20 mins at a time), Put a firm bandage around it if you are going to be walking about to support the muscle, and when you're sitting resting, raise it up.

If it's Shin splints none of that'll work except the rest though. I have shin splints and got exercises from the physio to strengthen the calf muscles as she told me it was transferred pain 'cos they're so weak. It's made a huge difference, so maybe go see a physio if it doesn't clear up with some rest.
  • anku08
    Options
    it's on the back of the calf
  • widetobride
    widetobride Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that the most likely cause is exercise, if you have sudden swelling in the calf, heat or redness, get it checked out by a doctor :flowerforyou:
  • anku08
    Options
    its not swelled or red but it pains slightly.. is it because i have been put f exercise for a long time
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my last marathon I got some quite painful soreness in my left calf that also stopped me finishing off each step when I was walking. I went to my normal Sports Massage place and they did some acupuncture on the sore areas (they were knots in my muscles) and some deep tissue massage afterwards. The acupunture really helped to "release" the muscles.

Sounds like you may have something similar. If you rest it will go away, but slowly, but if you want to get back to normal ASAP then I;d suggest going to your local Sports Massage centre. I was really scared I ws going to have to pull out of the race, but they had me up and running again within a few days.

Good luck on the rehabilitation,

Dave.
  • anku08
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestion.... :)