What am I doing wrong, please help :)

Options
13»

Replies

• Savannah80
    Savannah80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting reading ... so I'm not eating enough?!
    I've been trying to stick to 1200 kcal a day, so I've been eating between 1100 and 1400 kcal a day.
    The website you've linked to says my BMR is 1529 and I should be eating 1922 to loose the weight?!
    Yikes! I've been under eating by up to 822kcal a day!
  • xenofon
    xenofon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hi i understand what your going though i am having the same problem... I joined herbalife where i have two shakes a day its helping me alot... Are u eating under the twelve hunder cal
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    By eating so less you are shutting down your metabolism and making it even harder to lose weight. You NEED to eat that many calories to function. By eating only 1200 cal you are just setting yourself up for the cycle, there is going to be a binge because you body simply can't handle living on so little food.

Give the 1922 calories a good go, for at least 6 weeks, what have you got to lose really Savannah?? I think to really get it you need a light bulb moment. Anyone who is wondering about this should go and look at the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less group on here.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting reading ... so I'm not eating enough?!
    I've been trying to stick to 1200 kcal a day, so I've been eating between 1100 and 1400 kcal a day.
    The website you've linked to says my BMR is 1529 and I should be eating 1922 to loose the weight?!
    Yikes! I've been under eating by up to 822kcal a day!
    That sounds entirely reasonable. Remember the average recommended intake for the average woman at a healthy weight is about 2000 a day.
  • wiggie39
    wiggie39 Posts: 3
    Options
    i did the same thing for a few weeks and then talked to my friend and she told me i wasn't eating enough protein and i had to eat half of my exercise cals because my body was storing what i ate because after exercise days it was hungry but i wasn't giving it enough with my increased metabolism and the body stored what i did rather then burn it off.... so i changed it, ate much much more protein and half exercise cals and lost weight every week, 1 - 1.5 lbs....
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    Eat more food. 2000 calories is the average for the average woman, so I'm sure you can eat more than 1200 in nutritious whole foods and lose weight. Go to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools, plug your numbers into BMR/Calorie calculator and pull the appropriate number according to your activity level from the bottom of the page.
    What he said! That's where I got my numbers for increasing my calories.

I used this tool, and it told me to eat 2703 calories a day! My current calorie intake is set for 1430. My weight loss progress has been slow, and 2703 scares me.
    I don't know what your current stats are, but if 2703 scares you, that's alright. The point is that you can eat significantly more than 1430 calories and still lose weight. Your BMR is much higher than MFP's settings of 1200-1400. If you want to try this method, I would recommend adding 300-400 calories a day and see if it helps. Give it some time to really see if it has an effect. I'm 5'2" and it told me to eat 1800+ calories a day. I usually eat about 1500-1600 a day. Let me tell you, I'm way more satisfied, I don't feel deprived (I'm eating healthily, not junk!) and I'm steadily losing 1-1.5 pounds a week. It works.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    1.Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) quantifies the number of calories your body burns in its idle state such as sleeping.

2.TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS GO TO THE GROUP "" EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS '''

MFP pal Anewlucia started the group EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS ....I copied and pasted this information below from one of her threads that may helpful.

What is BMR?
    Your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories) expended by the body to remain in bed all day!

What is TDEE?
    TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR; in fact, you need your BMR to calculate your TDEE; but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation. Basically, the TDEE calculation relies on categorizing your daily activity into one of the metrics' predetermined groupings:

Sedentary - desk job and little to no exercise
    Lightly Active - light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk
    Moderately Active - moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk (****SIDE NOTE - even if you have a desk job most people fit right here when you workout 3-5 days a week)
    Very Active - hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk
    Extremely Active - hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or training
    Once you have determined where you fit in on the TDEE activity rate scale, this activity rate is used to weight your BMR giving you a more accurate assessment of how many calories you really need throughout the course of the day.

Here is a link to a site that you plug in your information and it will provide your BMR and TDEE along with your Cut value (again, if you workout 3-5 times a week select "Moderate" and the "Select Your Goal" option you will select is "Lose Fat - 15% caloric reduction.

You can get your bmr and tdee number from here :http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators

So now, you should have your BMR, TDEE, and Cut Value (TDEE - 15%)

Here is a video that talks about this in great detail that hopefully will clear up any questions you may have:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY&feature=g-all-u

If TDEE is figured out correctly, then exercise cals don't *have* to be eaten back because, technically, TDEE figures them in. The underlying factor here, is that most people underestimate their activity levels, (for fear of being told to eat "too much") and then proceed to under eat. If a person is burning 1000 cals/day in exercise, then that should be figured into their TDEE, meaning their TDEE should be AT LEAST 1000 cals more than their BMR. If this is not the case then they are undercutting themselves on the cals. So a person w/a BMR of 1300, that puts up 1000 cal burns should have come up w/a TDEE calculation of 2400 or more. So any situation where a person is not getting those calculations, they should be eating back some of those exercise cals.

So if you come up w/BMR=1300, TDEE=1800, you need to either A)eat back some cals, or B) recalculate your TDEE to include the *actual* burns that you're getting.

So to cut using *true* TDEE figures, you'd just eat a flat TDEE (-15%), as long as TDEE is correct. It should be fine. But if you are using MFP's calculations, or are not getting a TDEE that includes the amount you burn each day *plus* BMR, you need to eat back some exercise cals.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your help. So if I'm 5'8 and weigh 146 my BMI is 22.2. How many calories must I eat based on that? (Hope that makes sense, it really can be overwhelming trying to figure out all these numbers). :)
    You are already smack dab in the middle of the healthy weight range for your height.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I'm guessing you get about 1600 cal a day to maintain and 1350 to lose 1/2 lb a week)

Anything you want to lose now comes down to a few vanity pounds and that's okay. Just be smart and don't jeopardize you health over it. Realize that the closer you get to your goal the slower you will lose, but the slower you lose the more likely you are to keep it off. Keep your goals sustainable. Losing too much and gaining back starts an unhealthy cycle.

I'm 5' 7" and did lose 1 lb a week for the first 15 lb (175 -160) when my MFP target got to 1200 cal per day...
    I switched to lose 1/2 lb per week. (160-150)
    When I got to 5 lbs away from my goal everytime I lost a pound I added 100 calories to my MFP target

So that by the time I reached my goal weight I would be eating just below maintenance. and I'd have a little wiggle room to tweak things if I needed. I'd start to learn what "normal" feels like I expect to keep track for a year or so. I still haven't internalized what the correct amount of food feels like yet.

Good luck and eat healthy!

EDIT: Just went back and saw that you've lost 6 lbs in 8 weeks. That's more than 1/2 lb a week. So you are ahead of the game. Considering that you don't have much to lose I wouldn't go for more than 1/2 lb a week.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eat more.
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What you have written sounds EXACTLY like me so i'm interested in the comments too :-)
  • Ragel27
    Ragel27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive just totally confused myself by looking up my bmr & tdee & now dont have a clue how many calories to eat.

Mfp has me set to eat 1330 calories a day-i want to lose 1lb a week & have my activity level set to sedentary,just incase i dont get round to exercising.

Im 35yrs old,5'8 & currently weight 158lbs,aiming for 150lbs.

Although ive lost 9lbs since joining,there are weeks i havent lost & sometimes it takes more than week to lose 1lb,even though ive stuck to my calories all week.

According to fat 2 fit radio,my bmr is 1497 & at sedentary,i should be eating 1756 or 2012 if i exercise 1-3 times a week.

According to fitnessfrog,my tdee is 1789 with no exercise & 2050 if i exercise 2-3 times a week.

So,sorry if i sound dumb,but exactly how many calories should i eat a day,to lose 1lb a week-as my brain has turned to mush haha.

Any help greatly appreciated-thank you :)

Oh,i do tend to exercise at least twice a week,using Exerbeat on the wii-usually burning over 400 calories a time,which i do sometimes eat back half,but it does scare me as dont know how accurate the calorie burn is.
  • stickybass
    stickybass Posts: 4
    Options
    i have had the same problem! im always worried that i put all the effort in to exercising that i waste it by eating more. only lost 1.5kg so far so i will give it a try to.
  • Savannah80
    Savannah80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So I've changed my calorie intake because of this thread and instead of eating 1100kcal - 1300kcal, I've been eating 1500kcal - 1800kcal. With exercise I'm averaging about 1550kcal for the last three days. I'll weight myself later and see if it's helped my weight loss. I may cry if I get onthe scales and find I've put weight on.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So I've changed my calorie intake because of this thread and instead of eating 1100kcal - 1300kcal, I've been eating 1500kcal - 1800kcal. With exercise I'm averaging about 1550kcal for the last three days. I'll weight myself later and see if it's helped my weight loss. I may cry if I get onthe scales and find I've put weight on.

Well, you haven't done your research then. You will gain some initial weight in water and glycogen.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is a very common problem. Look up previous posts, you will see this question has come up ALOT and ppl have provided very detailed answers. In basic, 1200 calories is generally way too low, you need to eat more. And you MUST eat back your exercise calories.

This....you need to eat back the exercise calories or at least some of them. Good luck with it!
  • Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Options
    I have been on the 1200 cals a day for over 8 months and I exercise and eat back my exercise cals most days.

No matter what people tell you 1200 cals can give you a lot of food.

I don`t miss out on any of my `treats`

Before anyone jumps on my post MFP still gives me 1200 cals a day 5ft 4" 140lbs to maintain.

I too am on 1200kcals a day, often I come in below it ( av 1000kcals) and i'm loosing weight. I agree with what the quoted lady has put, I never miss out on treats (small ones!) and I too am 5'4.

However, i'm not exercising much - if you are i'd advise you to up your kcal intake slightly (not massively). If I exercised more i'd need to increase my kcal intake to make up for what energy i'm lacking by eating too few kcals.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My saving grace was giving myself a range...

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 Calories Net
    TARGET: MFP lose 1 lb a week until that got to 1200 cal then switch to lose 1/2 lb a week
    TOP of RANGE: Goal Weight Maintenance Calories

As long as I keep in that range I'll continue to lose weight....
    ^^^ This is great advice. No need to get complex and plug in your own numbers and determine your TDEE then not record your exercise calories as they're already included etc. etc.

Just use MFP as designed. Record your exercise calories and eat back most of them. It's worked for me and dozens of my friends. There is no "1200 calorie diet".
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    HI, Did you eat a lot before going on the diet? If you are on 1200 cal a day, it depends on how much you are cutting your intake. It does take a few weeks to start losing and then it is fairly consistant . Are you doing any kind of excersize? Cutting your calories and increasing your pysical activity will cause a weight loss. But how fast depends on how drastic of a decrease in your calorie intake!!

Best of luck!!!

Basil
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation and I had to up my calorie intake and chnage up my workout routine. Good luck