SUPPLEMENTS ANYONE?

Options
who takes BCAA's and/or CLA's, L carnitine? if so what brand and what do you feel you get from taking them? (also if possible how much do you pay for them?)

Replies

• jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Scivation Xtend (I think thats how it is spelled) from bodybuilding.com $35.00ish
  • JLPearce12
    JLPearce12 Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump to read later ;)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    I have never felt I received any benefit from L-carnitine or CLA. However, Modern BCAA's from USP Labs can be bought from bodybuilding.com for about $30.00.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I looked at getting that Xtend but it says to drink all day and it has quite a bit of sodium in it .... im thinking of getting some BCAA's to take preworkout as i do not eat before working out.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I looked at getting that Xtend but it says to drink all day and it has quite a bit of sodium in it .... im thinking of getting some BCAA's to take preworkout as i do not eat before working out.

Do you train fasted everyday then? I would consider a meal about 2-3hrs before working out a pre workout meal, really no need to eat something immediately prior to working out. BCAAs probably have limited benefits if you are getting in adequate amounts of daily protein
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    Do you train fasted everyday then? I would consider a meal about 2-3hrs before working out a pre workout meal, really no need to eat something immediately prior to working out. BCAAs probably have limited benefits if you are getting in adequate amounts of daily protein
    [/quote]

yes i get up at 7am and workout at 8:30am. my trainer insists that i need to eat something or at least drink a protein shake preworkout or i am just going to burn muslce. i have tried but 1. i am not hungry that early in the morning 2. if i eat or drink anything and then try and do cardio i get horrible side cramps to the point i have to stop. 3. i dont want to get up at 5:30am to eat.
    i have been looking into IF and while i dont go fasted for as long as this recommends, they say taking a BCAA preworkout while fasting will help you with preventing your muscle to breakdown........
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    I agree with acg67 , you should eat a couple of hours before you workout. I like to have a protein shake about 1 hour before I workout. That is just what personally what works for me!

A lot of protein shakes are only 6 oz drinks and I wouldn't think that would cramp you?
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I take Optimum Nutrition Optimens Multi Vitamin and Scivation Xtend.

They have stopped my muscles hurting so much from strength training and improved my recovery time. The l-arginine in the Optimen has also improved my sex life.

I do not know if they have improved my weight loss or muscle gain.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    I agree with acg67 , you should eat a couple of hours before you workout. I like to have a protein shake about 1 hour before I workout. That is just what personally what works for me!

A lot of protein shakes are only 6 oz drinks and I wouldn't think that would cramp you?

i know it sounds strange but even drinking water causes it... i have to wait and drink my water postworkout
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So do any of these actually assist with weight loss or help you maintain muscle mass while you are on a diet to cut fat? Most look more like bodybuilding supplements to me, for people trying to gain muscle mass. What am I missing?