A little...(maybe a lot) discouraged...

Options

Replies

• CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    yeah...even 1200 calories wouldn't be enough. when I started on here, i had 130lbs to lose, so less than you, and with my activity level at sedentary, to lose 2lbs a week, MFP set my calorie level at around 1900, and that was before adding in any exercise. so with what your bar says you are trying to lose total, you should be eating wayyyy more than 1200 calories. the 2100+ that is recommended by MFP in your diary may seem like a lot, but unfortunetly, us big girls can eat a lot more and still lose weight.

for now, since you just started and have such a high calorie limit to start, don't worry about any of the other numbers such as protien and fat, etc. just concentrate on hitting your calorie level, and as long as you are choosing better/healthier foods, all the rest will fall into place.

good luck :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Read this article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Basically, if you're eating REALLY low calorie, you have to make sure you NEVER binge... because it will be stored immediately as fat. I, personally, prefer a more balanced approach to weight loss... eat at the higher end and lose slower, because whatever I do I want to be able to do it forever. I have a hard time on days where I have to stick to my 1640 without any exercise calories to eat. I can't imagine eating 1000 or even 1200. I eat around 2100/day and I've lost over 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks.
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR? If you weigh 400lbs, and are average height (I used 5'6") your BMR is 2500+ calories. So if you ate 2000 a day with some exercise you could probably easily lose 2lbs a week. So, as everyone has said, being as big as you are, you need to eat more to fuel your body. Make those 2000 calories count with healthy foods and you'll be full all day and lose weight. Good luck on your journey.
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    Oh honey you're not eating enough at all, had a quick look at your diary and some days you're not even hitting 1,000?

I know you're feeling discouraged - try your best to up your net calories to 1200 a day, cut out the diet sodas (so bad for you) and drink lots of water, then do your weigh-in a week from today and see how you get on. You can do it, but not if you starve yourself. It takes a long time but it's worth it. Also fill yourself up on more fresh food if you can, not that it makes a whole pile of difference calories-wise but you'll feel so much better if you try and cut back on the processed stuff.

Best of luck to you, YOU CAN DO IT x
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Absolutely everyone is different, and it's a little disappointing to see people saying that just because you're considerably overweight you can eat 2000+ cals a day and lose weight. Not everyone can.

I have well over a hundred pounds to lose. I am losing slowly but steadily at around 1200/day, which is what my doctor has ordered. Some days I can't hit that number because I just can't eat enough to get there.

MY biggest suggestions have nothing to do with your diet; relax, and see a doctor. No one should ever attempt to lose THAT much weight without a physician's guidance, and we all wear our stress around our guts, our thighs, etc etc. Be brave and keep it up. <3
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories will put your body into starvation mode. You are not eating enough and when you do eat - you are eating **** like KFC.
    You need to start cutting the crap, eating a reasonable amount of food i.e. 1400 calories - upping your protein and exercising.

There is no way your body - especially if you are bigger - can sustain itself on less than 1000 calories a day. What is happening is that your body is taking every little tiny bit of food you give it and turning it into fat as it is panicing and trying to survive.
  • bonnie053
    bonnie053 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1000 calories? Are you eating enough? Won't too few slow down your matabulism?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you are going to start exercising you will need to up your calorie intake even more than 1200. I go by what MFP says, eat back my exercise calories and am loosing 1.5-2 pounds per week.

THIS!

To up the calories to 1200 and add exercise without eating back at least most of those calories you're just in the same cycle. Aim for a net of AT LEAST 1200.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving such great advice! Jammie you have so many wonderful people behind you here, how can you not succeed? :happy:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR? If you weigh 400lbs, and are average height (I used 5'6") your BMR is 2500+ calories. So if you ate 2000 a day with some exercise you could probably easily lose 2lbs a week. So, as everyone has said, being as big as you are, you need to eat more to fuel your body. Make those 2000 calories count with healthy foods and you'll be full all day and lose weight. Good luck on your journey.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!! Plus some exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block right now. 1200 calories is not NEAR enough for you to maintain a loss. I started at 215 and was at 1500 calories WITH a deficit. You can't starve yourself thin, and 1200 a day will cause you to stop losing. That thing about making the 2000 calories count is spot on. veggies, fresh meats fish and dairy, low sugar, 2-3 fruits and you're good to go (and watch your sodium, and LOTS of water) I agree that you need to see a doctor for guidance, but take even what they have to say with a grain of salt. Even they can be misguided sometimes.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level like?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough, yeah I know weird huh? I plateaued for like 3 months and then increased my calorie intake from 1100 to 13-1600 on top of exercising and it worked.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You still need more than 1200 calories. Stay positive and keep tracking, but please please PLEASE increase your calories.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Make sure you see a registered dietician as well.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Eating a sensible amount of calories will help I am on 1500 and I am losing about 2lb a month with about 70lbs to lose now. You will work out what is best for you but 1000 is not enough. Being hungry will also make you down emotionally and there is no need for it. Eat a good diet with plenty of fresh fruit & veggies. That is good for the whole family so make that a golden rule for everyone to eat fresh. Take a little exercise. If you are very big it is hard but walking to the store or to the park with your son or school will help boost your metabolism & make you feel better with those endorphins. Make sure you have some big friends on here & also some that have come some way on their journey. It is going to take some time but it is the only way........one day at a time. You can do it girl!
    Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey hun!
    Just thought I'd add a tid bit from weight of the nation (new hbo documentary). I thought it was interesting that once we are obese as adults, our brains fight losing weight due to a drop in the hormone leptin. SO just remember it is a fight the whole way, and sometimes your emotions are a bit out of your control. Also...what everyone else said: 1200-1300 calories and cut down the sodium. If I eat a lot of sodium...I retain water for about a week.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What does MFP say your calorie intake should be? For someone your size, I would think it would be a lot higher then 1200. I weigh 133 and i'm at 1200 calories per day and I do eat back my workout calories. Please be careful, like everyone said, you def are not eating enough.

Good luck!
    Sheila
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1200 cals will do it either. You can try it, but just keep in mind that I am guessing you should be eating around 1800 just as a total guess. This is a situation where less is not better.

Everyone is telling you to eat more, but they are not telling you why. The reason is that you are starving your body, and therefore it is holding on to everything you put into it in a survival mode. The more you feed it, up to a point, the more willing it will be to let go and allow itself to get out of survival mode and release the fat.

If you go here www.fitnessfrog.com and calculate your TDEE, and then subtract about 15 to 20% of that, that is how much you should eat daily to lose a lb per week. You might have to make small adjustments, but it should be pretty right on. Give it about a month or so. And, you can increase your intake slowly. Like 100 cals per week until you get up to where you should be. You might gain weight at first, but it's just water don't worry.

Good luck.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to give you (((((hugs))))). Hang in there, I know it sucks when we are doing everything we think we should and we still aren't seeing results. Listen to the people here, they have a lot of great suggestions/ideas. And remember, you are worth it and you can do this. Everyone's journey is different but the result is worth the ups and downs of the journey.
  • jammiemd
    jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for the advice. I really do appreciate it and it helps to know that so many people actually care enough to stop and respond. I know that this will be a long journey, but i'm willing to do what it takes. I will be upping my calorie intake and am going to start monitoring my sodium intake...that was a great suggestion. I'm not giving up this time. It's so hard to eat when i'm just not hungry. Im sure increasing (or starting...) an exercise routine would help with that. You are all great and i'm happy to know that there are others out there on the same trying journey as I am.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!