infomercial equipment - what have you used that works??

Options
WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I'm so confused by all the gadgets advertised - they all look good but i don't want to waste my money on something that
A. might not work or
B I might not enjoy using or
C both

Anyway I would love to hear from all you lovely people as to what you use and if it has given you results

I'm interested in the Abdoer Twist as i have hurt my lower back and hoping to strenghen it
Also like the look of the Total Gym and Total Flex but the price tags are high

Anyway all thoughts welcome

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    The only one that I bought in infomercial that works for me is the tae bo video workout when it was first advertised there. The rest are just sitting there thick with dust & cobwebs.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that

I have a few DVDs in my collection but due to back injury have to do low impact - which is why I thought the equipement might help

:)
  • fatgirlslimagain
    Options
    Thanks for that

I have a few DVDs in my collection but due to back injury have to do low impact - which is why I thought the equipement might help

ps That Billy Banks is a scream. he makes me smile
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    ab_wheel_model_lg.jpg
  • fatgirlslimagain
    Options
    OMG - are you trying to kill me? LOL
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that

ps That Billy Banks is a scream. he makes me smile

haha yeah me too.

Lately I haven't been watching infomercials so I have no idea about the new items that they sell there but I don't recommend the ab-rocker especially on your back pain. We have the ab-rocker that my dad is still using but honestly his body still looks the same & that gadget didn't change his physique. One time i tried it out of curiosity & it hurt my back. I once remember the time-works which is an elliptical trainer machine that is low impact but now I have no idea how much does it cost.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    my 2c? there's not one single one (beside that ab wheel roller) that do much of anything.

dont buy any of them.

go to a garage sale and buy some old weight plates and a barbell.
    OR
    spend the cash you would normally waste on those informercial peices of garbage and buy a Kettlebell.

enjoy life.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    my 2c? there's not one single one (beside that ab wheel roller) that do much of anything.

dont buy any of them.

go to a garage sale and buy some old weight plates and a barbell.
    OR
    spend the cash you would normally waste on those informercial peices of garbage and buy a Kettlebell.

enjoy life.

this :happy:
  • fatgirlslimagain
    Options
    that's easy for you guys to say - I majorly injured my disks last year and while it took me nearly 4 months to be able to walk upright I haven't completely recovered. I want to find something to build up my core without putting me back in traction.

i have to work my way up to a wheel but I appreciate your response

ps those abs look AMAZING!!
  • bryonysten
    bryonysten Posts: 44
    Options
    What about gentle exercises on a swiss ball, or a bosu ball? A swiss ball you could even sit on instead of a chair and the instability will help your core get stronger (which is what you need if you have a bad back) and then you can start doing some other light exercises. I would also potentially get some light weights and do a bit with them. Lunges and weighted arm exercises together will have more effect on your physique that some informercial piece of *kitten*.
    Swimming and rebounding are also both total body low impact workouts.
    Just my twopennorth.
    Good luck
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My PT had me swimming, which is surprisingly core-intensive. Also, doing lots of different things on a bosu ball... (misery). Yoga DVDs are pretty good too. There's this one that uses a swiss ball, I forget the title, but it's really gentle on the spine. :)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    that's easy for you guys to say - I majorly injured my disks last year and while it took me nearly 4 months to be able to walk upright I haven't completely recovered. I want to find something to build up my core without putting me back in traction.

i have to work my way up to a wheel but I appreciate your response

ps those abs look AMAZING!!

I would start with basic planks and work on that. They are one of the best core exercises around and no equipment required. You can increase the difficulty with lifting legs, arms, RKC style as you progress.

I wouldn't do anyting with spinal twising basically. I think they are an injury waiting to happen and with previous history I would defiitely avoid.

And thanks :smile:
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a totaly gym that I love! We bought it used and it has paid for itself several times over. We also bought one of those ab machines that look like a big red circle. It wasn't worth it at ail for us. It's going in the yard sale.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've seen infomercials for the Rip 60 suspension trainer based workout program. I am confident that works as I own two suspension trainers which I love and they have done me well!

Also, The Rack is a great functional fitness tool. Some of the exercises you do on it are awkward but mostly it's a nice piece of kit.

I also own the Body By Jake Tower 200. Not worth the money because it's basically a glorified set of resistance bands with an elaborate door hook that's no better thna a $50 set of bands + door hook.
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    None have worked for me :grumble: I would say the best exercise I have taken part in is Swimming if you can get to the local pool - great for an all over body workout :bigsmile:
  • billgiersberg
    billgiersberg Posts: 163
    Options
    Considering the injury you mentioned, I am thinking your question might be better answered by asking a certified physical therapist what would be wise for you.

I myself have a TotalGym, a Smooth Fitness elliptical and an Ab-Lounger.

When I first got the Ab-Lounger I was barely able to do 50 reps. After a while I got to 500 but it wasn't really doing much for me. I found a website designed for TotalGym users and found out there how to do ab crunches and they are what started kicking my butt. The Ab-Lounger is now hanging on a rafter in my shed. It definately does not deserve the amount of floor space it requires.

The Smooth Fitness elliptical is great. The movement is very smooth and uniform throughout the 360 degrees of travel and the mechanism is quiet. After we had it a few weeks, I was in a sports superstore and tried some of the floor model ellipticals. I found them to be uneven in movement and some had more pivot points in the mechanism than a 1940's era steam locomotive. They were cheaper than the Smooth Fitness model and they felt it too. I knew I would not enjoy using them as much and therefore, probably would not use them. When I got the elliptical, I was able to use it 5, then 10 minutes. Now I am able to go an hour and more at it's midway resistance level. I thought cardio was the right thing for me but I found out that it was weight training that did more for me than anything else. I now do cardio only twice a week but my wife uses the elliptical more often than that.

I have had a TotalGym for years and for years I was using it wrong. It was not until I found a website designed for TotalGym users that I began to use the thing right and see real results. At the website I was able to plug in specifics about myself and my goals and the online trainer designed a workout program for me. Every 6 weeks I updated it and it designed a new program. I stuck with it. Today I am adding weights to the sled to increase the intensity of the workout. On other exercises, I need to lower the angle which quickly changes the resistance. I find it easier to remember to do biceps at levels 6, 5, 4 than try to remember to curl 135 lbs, 100lbs, 80 lbs, etc. etc.

WIll TotalGym cause you to bulk up? Go to their website and look at some of the before and after pictures of the women there and ask yourself if they look bulky to you. Is the TotalGym good for a guy training for Mr. Universe? Probably not... they really need free weights. Does it work for me? A couple of weeks ago I went to see my doctor for a routine physical. He was very happy I had lost some weight but he kept commenting about muscle mass. My guess is he has seen quite a few guys my age in his office who do not exercise and have gotten soft. When he checked my heartbeat, he commented about chest muscle mass. When I sat up after he palpated my abdomen, he even commented about thigh muscle mass. I'd say the TotalGym works but like any thing you decide to get, you'll only get out of it what you put into it.... ie: You reap what you sow.

I think I could get similar results with a nice weight bench and an adjustable set of dumbbells at a lower price. The key is to learn how to use them. I am very happy with the two pieces of equipment I have for the reason that they work great for me AND they also work for my wife. We have entirely different sets of goals and the same equipment is eaisly changed to meet our goals where we are at.
  • stlbluesangel
    stlbluesangel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suckered myself into getting a set of Yoga Booty Ballet DVD's several years ago.
    They're not terrible and I still pull them out occasionally and do my 20 - 30 minute cardio workout to them when I feel like doing something a little different.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    Options
    thanks for all your replies - some great responses.

I have been using the pool since the injury late Novembear but mainly running in the water and using foam weights for arms toning. It has helped and I think I wouldn't have got where I am today without aqua-therapy.

Might be time to add some laps and just keep at it.

cheers :)