weight lifting for women-question about arms

Options
Kali112
Kali112 Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone, i have just started following Jamie Eason's livefit plan for heavy lifting for women. I am 22 and need to lose around 15lbs of body fat. My question is this-although i KNOW everyone says lifting heavy for women does not make you bulky as we don;t have enough testosterone blah black, i do NOT want big arms. For example, this is jamie eason, who says weightlifting will not make you bulky:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=jamie+eason&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1024&bih=544&tbm=isch&tbnid=Bh2l59TpvnfIZM:&imgrefurl=http://contest.bodybuilding.com/bio/193611/&docid=jgu12Ohjo2xx3M&imgurl=http://www.bodybuilding.com/contest_media/18232/193611/d/img_00011296502361.jpg&w=533&h=800&ei=1oy7T4LJBsfd8AP-17zHCg&zoom=1

To me, her arms look pretty bulky. I know she looks great but i personally don't want arms like that. Before everyone jumps on me and attacks me for not wanting a proportional body, i feel like my arms are already quite big for my frame and i do NOT want them to get ANY bigger. However i do want the rest of my body to be like hers. My question-is this possible? Should I just skip working out on arms, or if i do work on them, keep it minimal? Eg if I am working 5 different areas of the body in a week, should I skip the arm part and do a double glutes instead? I know it would take a lot of hard work to get them like her's, but like i said, mine are already big.

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Put a picture of your arms up and let's see.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Your arms are big because there is fat on them.. you lose the fat, and they will get smaller. Her arms look like that because she has really low body fat in that picture.

If you don't want arms like that, then don't let your body fat get that low.. that simple.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think having arms like that would rock!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be different - by big do you mean they have some fat on them? - if so you may find they get more toned with lifting.

I work out with a lot of women who lift multiple times a week (4-5) and none of them look like Jamie Eason (although I would LOVE to look like that) - I am betting Jamie Eason also eats to a certain regime of loads of protien and such to maintain her muscle mass. Most of them are nicely toned and none jiggly.

Something to think about when doing a lifting program - drink lots of water and be prepared for the scale to move slowly if you are a scale watcher....as you work and work your muscles you want your body to be well hydrated as water is needed for muscle repair - as your muscles are repairing it will hold on to water - so it is even possible to see an uptick in the scale when you begin. Your best bet to mark changes is to use measurements and an item of clothing that is currently too tight or doesn't fit.

I have been lifting for 6 months (along with a pretty clean diet, high in good fats and protien) and I have lost about 15lbs in that time but people think I have lost 30 + lbs...because my body has changed quite a bit...
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your arms are big because there is fat on them.. you lose the fat, and they will get smaller. Her arms look like that because she has really low body fat in that picture.

If you don't want arms like that, then don't let your body fat get that low.. that simple.

Also to add: Jamie Eason's body is her profession. You will not look like her from going to the gym 3x a week for 30 minutes.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I don't find that body type attractive if I'm honest. But she has worked very hard to get like that so I wouldn't worry too much about it happening accidentally. As someone has posted above - it is a case of fat on muscle and if you think you've gone too far then it's not permanent.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Jamie's body fat is probably around 12 - 14%, and she's likely "dehydrated" in that pic.

<--- is what lifting heavy has done for my arms so far. My body fat is probably around 23% currently.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

You know how people always say "muscle weighs more than fat" blah blah blah? it's because muscle is more DENSE than fat so like dad 106 said, gaining muscle in your arms would probably make them look smaller, the muscle would take up less space than the fat on your arm. They would only get bigger if you're gaining muscle AND retaining all your body fat. I am on week 3 of P90X and my arms have gotten noticeably smaller with a little definition but there's WAY less underarm jiggle! :laugh: I.e. you don't have to worry about looking like a man.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i have just started following Jamie Eason's livefit plan for heavy lifting for women. I am 22 and need to lose around 15lbs of body fat. My question is this-although i KNOW everyone says lifting heavy for women does not make you bulky as we don;t have enough testosterone blah black, i do NOT want big arms. For example, this is jamie eason, who says weightlifting will not make you bulky:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=jamie+eason&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1024&bih=544&tbm=isch&tbnid=Bh2l59TpvnfIZM:&imgrefurl=http://contest.bodybuilding.com/bio/193611/&docid=jgu12Ohjo2xx3M&imgurl=http://www.bodybuilding.com/contest_media/18232/193611/d/img_00011296502361.jpg&w=533&h=800&ei=1oy7T4LJBsfd8AP-17zHCg&zoom=1

To me, her arms look pretty bulky. I know she looks great but i personally don't want arms like that. Before everyone jumps on me and attacks me for not wanting a proportional body, i feel like my arms are already quite big for my frame and i do NOT want them to get ANY bigger. However i do want the rest of my body to be like hers. My question-is this possible? Should I just skip working out on arms, or if i do work on them, keep it minimal? Eg if I am working 5 different areas of the body in a week, should I skip the arm part and do a double glutes instead? I know it would take a lot of hard work to get them like her's, but like i said, mine are already big.

Jamie Eason is sssmoking hot. She's got muscle tone, she's not bulky. I would recommend following her plan to the "T".
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Your BIceps and triceps are secondary muscles that are worked when you do chest or back exercises. If you want to avoid the big muscles than don't spot train them (exercises where they are the primary muscles).

If you do a pull up/chin up etc you will be working your bicep. Same goes for triceps when you do any chest presses. If you want to add more tone/definition you can add a couple Bi and Tri exercises into your routine.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That's what heavy lifting as a job and very low bf% looks like on the arms. Also, because she knew she was going to have photo ops she may have lifted before making her appearance. Generally this is what heavy lifting and a moderate bf% looks like:

shoes-front.jpg

this is what the rest of my body looks like (see, not as cut as Jamie):

Before.jpg

The "bulk" comes from a larger bf%, the cut (like Jamie) comes from a low bf%. So for the look you want, you want to life heavy and keep your bf% moderate (probably 18 - 20%).
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I lit pretty heavy 4 days a week, and my arms don't look like that. They are defined, but not anything like hers. She must consume a lot of protein. I don't think you need to worry about looking like her.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To get your arms big you need to lift heavy with lower reps. if you want your arms toned but not bulky, you need to cut the weight right down and do alot of reps. When I say alot I mean alot. My brother in law has been a body builder for years and knows his stuff. he normally goes heavy but I don't. What I normally do is for arms is I only do three exercises for biceps because it's the smallest muscle in the body. To start with barbell curls I'll start with a 45 lb barbell and do 50 to 60 reps, second set add 10 lbs and do 40 to 50 and third set add 10 more and do about 30 reps. Then I'll do one more set where I'll drop the weight to 30 pounds and do as many reps as I can until failure. I'm telling you your arms will be very sore the next day and they will get toned without getting really big. You can do the same with your triceps, but maybe do an extra exercise for you tri's as they are a much bigger muscle. And you can really do that type of workout with any body part if you don't want to be huge. Keep in mind if you need to lose any weight, you won't really notice until the weight comes off as there will still be body fat there.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Your BIceps and triceps are secondary muscles that are worked when you do chest or back exercises. If you want to avoid the big muscles than don't spot train them (exercises where they are the primary muscles).

If you do a pull up/chin up etc you will be working your bicep. Same goes for triceps when you do any chest presses. If you want to add more tone/definition you can add a couple Bi and Tri exercises into your routine.

This ^ and Jaime worked really hard to specifically get that look I'm sure doing lots of isolation work. Your arms are going to get smaller and more defined. Defined is not bulky, but it is sexy. Who wants boring straight cylinders for arms? Keep in mind also that when you see body builders/fitness models in photos they train and get pumped for that photo shoot. Even they don't look that muscular every day of the week.
  • Kali112
    Kali112 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for the advice...:) much appreciated
  • rugbygirlca
    rugbygirlca Posts: 85
    Options
    Don't forget that it can all depend on the picture. Check out the picture of her signing autographs. Her arms don't look even remotely bulky.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think having arms like that would rock!

YES!!! =)
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others are saying. I am on day 45 of live fit, and this is what my arms look like flexing. I am around 150 lbs 5'6 and still need to work on cutting my bf%. I say follow the program as is. I am sure she did alot to get ready for photoshoots (lifting, diet, cutting out water, etc). I doubt you will look like that on a daily basis. Good Luck. I love the program so far.

2012-04-26201736.jpg
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are also lots of ways to lift. I have a friend doing it right now and she WANTS her arms. If you don't want the results of the program then I would suggest trying something else that will get you working toward the results you want. Bodyrock.tv, HIIT training with weights or KBs, TRX. These are all forms of non traditional weightlifting using more body weight with the goal of fat loss AND weight loss. Some of these other programs are based on fat loss and muscle gain (which is great for some but not always the goal).
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The picture is also the day of the iron man so I'm pretty sure she carb depleted that week for the show making her arms look more defined. She also has a very low body fat % making em seem "big"