Need Some "Barefoot" Running Advice

Options
Hey y'all,

First, just a little about myself. I'm a very lucky father of two, husband of one. The past couple of years, I've gone through cycles of exercise/eating right and then...not doing so. I feel like I have finally turned a corner since I found MFP because it offers me the accountability I just don't get anywhere else.

Anyways, to the meat of my post. I'm on my last week of C25K. About half-way through the program, I saw an ad for the Warrior Dash. For those of you that don't know, it's a 5K/Mud Run/Obstacle Course type race. I saw that the event was coming to my state for the first time this fall and thought it would be a great goal to look forward to, especially since it wasn't for another 5 months. The closer it gets, and the further along I get with my running, the more I want to not only finish the event, but also be competitive. Now, I'm currently a card-carrying member of the heel-toe running style, but have read that "Barefoot" style is much more condusive to these types of events, and actually a more natural style. Last night, I went to the local specialty shoe store (the kind that the runners go to, not the kind that also sells fishing equipment), and had them recommend shoe for me. In case you were wondering, we settled on a Brooks PureFlow since I need a "Cushion" Shoe based on my foot anatomy.

Now for my question:

When I decided to do this race, I also told myself I would not stop at a 5K distance for endurance training. I have already downloaded the C210K app for my phone and found the point in it that I would pick up at to transition from C25K. As I said earlier, this is my last week of C25K. However, the shoes I picked out last night will be my Fathers Day gift from my wife and children. So, here's my question for all the seasoned runners out there:

Should I stick to where I'm currently at in the program (30 Minute Runs at least 3 days a week) until I get the new shoe since it will require me to alter my running style? Or should I just keep going as I am and see how far I can go the first week or so when I get new shoes.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with running but can advice against not using Vibrams for training calves
    I went through 2 pairs, both took quite a beating from calve raises
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm confused: it doesn't take much! But I don't think the Brooks PureFlow is a barefoot or minimal shoe. It is a neutral cushioned shoe.

Are you confusing Neutral cushioning (where the runner neither over or under pronates but may still heel strike) with Barefoot where the runner trends to land mid sole or up on the ball of the foot and therefore needs little to no cushioning?

This confuses me even more:
    I don't have any experience with running but can advice against not using Vibrams for training calves
    I went through 2 pairs, both took quite a beating from calve raises

does that mean you do recommend Vibrams for training calves or not and either way is that something the OP needs to worry about?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on the "barefoot" running, and a sudden conversion to it can put you out with an injury, BADLY. I'm not saying that "barefoot running" is a bad idea, because it appears to be good, but you haven't trained for it.

When you start training, you strengthen all the needed muscles simultaneously. Your legs, your knees, your hips, etc are all probably pretty buff right now. But your ankles and feet, and specifically the muscles that you'll need for "barefoot" running, have been protected and cushioned by your non-barefoot running shoes. If you try to go out and run at the level you are at now, you are opening yourself up for stress fractures, muscle pulls, and a number of other things that can take you off your feet for months.

Just take it really easy at first and remember that your ankles and feet are not ready to run at the level the rest of your body is - yet.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot runner (Vibram) and I never sis the training program for switching shoe styles, but I was also never a heel toe runner. I'd go out in them once for a short run (about a mile or two) and see how you feel. If you're feeling good two days after, I see no reason not to jump in where you left off in C210K. Otherwise, go slow!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If he does any weight training with calves, he should use flat shoes with somewhat thick soles (vibrams break eventually)
    However, most vibram wearers do get some pretty amazing calve development simply by walking
    My calves grew about 1 inch the first year I used vibrams

Sorry for the confusion
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can use a mid-foot strike (barefoot running style) in any type of shoe, minimal or traditional, although it's a bit easier in a minimal shoe. Switching your running form will stress your muscles in a different way than heel-strike, so I would suggest backing your distance way down if you plan to transition to a minimal shoe or a mid-foot strike and work your way back up. You have time before your race in the fall. See if your running shop offers a "Good Form Clinic" where they teach you about mid-foot strike and actually video your running stride to help you through the transition.

Best of luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call the brooks pureflow a "barefoot" shoe. The biggest difference you will notice is the lesser heel drop compared to a normal shoe. That shouldn't cause you much issues switching over. Maybe some slight added stress to your calves. I would keep your normal schedule but also be a little cautious and see how your legs feel when you switch.

Also just wearing those shoes most likely won't alter your running style unless you make a concerted efffort to do so.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can easily stick with where you're at in your training, as the PureFlow isn't a completely minimal shoe. While I use a slightly more substantial shoe for my regular runs (Nike LunarGlide), I have a pair of the Brooks PureConnect for shorter runs and for day to day exercise. I have a few other more minimal shoes that I rotate in for shorter trail runs, as well. The difference between the two is not overly great since the Brooks still do have some cushioning. In fact, unlike Vibrams or Newtons they don't "force" you to run with a mid- or forefoot strike, there's just a little less shock absorption, so it is somewhat more comfortable to do so. I would alternate your current shoe with the Brooks for awhile so you get used to the feel, then transition after a couple of weeks, paying attention to your form. I will say that for the Warrior Dash, be prepared for your shoes to get trashed...that is, hang on to an old pair of whatever you end up liking the best to use just for that event. Best wishes!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I personally would never run barefoot. Too many bad things can happen. When I first read about the mid sole running approach, it took me a while before it became natural for me. the best advice I can give is to lean forward a little bit when you run. I found that when I ran upright, it was easy to fall back into the heel strike stride. When I run leaning forward, I run with a mid sole strike.
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I switched to VFFs right after I finished C25K. I did spend a couple of weeks running actually barefoot for some very short stretches (~ 1/4 mile) to help make the transition since I was a big heel striker. It sounds backwards, but many people think it's better to go straight to barefoot first since that really forces you into a midfoot/forefoot strike. For me, it's been all about shortening my stride--once I made an effort to do that, the conversion was pretty smooth and then I started running in my VFFs.

In my case, I was able to transition pretty quickly, because my distances were so small anyway (3 mile runs about 5 times per week). People who put in a lot of mileage seem to have a tough time since they are reluctant to cut down so much while they transition. But you definitely need to go slow and listen to your body.

I don't know what to say about when to transition. I had planned to wait since at the time I was a few weeks away from my first 5K race and didn't want to change until after that, but one day I decided to run about 2.5 miles in my VFFs, and I never looked back. Ran the 5k without a problem. I think it's different for everyone, though. The Barefoot forum at runnersworld.com has a ton of great advice, and plenty of stories from people who transitioned too quickly and regretted it. The consensus there seems to be: start with intervals of 1/4 (or even 1/8) of a mile. And as much as possible, wear them in your everyday activities too.

Tim
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I transitioned from heel-toe running ( resulting in torn knee ligament/ shin splints) to a mid foot strike and would advise going back to the beginning and starting slowly - it uses muscles very differently and you will get tight calves especially if you tense your foot and 'reach' for the floor. the goal technique is running with a mid foot strike and letting my heels 'kiss' the floor seems to prevent calves tightening

I did a lot of research into scientific journals and stuff on barefoot vs shod running ( I cheat and run in minimal shoes) and changing from shod to barefoot is not trivial as you are suddenly using all your muscles in different ways. effectively you have to start again and build up especially as it uses much more of the muscles in the foot that we don't actually activate very often in shoes and your calves effectively act as springs/ shock absorbers (one of the reasons many people get tight / sore calves after).

One of the major initial faults ( that people have) as i discovered from reading blogs, and talking to trainers is that people reach for the ground with their toes/ midfoot, their foot held rigid and then push off again with the toes with their heels never coming down. this does not absorb the impact and the muscles of the foot and calves quickly become painfull.

the foot shouild be relaxed, mid foot strike the heel the comes down gently and kisses ther ground before the the mid foot pushes off. allowing the feet, ankles and legs to absorb the impact like a spring reducing the damage to joints.

now a personal note. I spent allot of time looking at the bio-mechanics of this and listening to my body and i find that for me i have much less pain running with a mid foot strike rather than a heel strike and I do this whatever shoes I am in: barefoot , minimal or traditional. I find it easier to run in minimal shoes because they are more flexible and i can really feel the ground so i get more feedback on how I am running but that's just me. I can tell if i get tired because my form goes and my feet start to slap the ground and i can really feel it. the steps should be small and fast too ( 180 bpm) and speed comes from technique not stride. as you get better you can really push off the ground on every stroke and this speeds you up. but you can't stride out like heel toe running as this will return you to a heel strike and if i do this i can really feel the impact.

hope my long rambling reply helps and happy running - however works for you.

I am not an expert, just an interested scientist and my advice is no way professional , just what i have found out.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I personally would never run barefoot. Too many bad things can happen. When I first read about the mid sole running approach, it took me a while before it became natural for me. the best advice I can give is to lean forward a little bit when you run. I found that when I ran upright, it was easy to fall back into the heel strike stride. When I run leaning forward, I run with a mid sole strike.

this too definitely
    it is the best piece of advice but lean from your ankles not the waist if that makes sense!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My minimalist shoes helped me get away from being a heel striker and I've been pain free since I bought them. I only wear them about once a week and on short runs, because I do a lot of running on sidewalks and I worry about the lack of cushioning. They also taught me how to be a little bit lighter on my feet.

The best advice I can give if you change your shoes is just to start off slow. Whether it's a barefoot, minimalist, or a midfoot striking shoe, don't try to run in them like you would with your previous shoes. Start off slower than you normally would and focus on your stride, don't expect the shoe to do all the work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I ran in my Komodo Sport's to get a "feel" for them I ran about a mile then walked the rest (1.8 miles total). I'm in pretty good shape and can say today, that my calves and quads feel a little bit more sore than usual. The great thing is that during that whole run, I felt no slight ankle pain (which I get from my running shoes) and that it felt much more "natural" than I thought. Got a lot of weird looks though. Eh, wait till I start running topless when I drop a little more bodyfat.................they'll stop looking at the shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot runner (Vibram) and I never sis the training program for switching shoe styles, but I was also never a heel toe runner. I'd go out in them once for a short run (about a mile or two) and see how you feel. If you're feeling good two days after, I see no reason not to jump in where you left off in C210K. Otherwise, go slow!

I would keep running with the current shoes that you have and try to increase the distance. Once you get the new shoes, cut the distance and time by 2/3rds and take a rest day in between. You can increase from there.
  • kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the leaning forward. You can adopt this now in your current shoes (but will have to think about it) and then transition into your new shoes. I changed my running style after many bouts plantar fasciitis. This ends up with me taking shorter strides also, with no effect on my times, and I have been injury free (**knock on wood**). When you strike mid-foot you are propelling forward. When you heel strike you are literally stopping yourself with each step. (In case you need some incentive) I run in more neutral supportive shoes (Mizuno Wave Riders) and the Brooks Pure Flow. The Brooks will force the mid foot strike but now I can do it in any type of shoe since I am used to it. I don't have to think about it anymore. (Don't they say it takes ~20 times before something becomes a habit?) I would not say Brooks are minimalist but they are not exactly supportive either!

Good luck with your race!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'll add to this is start slowly with the minimalist shoes, should you decide to go that way. You will use your muscles differently and you'll need to strenghten the muscles in your feet. This is where most folks go wrong and get injured and add to the "bad press" of barefoot running.

I always had problems running in regular shoes and I always thought I hated running. I've been using barefoot shoes for about a year and a half for working out, hiking and even zumba. I've recently started jogging and notice that my joints feel better when I jog either barefoot or using the barfoot shoes, as I've learned to cushion my strike. For the first time, I'm contemplating the Cto25K and may even do the Zombie run in October.

I had problems with plantar fasciitis for about a year, and decided to try the barfoot shoes to strengthen my feet rather than depend on arch supports. I started slowly and now prefer them to any other shoe. I haven had an issue with plantar faciitis in over a year.

Hope this helps
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Try to break them in on one of your rest days and go for a walk. Then on your next run day go light, at maybe half intensity. Gauge how you feel and go from there. I would definitely suggest starting slow and not trying to go all out right off the bat.
  • SickofBeingChub
    Options
    I personally have been wearing vibrams for years. I have run over 25 adventure races (Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, Metro Dash, etc) and dozensof standard races. I took a few months off from running when i moved and started wearing sneakers again (Nike Free with amazing knee high socks, i wanted to look cute) and i couldnt believe how many injuries i was getting - knees, hip, ankles and of couse shin splints. Finally i had to give up the cute outfits and go back to my vibrams. I did a 5k the first day and yes i was a little sore, but nothing crazy. now three months later, my body is back to being injury free. I will never make the mistake of working out in sneakers again.

Also running adventure races in sneakers is AWFUL! They get so wet and heavy that the run becomes miserable. I highly reccomend using lighter shoes before the race.

Best of luck!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    When I bought my Vibrams, the store had a brochure from Vibram about switching to running in them. I believe it's on their website as well. I would think the suggestions would help when switching to any kind of more minimalist type shoe.

Basically, you should do some foot exercises for awhile. Things like picking up a pencil with your feet, etc. Also, just wear the shoes around the houses and for general walking for awhile to ensure your body and feet get used to them. Do all this for a week or two prior to running in them.

Once you start running in them, only run about 10% of your distance in them and then switch to your other shoes. Each week, add another 10% until you are running in them 100% of your distance.

This makes sense to me. Hope it helps!