Best (Healthiest) Sources of Potassium

Options
I've been noticing a distinct increase in muscle cramps lately doing everyday things. I'm sure it could be a million things, but I'd like to start with upping my potassium intake.

All I've really been told in the past is bananas. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are some smoothies that are also high in potassium. I can't think of the name of the one that I sometimes get.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Avocados, dried apricots and raisins are all great sources too.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Brocilli, Orange Juice (not oranges unless you eat the skin---- ewww) baked potato skins
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's the Naked brand smoothie...had to look it up! lol
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing a distinct increase in muscle cramps lately doing everyday things. I'm sure it could be a million things, but I'd like to start with upping my potassium intake.

V8 juice, low sodium. 35% of the upper limit of K per day.
    Other delicious foods include most fish- salmon, tuna in particular. Google High Potassium foods and you will get a list.
    I started monitoring my K when I had the same issue. Try to keep it around 3000-4000 mg a day and don't have that issue any more.
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Amy & Brian Natural Coconut Juice without pulp. There are plenty of other brands but that is my favorite!
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and tomatoes
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    i was told by a personal trainer that bananas are one of the highest potassium foods
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bananas I believe are a good source.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Go to an asian grocery and get some sheets of dried seaweed. When crumbled up they make a great seasoning replacement for salt and it is high in potassium.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

I don't feel like typing, so here is a site where it lists potassium rich food

http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-rich-foods.html
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Coconut water, it has even more potassium than bananas.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Most foods have potassium in them but they are not required to list it. Brussels sprouts, potatoes with skin, ect. Campbells select harvest has soups loaded with potassium. Also tomato soups and sauce is loaded as well.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
    Figs, dry 2 figs 271
    Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
    Lima beans 1 cup 955
    Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
    Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407
    Nectarines 1 nectarine 288
    Orange juice 1 cup 496
    Oranges 1 orange 237
    Pears (fresh) 1 pear 208
    Potatoes, baked, 1 potato 1081
    Prune juice 1 cup 707
    Prunes, dried 1 cup 828
    Raisins 1 cup 1089
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
    Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909
    Winter squash 1 cup 896
  • Chandibari
    Chandibari Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question last month and here is one of the responses I received. Also recommended were low sodium V8 and coconut water (check the label as some brands have more than others).

As a cardio nurse, I get this question all the time. First taking a potassium supplement is always an option IF YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU NEED TO TAKE ONE. HYPERTENSION ALONE IS NOT A REASON TO TAKE POTASSIUM. Ingesting too much potassium can cause arrhythmias so it is important to remain in contact with your pcp on what he wishes for your intake of potassium.

If you would rather include them in your food, trust me, most people are shocked at how low bananas are in potassium. Here are a list of foods for you we use at our cardiovascular heart center
    1. Tomatoes over 800
    2. Spinach over 800
    3. winter squash over 800
    4. prunes over 800
    5.potatoes over 800 (need to eat the skin)
    6. lima beans over 800

Again- your electrolytes specifically: potassium, magnesium, and calcium can alter the way your heart is able to function electrically so make sure your pcp wants you on an increassed potassium diet.There are not a ton of foods with over 800mg of potassium but there are a lot of resources of there to incorporate some in to every meal. Google search is great for that.
  • Parsosa
    Parsosa Posts: 22
    Options
    Here is a good list:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

I eat alot of fresh spinach which has over 600 mg/ cup of potassium. Lentles is also another really good cheap source.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Dried Chervil weights in at 4.7 grams of potassium per 100 grams or 95mg per tablespoon. Here is a list of 20 natural sources of potassium.
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
    :wink:

Cheers
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Broccoli & potatoes, Gatorade and Nuun electrolyte enhanced drink tablets that you put in water. I don't like the taste of Nuun by itself tho so I put it in sugar free koolaid..

Mine gets low and I do the same thing, muscle cramps and then if it's really low I have heart palpitations really bad and end up in the ER with a potassium iv. and then go home with a prescription supplement for a month! :( I now take a One a Day for Women multi-vitamin and haven't had any problems, even though I sweat like crazy while working out. I'm also eating healthier than I was though!

And just so you know, If your potassium gets too low you may also be low in magnesium. Low magnesium can trigger migraines. (according to my neurologist), so you want to avoid that too.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to be potassium deficient if you eat a majority of foods from whole/fresh sources
    (My money is on magnesium or salt deficiency for causing muscle cramps, but no one can tell unless you actually get tested)

Good potassium sources: coconut water, V8, any whole vegetable/dairy/meat
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, avocados, tomatoes, low-sodium tomato juice or V8 (actually has more than the regular variety), and surprisingly pork (haha, only because I started tracking it, do I know).

1 cup (8 oz) of low sodium tomato juice has 2.5 times the potassium of a small banana.