Struggling and need to lose a huge amout of weight.

Options
I am 45 years old and struggling with my weight. I am gaining instead losing. I am about 80 lbs. overweight, 30 of it I have gained in the last 2 years. I am having a hard time doing regular exercise routines or even walking because my knees, ankles and back hurts after due to being so over weight. Does anyone have any workout and food plan suggestions? I need to know how much carbs/protein/fat and calories I should be eating daily to get this weight loss going, I feel SO TERRIBLE and EXHAUSTED everyday. I need any help I can get.

Replies

• laineywood113
    laineywood113 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm a 49 year old mom and need to lose 100 lbs. I have arthritis in both my hips and knees and find it hard to do anything more cardio than walking at this point. I walk up and down my street in the evening and I downloaded some exercise apps to my phone, anything just to get moving, even if it's just marching in place.

Good luck to you!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It can seem daunting to have such an amount to lose and having it work against you.

I would suggest to first

1) set intermediate goals that have NOTHING to do with lbs - example, eating at your calorie goal for 1 week at a time
    2) give yourself non food rewards that support your goals
    3) start small with fitness - if you are eating properly and start to exercise, it'll get easier..walking is a fine starting point
    4) lift weights - any size person can start this and it is vital
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have about 80lb's left to lose feel free to add me I'll try to support and motivate as much as I can, also dont think about how far you have to go, I have 3 sets of goals, the short term goal is always to the next 7lbs, midway goal is 2 stone down by september/october time and then the final goal that I dont think about much!
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Punching can really get the heart rate moving without the impact on your knees... you can sit and do it. Try doing 2 minute intervals to start and work your way up.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm about your age, I'm about 80 pounds overweight and I have dodgy joints, so I understand what you're going through! Walking in particular can be pretty painful. I'd recommend Leslie Sansone's exercise DVDs to start with. There's some on youtube so you can try them out and see what you think. I think they seem to be suited to people who are very overweight and older. They mostly consist of walking on the spot, but I think it's better to do that than nothing!

I've taken up cycling again, which seems to put less strain on my joints than walking. Your weight is supported. Swimming might also be good.

I'm also doing weight training, because at our age, our muscles are wasting. I'm hoping I can reverse the process by lifting weights. I find the weights easier on my joints than some other types of exercise.

Diet-wise, I'm roughly following the No S diet, which means no snacks or sweets on weekdays. I just eat three nutritious meals a day. I'm also logging my calories here, but was losing weight before I started logging. I ate fairly healthy food, but don't cut anything out (apart from the sweet stuff and alcohol during the week). I'm slowly but steadily losing weight, and starting to get some energy back as well, which is great!

I know you've probably already considered this, but thyroid problems can often start at our age, so if you haven't already done so it might be worth getting checked out. You shouldn't be constantly exhausted just because you're overweight. There might be something else happening that you could get treated: thyroid, anaemia, etc.
  • marilynglover
    Options
    try water aerobics food wise just make decision everyday to eliminate unhealthy foods from your diet. one food at a time check out this website iam not diabetic but i like it diabeticlivingonline.com
  • cheria55
    cheria55 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone.
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Punching can really get the heart rate moving without the impact on your knees... you can sit and do it. Try doing 2 minute intervals to start and work your way up.