How can I strengthen my ankles?

Options
poptastic
poptastic Posts: 151 Member
I've always had pretty weak ankles (I often seem to fall to the side on them even when just walking along which can then hurt for a day or two!). I've also never been very good at running, so I used to go on the cross-trainer but as I've got a bit fitter, I want to run on the treadmill with the eventual aim of being able to run outdoors. At the moment I can only do about 15 mins on the treadmill (only started this last week!) but even with that my ankles get a bit painful, and I'm worried I'm going to hurt them and then have to stop exercising until they are better.

Are there any exercises I can do to help build up strength in my ankles, or should I go back to just the cross-trainer?

Replies

• saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    This might sound weird, but focus on strengthening your core more than your ankles. Your ankles will get stronger with exercise like running, but if you do some core workout (pilates, yoga, or just old fashioned planks and kettle bell workouts) then your gait will improve which will reduce the chances of lower leg injury due to poor running form.

Another thing, make sure you are wearing the RIGHT shoes. I seemed to have weak ankles too, kept going over on them and getting sprains. And then I realised that when I run, my big toes hardly even touch the ground, the outside edge of my feet take the most pressure which makes me prone to go over on my ankles! So I got the right shoes to correct underpronation and I haven't even had any bother with my ankles since!! Maybe you have something similar? Anyway, your best plan is to go to a proper running store and get them to analyse how you run and to recommend shoes.
  • raayfrancy
    raayfrancy Posts: 100
    Options
    I had surgery on my ankle in March of 2011. (: And had to build the strength back up in that ankle - what I had to do was:

Use a resistance band! But instead of working out your arms, like they're typically used for... you use it to give your ankles resistance - you move your ankle in different directions and do reps.

Also, spelling out the alphabet with your feet!

Annnd - calf raises help, too!

Hope this helps, best wishes, girl! xo
  • SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Options
    I had a similar issue when I started running. I wore two pair of socks and wrapped my ankles with ace bandage. It really helped and now I don't have to wrap them at all.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Balancing on one foot helps too. Do it for 30 to 60 seconds at a time. Yoga Tree Pose is a good way to do this.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of sprained ankles (and broken legs). I've done more PT on my ankles since I was a teen than most people do in their entire lives. Then I started working with a trainer and have only hurt one once in more than 2 years.

On the leg press use light weights (maybe 1-25lb weight on each side to start) put your feet at the bottom and push up and down. It may burn your calves more than your legs but trust me it's working. On a bosu ball, hold onto a wall or something and stand up and down on your toes for 20-30 reps several times. You can probably do this on a step at home. It will take time, but they will get stronger.

Love,
    Someone with very happy ankles
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all, glad to hear that it's not just something I have to live with! I already do yoga 2-3 times a week but will try the other solutions too, hopefully will be able to run properly soon! :)