BMI Calculator and FDA Height to Weight Ratio BS

Options
In the military I always had to have a weight waiver. My height of 5' 11" according to government (FDA) standards was that my maximum weight should only have been 197 lbs. My waiver was always for 250 pounds. The waiver took into account extreme weight training which of course, helped to add on many pounds of muscle weight. I would always have to undress for the medical examiner. This examiner would then look at the physique, take waiste and neck measurements and say, "No problem for your waiver Sergeant. His fat calopers would indicate 16% bodyfat at 250 pounds.

Today, there is the BMI Calculator. I am currently at 278 pounds and according to this calculator, I have a BMI of 38. If you check the scale for BMI, this number is in the OBESE category. Now consider this point: Neither the FDA Height to Weight ratio nor the BMI calculator take into consideration one's body composition.

FFS! Is all I have to say about it. One more point: My company has drastic reductions for health insurance costs for employees. The reduction rate is dependent soley upon BMI, heart rate, cholesterol counts, blood pressure, etc. My blood pressure is 115/68 and my resting heart rate is 54. Im 278 and have a BMI of 38 (Obeses on the chart) Because of the BMI being so inconclusive regarding my body composition, I cannot receive the health insurance premium reduction.

Thanks to the health industry and the government for wearing blinders and not taking into consideration that some people are heavy but have a body compositon and health indicators (Cholesterol, BP, Heart rate, etc) that are suitable for the individual. :mad:

Replies

• ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OMG that's horrible. Go to your doc and have him write a letter or some type of waiver. For most people, BMI is completely reliable because it's the small minority that weight lift. Docs can take one look at your body and tell if you work out as well.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just ran into the same thing! I had just commented that he was losing too much weight, I know he has been under a lot of stress, when they did a health day at his work. The BMI chart put him borderline overweight! I am like where? He too lifts and has a great body. We are all different, Thank God!, so therefore a chart, diet, lifestyle is not perfect for everyone. Great job on your getting healthier!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    BMI is a horrible indicator for not accounting for leanbody mass, waist/height/hip ratios are much better
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry about your company's policies. that is super lame. they do the same thing with age, but all of these things are just heuristics for them to gauge lots of people easily - they don't care about individuals.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you whole heartedly!, but it's the companies (and doctors) misuse of the BMI charts... the only things they are ment for is children under 16, adults with a poor fitness diet/no real lean mass and OAP's.... Not being biased, its FACT, its what they were designed for!, but hey... there easy so people will keep on using them incorrectly.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Does not count frame....small, med, large
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way - by being in shape, you're saving more in medical expenses than you would save in premiums. Sometimes the extra bucks is worth it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    In the military I always had to have a weight waiver. My height of 5' 11" according to government (FDA) standards was that my maximum weight should only have been 197 lbs. My waiver was always for 250 pounds. The waiver took into account extreme weight training which of course, helped to add on many pounds of muscle weight. I would always have to undress for the medical examiner. This examiner would then look at the physique, take waiste and neck measurements and say, "No problem for your waiver Sergeant. His fat calopers would indicate 16% bodyfat at 250 pounds.

Today, there is the BMI Calculator. I am currently at 278 pounds and according to this calculator, I have a BMI of 38. If you check the scale for BMI, this number is in the OBESE category. Now consider this point: Neither the FDA Height to Weight ratio nor the BMI calculator take into consideration one's body composition.

FFS! Is all I have to say about it. One more point: My company has drastic reductions for health insurance costs for employees. The reduction rate is dependent soley upon BMI, heart rate, cholesterol counts, blood pressure, etc. My blood pressure is 115/68 and my resting heart rate is 54. Im 278 and have a BMI of 38 (Obeses on the chart) Because of the BMI being so inconclusive regarding my body composition, I cannot receive the health insurance premium reduction.

Thanks to the health industry and the government for wearing blinders and not taking into consideration that some people are heavy but have a body compositon and health indicators (Cholesterol, BP, Heart rate, etc) that are suitable for the individual. :mad:

Pics? I would love to see 5'11", 278 <20%.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is insurance companies are in business to make money. That is why they don't care anything about body composition. If they can charge you a higher rate because of your weight, they will
  • dmiller9911
    Options
    My company employs the same measurements for Insurance Credits as well, but because the BMI scale is obviously flawed they allow a waist measurement to be used if BMI is not met. You may ask you company if they can use waist instead. Our insurance is through Anthem Blue Cross, so if yours is similar they may be able to use it.
  • sting8989
    sting8989 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went through the exact same thing when I was in the Marines. I always ran in the top 5% on a physical fittness test however when the took measurement they always said i was like 35 % body fat They claimed I should weigh like 194. I would do 20 pull ups and run a 18:50 3 mile and max out all the other test. My question to them was " How in the hell does someone that is 35% body fat do that?" I was not blessed with a thick neck and it always threw the measuements out the window. I always fit in my uniforms and never looked obese and could keep up or surpass 90% of the company no matter what the obsticle. I was SSgt. Select when I got out I decided I had had enough of the measurements and weigh ins.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

This. I'd bet you're closer to 35%.

Unless you're an NFL center or something.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

This. I'd bet you're closer to 35%.

Unless you're an NFL center or something.

Sorry, OP, but I'm in agreement with these two. The numbers just don't match up to what your are saying.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    pics or i'm going to burn all my calories today laughing.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Seriously I'm just interested to see a pic of someone with those stats. It's blowing my mind to think someone could be only slightly taller than me, over 100lbs heavier, and still have a relatively low BF%. That would just be impressive to see. Your frame must be MASSIVE!
  • robbinsm000
    Options
    The BMI as calculated with mass-height ratio in kg/m^2 is only valid for an average non heavy muscular person. You may consider this a flaw but there are other methods (more advanced) to determine the index of the non average person. You should completely ignore this BMI method, if you are muscular dense.
  • Corey3411
    Corey3411 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your insurance company has found a loop hole to not insure people... Its all about the almighty dollar...
  • ruthvbailey
    ruthvbailey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have just come across some info from Jillian Michaels newletter which indicates that the health system is now looking at the weight ratio being more appropriate that the BMI. Can you explain to me how to calculate this as jillian says you divide hip measurement by waist measurement is this really how its calculated as it is not clear to me how we work it out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!