Body Dysmorphia?? CHECK THIS OUT

Options
So, I've embarked on this treck to lose weight and regain my former glory as a skinny girl from when I was in my twenties. I used to weigh an average of 105 lbs. - 112 lbs. I currently weigh in at 126 lbs. Needless to say, I've been obsessed with hitting the gym and I've actually done quite well, maintained my discipline and have felt great. Then yesterday, I was doing some cleaning and found my old "wonderwoman" workout journal from 2002!!! My heart skipped a beat cuz I could actually compare and see where I was at 23 as compared to now at 32. I felt like Indiana Jones. So I open it to the first page and there were my stats. Here's what I learned.

I had a much higher metabolism back then. I did cardio 10-15 minutes a day and minimal weights and in two months was able to lose 2 inches from my waist, thighs, and hips (all around). and a total of 6 lbs. Ok, so that sucks cuz now I do 45-60 minutes of cardio a day and supplement with 25 minutes of weights, and in two months I've lost a whopping 4 lbs.

HERE'S THE AMAZING PART............My stats at 112 lbs. were practically identical to what they are now. My hips and waist clocked in identically to what they are now....38' and 27' respectively and my thighs were one inch smaller than now. I"ve been beating myself up and it turns out I look the same as I did back then when I was 23 at 112 lbs.. The good news is that I'm more muscular now so I have less bodyfat percentage than I did back then. What I'm doing now is striving to hit or even best my stats from that year and instead of trying to lose 20 lbs. to match the scale, I'm going to try and lose the inches that made me look 106 lbs.!!

Wish me luck and let this be a lesson to all of us that the number on the scale truly is useless. I found the Holy Grail proving it!!!!!

Replies

• kokonutmama
    Options
    rock on! :drinker:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Haha that's awesome!

I've been watching for that weight number... but the true aim is what I see in the mirror and when I can fit in a certain dress :)

Thank you for that necessary reminder!
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thats awesome! i wish i could compare! I did find a formula online to figure out what weight u will be if ur at a certain body fat percentage which was pretty eye opening. Either i had very very little body fat when i was younger or i didnt have much muscle (which i find hard to believe) but it made me change my goals for myself instantly cuz what i thought would be enough to satisfy me wasnt! Its funny how much ur body can change!
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    It's just amazing how rough we are on ourselves and the ridiculous ideals that we set. It really opened my eyes. I wouldn't have believed it had i not seen it with my own eyes!!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    So, I've embarked on this treck to lose weight and regain my former glory as a skinny girl from when I was in my twenties. I used to weigh an average of 105 lbs. - 112 lbs. I currently weigh in at 126 lbs. Needless to say, I've been obsessed with hitting the gym and I've actually done quite well, maintained my discipline and have felt great. Then yesterday, I was doing some cleaning and found my old "wonderwoman" workout journal from 2002!!! My heart skipped a beat cuz I could actually compare and see where I was at 23 as compared to now at 32. I felt like Indiana Jones. So I open it to the first page and there were my stats. Here's what I learned.

I had a much higher metabolism back then. I did cardio 10-15 minutes a day and minimal weights and in two months was able to lose 2 inches from my waist, thighs, and hips (all around). and a total of 6 lbs. Ok, so that sucks cuz now I do 45-60 minutes of cardio a day and supplement with 25 minutes of weights, and in two months I've lost a whopping 4 lbs.

HERE'S THE AMAZING PART............My stats at 112 lbs. were practically identical to what they are now. My hips and waist clocked in identically to what they are now....38' and 27' respectively and my thighs were one inch smaller than now. I"ve been beating myself up and it turns out I look the same as I did back then when I was 23 at 112 lbs.. The good news is that I'm more muscular now so I have less bodyfat percentage than I did back then. What I'm doing now is striving to hit or even best my stats from that year and instead of trying to lose 20 lbs. to match the scale, I'm going to try and lose the inches that made me look 106 lbs.!!

Wish me luck and let this be a lesson to all of us that the number on the scale truly is useless. I found the Holy Grail proving it!!!!!

Just curious how in 2002 you were 23, but in 2009 (7 years later) you're 32? Just curious... :huh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's all about the body fat. Measuring our bodies to former sizes and weights is futile an like comparing apples to oranges. Measure yourself by how you feel, your body fat %, and how you look to yourself. Congratz for realizing this sleepl8s. If more people would forget about the scale and concentrate on how they feel, and on lowering body fat, we'd have a lot more healthy and happy people out there.
  • jenlwren
    Options
    Amen Sister! While the scale is useful, i find that if i can walk in a store, know my size, look hot in any outfit I pick out in that size, than I 'm doing well..
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    chugunitz.....I was born in 1977. I did the math wrong. I caught it after I posted it. I suppose I was 25 then. Is that right? Would you like me to send you my social security number and driver's license ;)?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    chugunitz.....I was born in 1977. I did the math wrong. I caught it after I posted it. I suppose I was 25 then. Is that right? Would you like me to send you my social security number and driver's license ;)?

:laugh: I was just messing with you... Its like one of those things, like my mom was born in a year that ended with a 9, so in 12 years she had covered 3 decades of time... I was hoping there was some weird twist like that so I could use it as a mind twister sometime.
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    Trust me, If I had intended to lie about my age, I would have lied about how old I am NOW!! SHeesh, I wish from now on all I had were 28th birthdays. I know you were joking. We're cool! By the way, you look great, keep up the good work.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Trust me, If I had intended to lie about my age, I would have lied about how old I am NOW!! SHeesh, I wish from now on all I had were 28th birthdays. I know you were joking. We're cool! By the way, you look great, keep up the good work.

I know how you feel, I turned 30 and its like, crap, I'm not young anymore...
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    You turn 30 and it's more like "crap, I'm not young anymore, I can't suffer a hangover anymore, I can't go jogging in the rain anymore because of my arthritis; I can't eat what I want anymore cuz it'll go straight to my thighs."

But also, quality of life goes way up in your 30's. You have more cash flow than you ever did, you got stability. You do cooler things with cooler people.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    You turn 30 and it's more like "crap, I'm not young anymore, I can't suffer a hangover anymore, I can't go jogging in the rain anymore because of my arthritis; I can't eat what I want anymore cuz it'll go straight to my thighs."

But also, quality of life goes way up in your 30's. You have more cash flow than you ever did, you got stability. You do cooler things with cooler people.

Great points...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!