Is anyone bottom heavy?

jenlob
jenlob Posts: 21 Member
I am wondering if there are people out there that have problems losing weight off their bottom half. I have always carried most of me extra weight in my legs. It seems that no matter what I do that is where it goes first. I have lost weight all over but still am upset that I have so much still in my legs. Has anyone had this problem and been able to find a solution?

Replies

• dirtchick97
    dirtchick97 Posts: 58
    I have the exact same problem! Even when I was at my smallest I still have thick thighs and big ol' booty!lol I have just learned to embrace my curves! Some girls are just made this way!
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Although my lower half is smaller now, it is still the largest part of my body. My hips, butt, and thighs are huge to me. My hips measure in now at 41inches, but when I started they were 53inches. Sadly, I don't think there is way to pinpoint this area, just continue to do toning exercises and cardio.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    If there's a solution, I would love to hear it! I still have a lot of fat from my waist down to my knees... and even with all the running I do, I still have what my mom calls "heavy legs." :frown:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I have this issue as well. I carry a disproportionate amount of weight in my butt. Nowhere else. As you know, you can't spot reduce. The only thing you can do is get down to your lowest healthy weight (including body fat %) and if it still really bothers you, consider liposuction.

When I lose weight from my hips and butt, I also lose it from my bust, which just maintains my pear shape.

I also recommend not using direct weight resistance on parts of you that you think are disproportionately big unless you have a need for strength.
  • mfpcopine
    I have the exact same problem! Even when I was at my smallest I still have thick thighs and big ol' booty!lol I have just learned to embrace my curves! Some girls are just made this way!

Learning to dress for your figure also helps. I've been learning to sew and when something fits me, it makes a difference. It's not miraculous, but it helps.
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    I carry my weight mostly on my thighs and butt. I just continue working out hard with cardio. My coach says that it's important to drink a lot of water to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
  • keeldrum
    keeldrum Posts: 30 Member
    I'm SO glad I'm not alone!!

It's very hard to lose weight between your tummy button and your knees.

Unfortunately there is no quick-fix solution :-(
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I must be the only dude on the planet with this problem. Even before I gained my weight, my legs were huge. I always had to wear the relaxed fit jeans, because my thighs are too big.
  • jenlob
    jenlob Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for your responses. I do loose weight all over but becasue I am still heavier in my legs I have a hard time finding pants that fit me. I have to go up a size larger for pants to fit my legs but then they are way too big in the waist. My boyfriend is really supportive and loves my curves. I would feel much better about myself if I could get my legs to match the rest of my body. Clothes shopping is very frustrating! I am am a size medium shirt but a size 16 pants, and then sometimes the 16 don't even fit if the legs aren't cut wide enough. My 3 girls always ask me this time of year why I never wear shorts and it's hard to explain to them that I just don't like to. The truth is I would love to but I am not at all comfortable with the look of my legs.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    I must be the only dude on the planet with this problem. Even before I gained my weight, my legs were huge. I always had to wear the relaxed fit jeans, because my thighs are too big.

Ummm...no, you're not the only one....
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member

Ummm...no, you're not the only one....
    Hey! High-5
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Yes! I get skeletal arms and shoulders, a flat tummy, and still my butt and legs are huge! It is so depressing. The only time I've ever been even remotely happy with my butt and legs, I was on a pretty extreme diet that was nowhere near sustainable for maintenance.
  • mfpcopine
    Yes! I get skeletal arms and shoulders, a flat tummy, and still my butt and legs are huge! It is so depressing. The only time I've ever been even remotely happy with my butt and legs, I was on a pretty extreme diet that was nowhere near sustainable for maintenance.

It sucks, but it helps for people to understand that our shapes are not completely within our control. Some people on this site act as if diet and exercise (especially weight lifting) can solve all problems.