Binging after weigh-in's

Options
Although my binging has become a lot more under control recently, I've noticed a pattern of always binging after I weigh myself. It's probably an emotional thing; I see a smaller number, I give in to unhealthy food as a 'treat' or I see a higher number and think, 'Well, I'm fat already so..'. I know I need to change my mindset but does this happen to anyone else? Would it be a better option to ignore the scale and focus on the reflection instead?

Replies

• kjdhappy
    kjdhappy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hope folks answer - I do the same thing!!! So weird - you'd think a smaller number would make me what to try harder!!!
  • TheAmandaaRenee
    Options
    I also do the same thing, usually I try to nibge on healthy things so it isnt that bed. Carrots if i want something crunchy, tomatoes with imation salt if i want somehting salty,or apples if i want somehting sweat. I find if the things sare in the house that i want, then i eat them. So, when i want them, I chew the dessert flavored gums.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you find that the number on the scale negatively effects you, put it away. In your case, it seems like weighing is a lose/lose. If you lose weight, you binge, if you gain, you binge. You're really not winning in either scenario. If you're that affected by the number, I'd start focusing on inches, how your clothes fit, or simply, your reflection.
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    When I did weight watchers, I did the same thing. No matter what I weighed, after weigh in, I would splurge that night. Sometimes I was in control of it, but other times I went completely crazy and ate everything in sight. I'm still struggling to keep the number on the scale from affecting me emotionally, which is why I've been avoiding the scale. Maybe if you plan for something after you weigh yourself, you'll feel good. It can be food related - say if you lost, you can have ice cream, but if you gained you can have frozen yogurt. Or you can reward yourself with something not related to food at all - manicure, pedicure...whatever. I think the important this is to disassociate the number on the scale with an emotion. I'm still working on that myself.

Hope this helped a little bit!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies depriving yourself prior to your weigh-in just to see a smaller number? It's okay to reward yourself for getting there...wherever there may be. But have you considered rewarding yourself with a pedicure or massage instead? Getting fit is about lifestyle changes, not dieting. I try to stay off the scale and let the way my clothes fit be the judge for how fit I am. The scale can falsely lead you to be lieve you are the right or wrong weight depending on your goals.

Feel free to friend me for more support.
  • jefarrell
    jefarrell Posts: 42
    Options
    I was in a biggest loser competition a couple times this year in the town I live in. We weighed in on Thursday nights and I did the same exact thing. I questioned whether it was a mental thing, because I was depriving myself of what I really wanted, or like you said..the reward. I couldn't come up with an answer. I made my own solution, to stop stressing about it. I watch what I eat regularly, but will give myself that treat on occasion. Not having that "deadline" for weigh in has relieved a lot of my binging. I was always an emotional eater growing up so it added fuel to the fire. Eat right and exercise. I haven't weighed myself in months but my body feels good and I'm not feeling so stressed and anxious about the binge!
    Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    don't weigh in

use the mirror and the tape measure instead
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been guilty of doing this too - many times, over many years :embarassed: - but I am really trying to get in control of it now. I think it is the main reason why I've not had much long-term success.

I think it's surprisingly common - yes, it's kind of a "reward" for trying so hard (the WRONG kind of reward obviously!) but I also think it's a way of releasing the tension that builds up prior to a weigh-in.

I suppose not weighing yourself - or weighing less often - might possibly work. After all, if you only weigh yourself once a month, then even if you DO have a post-weigh-in binge, at least you won't be doing it as often! But I've never tried that myself.

With me, the bingeing has always been very impulsive - but recently, I've just tried to slow down, remind myself of what I've achieved, and how much better I will feel if I DON'T binge - and I think things are improving.

Are you still actually losing weight regularly despite the bingeing? If so, maybe you don't need to worry too much. But with me, I was finding that I just wasn't losing it as fast as I wanted (& some weeks not losing any at all) so I think I was doing a lot of damage during those pig-outs!

Sorry I don't have more helpful advice to offer - hopefully someone else will will have! :smile:
  • anonvl
    anonvl Posts: 17
    Options
    I do this too, I also binge after workouts etc at times. I think for me it is a self-sabotage thing. I have suffered with self harming in the past and I think it is just a continuation of that.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies depriving yourself prior to your weigh-in just to see a smaller number? It's okay to reward yourself for getting there...wherever there may be. But have you considered rewarding yourself with a pedicure or massage instead? Getting fit is about lifestyle changes, not dieting. I try to stay off the scale and let the way my clothes fit be the judge for how fit I am. The scale can falsely lead you to be lieve you are the right or wrong weight depending on your goals.

Feel free to friend me for more support.

Sounds advice I think, and the most adorable ticker of the day. Is that a basset hound puppy? I am a sucker for them (have a basset myself!) :)
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    the scale is the devil. basically. :explode: