PETRIFIED!!!

Options
sooo i started on MFP exactly a month ago...i told myself that i wouldn't weigh myself constantly and let the scale become the bane of my existence like i have in the past...i haven't "weighed-in" in 4 weeks and am terrified to do so! i know that i have been eating pretty healthy, exercising 4-5 days a week and only fell off the bandwagon a couple of days ...

...i'm afraid that if the numbers haven't dropped much , i will lose all motivation and become discouraged again

...i know that everyone says dropping inches are just as important, and how you look/feel matters as well, but is it ok to remain in the dark about your measurements or should i force myself to face..myself?

anyone in the same boat?!?!

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I'm more of the obsessive weigher type, but I only record my weight change every 2 weeks on Sunday or Monday morning. That being said, I think you are missing out on all the fun. Try weighing yourself before and after going to the bathroom and note the difference. You can even hold competitions with your friends.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You need to measure your progress in ways other than the scale. Do your clothes fit more loosely now? Do you see more muscle definition? If you step on the scale and your weight hasn't moved much, the fact that you have these other indicators that you've lost weight will help you to stay motivated.

If and when you do step on the scale and the number isn't what you want, don't give up- use it as an opportunity to reevaluate your approach to weight loss.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you also took measurements as some times those will show more of the story than just the scale. Don't let the scale rule your journey - whether weighing daily nor avoiding it for a month at a time. No need to fear it - it is not making you do anything - it is simply a measure of your progress - but not the ONLY measure of your progress.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yep, the number on the scale is just a number.

Inches matter. :)

Also, if weight loss was fast and easy we would not have an obesity epidemic. Those that look for a fast fix actually gain what they lost back and some extra on top of that.

So, be patient. Eat clean. Log every workout and every bite.

It took me 9 months last year to lose 20 lbs (I did it slow on purpose)
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Don't let the number on the scale rule your life! Let the way your clothes are fitting be your guide to your success. It won't be long before you need to clothes shop for something a little smaller than what you currently wear!
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing everything right, it should show a loss. Good luck and like the others have said, just a number on a scale. Use other means to see results and don't put so much pressure on yourself. You've got this.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in at least every few days. If I lose, I am enthused and want to lose more. If I gain or plateau, I am motivated to work harder and eat less. Either way, it is a good experience for me. I expect variations up and down, so am not really bummed about small "ups" in weight. I look forward to weighing in either way.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I understand the fear of the number. no matter how often i tell myself that i won't let it cause me to get discouraged. i keep the weigh in for monday mornings, and skip TOM week. Just step on the number and let it go. If you keep it up, you won't see that number again anyways.
  • browneyez27
    browneyez27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :)

yes, i took measurements as well about a month ago and i'm dreading taking them again (as well as my weight)

i've always had problems dropping numbers even when doing everything by the book ...i recently had my thyroid tested and all is well with that ...so i guess it's just a general fear of being unsuccessful at something i've been working really hard towards ...

some people tend to drop weight/inches fast and that's what keeps them motivated...the only motivation i feel i have is the "unknown"

arghhh lol
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't be petrified; remember this is a life long journey. Scales are fine, but not accurate at giving you the big picture. If you are gaining muscle your scale would most likely reflect an increase in weight (Lean muscle is 9x heavier than fat). Your best success indicators are measurements, how your cloths are fitting, what you see in the mirror, and your over all feeling of well being.

Just keep up the good work we are all here you :drinker:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :)

yes, i took measurements as well about a month ago and i'm dreading taking them again (as well as my weight)

i've always had problems dropping numbers even when doing everything by the book ...i recently had my thyroid tested and all is well with that ...so i guess it's just a general fear of being unsuccessful at something i've been working really hard towards ...

some people tend to drop weight/inches fast and that's what keeps them motivated...the only motivation i feel i have is the "unknown"

arghhh lol
    It's understandable. Some of us who incessantly check the scale sometimes do so because we're afraid it might stop and then we try to use humor to mitigate our own insecurities. Not 'me', of course. I mean some of us as in us as a whole.