Emotional Eating

Options
I live in Joplin, MO where the F5 tornado hit 1 year ago today. A lot is going on today. My brother's house, my nephew's house and my parent's house were destroyed. My parents, my husband & I were in my parent's house when it hit. Thankfully I was the only one with injury & it wasn't but some brusing that went away over time. Yet I haven't been able to go into detail about what it was like to go through the tornado and all that happened after. Tonight my family is getting together for a cook out (just so we can all be together). It could be a very tough and emotional day. I am afraid of eating out of my emotions and not caring about my weight today. Don't know how to keep from doing that. Any ideas?

Replies

• Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    Well, to be honest, it sounds like today you need to be focused on your emotions and your family, and not be worried about something like your weight. Everyone has a cheat day.

But if you are seriously dedicated (And, Good for you!) Here are some tips I've come up with over time:
    -Always have a glass/cup of some kind of liquid like water. It will keep you distracted and full, and you'll constantly have something to keep your hands full. This also works with Vegtables, Fruits, and Gum!
    -When you are ready to eat your meal, drink one glass of water before, during, and after, to help keep yourself full and from not wanting to eat anymore.
    -STAY AWAY FROM THE FOOD. If it's everywhere, try keeping social and keep talking to your family so you won't want food in your mouth. I always have to do this when I'm at socials or parties; if I don't see it, I won't think about it.

When you do start feeling emotional, it's a good time to stop associating eating and start associating something else, like writing, drawing, painting, or even exercising! Channel your pain into work or art, (and you do not have to be a Van Gogh to paint or draw! IT HELPS) you will see incredible results.

I hope this helps girlie! God bless you and your family. X