Eat More?? This much!?!? This doesn't seem right?

Options
Ok. So I know this topic is posted on quite often. And I will admit that I have been on the 1200 calories a day for a while. And while I do lose weight, it has been going very very slow. But it has been working so I have been scared to change it.

I have been looking at the Eat More to Weigh Less posts and trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing if I were to switch and try it that way. Here is what I have figured out and please tell me if this is correct.

I am 22; 5'10"; and 250 pounds

Using online calculators:
BMR: 1968
TDEE (with moderate activity since I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for an hour) : 3042
Cut Value (TDEE - 15%) : 2585

So if I am understanding this correctly, I should set my calorie limit to 2585 and since my TDEE took my exercise into account I don't eat back the exercise calories UNLESS I burn so many calories that I am netting below my BMR. Then I only eat them back up to my BMR.

If I did that correctly then 2585 just seems like WAY too many calories. I get the idea of raising my calories but that just seems like way too much!!!

HELP!

Replies

• Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    bump?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    At that bodyweight and body composition, you can afford to eat less and go for 2000 calories a day on the short term, but you will most likely need to raise it a little eventually. The leaner you get your RMR will drop, and you will need to be more accurate and pinpoint TDEE and calorie deficit intakes.

Also, you are weight training as well as doing cardio right?
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    I do cardio 3 days a week, and strength training kinda mixed with a little cardio 2 days a week. The strength training is with a personal trainer..
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

When I bumped my calories I went up a few hundred at a time - slower but less gain at any one time. Some people jump it up all at once to get the initial gains all over with.

Keep in mind - you *will* most likely gain weight when you first increase because you've been eating so low. It is normal. I also recommend joining the Eat More to Weigh Less group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I know who is! Read through this thread. I think it will help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What joejccva says :)

But I'll add to that to tell you why... those who are obese have better luck with bigger calorie restrictions because they have a higher fat reserve to draw on and don't seem to battle the starvings as much until they lose a lot of weight. This is, of course, a generalization and its different for everyone.

You honestly can stay at 1200 if you want for a while too... because you are obese and obese people tolerate very low calorie diets well. (1200 isn't officially VLCD, but in my book, it's pretty close).

However, it's way more fun to eat :) You don't feel as deprived. The diet is simply easier. So I suggest 2000 calories to. You don't need to go higher than that. Tweak as needed up and down until you find your sweet spot. You will eventually start losing slowly again... it happens to everyone.

Good luck!
  • b1wils
    b1wils Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, I'd say so for sure eat more. If you're only eating 1200 calories in a day and burning off at least 400 of that after an hour at the gym, you're only netting ~800 for the day, and your body needs more than that just for regular functioning. Sure, you'll burn some weight off to make up, but the body will be somewhat reluctant to do so. Eat more! Your BMR and TDEE might even be a bit conservative.

I like this calculator:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Eat at least 2000 calories a day if you are exercising 5 times a week. 2500 may be a little high since at 250, a lot of that is fat pounds, and your fat doesn't need nutrition to function. Fat is just along for the ride. But at least do eat your BMR.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    With a TDEE of 3000 and eating at a pace of 2500 you should expect to lose at a rate of about 1 lb a week provided the TDEE is correct based on the internet calcs. For most people the BMR number is between 70-80% of their daily calorie burn if sedentary in lifestyle.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I guess we all sometimes suspect the calculations particularly if you have tried different websites with the calculations and got different answers from each.

Isn't the whole point of not trying to restrict your calorie intake too much that if you do that your body goes into "starvation mode" and slows your metabolism. If so I reckon you would be able to feel that happening.

My limited experience is that a small calorie deficit and gradual weight loss seems to make me feel more energetic than pigging out whereas trying to overdo it has the opposite effect and I lack energy so I would say experiment and listen to your body.