Sugar

My sugar is consistently over what I'm alotted for the day. The good thing (at least in my mind) is that the sugar is coming from natural sources in all the fruit that I eat.

I'd like to know if this amount and type of sugar intake will affect my weight loss? I'm doing my best to cut out any type of processed foods. Your help is appreciated!

Ryan

Replies

• Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Good question. Bump for later.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Nope, I literally go over on my sugar on a daily basis and it hasn't affected my weigh-loss at all. Don't sweat it.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    The sugar values are actually a subset of your carb values. If your carbs are where you want them, I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar value. The nutrition class I attended basically told me to ignore the sugar value and just watch my (good) carb intake.
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Yes it may. It does effect me...it may not effect you. I eat very little fruits bc of the high sugar content. Even though it is natural sugar it is still sugar. I believe that fructose in all forms should be limited. That is awesome that you cut out processed foods tho! That will help a ton.

What pp said. I am pretty low carb, high protien, and high fat for weight loss. If you are eating 50% carbs of your daily kcals your weight loss will be slow if any. Also, I'm a women and it is harder on us.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    not unless you have a pre-existing condition. And there is no good sugar or bad sugar.....sugar is sugar.....calories are key
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Yes it may. It does effect me...it may not effect you. I eat very little fruits bc of the high sugar content. Even though it is natural sugar it is still sugar. I believe that fructose in all forms should be limited. That is awesome that you cut out processed foods tho! That will help a ton.

What pp said. I am pretty low carb, high protien, and high fat for weight loss. If you are eating 50% carbs of your daily kcals your weight loss will be slow if any. Also, I'm a women and it is harder on us.

You do realize that low carb diets have absolutely no metabolic advantage in fat loss.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    MFP limits are garbage
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I don't track my sugars anymore. MFP sugar limit is very low. If you're eating whole quality foods, you'll be just fine. Just keep the total calories under control and try to hit your carb/fat/protein limits.

If you are diabetic or have some issue with sugar, then you should watch it. Otherwise, you should be fine by eating good quality foods.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    I decided right away to ignore MFP's sugar limits... any plan that tells me I can't eat a banana AND some grapes in one day is just plain unreasonable to me!

I think you're on the right track limiting processed sugars; I wouldn't worry about sugars in fruits and such. I have been slowly and steadily losing weight over the last 3 months despite going over the MFP suggested sugar limits; most of my sugar comes from fruits.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Bump big-time !
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    I'm under the assumption that sugar is sugar, no matter the source. I eat half an apple everyday, maybe a couple of dried apricots, just a tiny bit of milk, lots of vegs, etc. I like to keep my sugar column from going in the red. Ain't easy!

The allowable sugar number increases with exercise, though. Tells me to move my fanny more.
  • mcosme25
    mcosme25 Posts: 26
    For weight loss, you should limit but definitley not cut out. You should always aim for 3-4 servings of fruit but go for low glycemic fruits. Just google a list of options (low glycemic fruits) and there are several to choose from. I love grapes and bananas but rarely eat them because they are very high in sugar, however I do eat them. Bananas are high in potasium and so if you are working out often they are ok to have. But in comparison to ANY food item proccessed with sugar go with the fruit of course.
    Another thing I have read and even noticed is people that ate a high sugar diet before and were considered morbidly obese suffered from metabolic syndrome which means they can not get thier metabolism to fire up and loosing weight is extrememly difficult. It is best for those people to limit thier sugars no matter what because it takes several months even a year or more to get the insulin levels normal. So no need to be extreme and crazed over sugar unless you have that problem.
    Dr Furhmans Eat to Live is a very good resource for weightloss, education on food, metabolism and your body in general. You in fact will be amazed at the knowledge provided about food in this book!
    Good Luck!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    I've never tracked my sugar intake since joining MFP. I keep a much closer eye on my carb intake.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    As I have said before:

The FDA reccomends you watch your ADDED sugars (white refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup...), but natural sugars (like in fruits, etc) are ok. This is because natural sugars generally come with lots of fiber that take the body a lot longer to break down, thus limiting spikes in insulin (which can lead to diabetes).

So in other words, limit sugar in anything that comes in a package, but if it is in a skin you are ok. :smile: Be careful with some things though like fruit juice because even though you think it is just sugar from the fruits frequently it is added. :grumble: Check the ingredients, if sugar (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc) is in the top five ingredients, BEWARE. "Healthy" fruit yogurts are NOTORIOUS for this.

Fruits and veggies, eat your heart out. Otherwise, watch your sugar. MFP's counter is a bit misleading for this but if you want I have seen people create a "food" that is negative sugars to subtract out the non-added ones. Or you can just keep an eye on it.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I didn't even have sugar listed in my diary. So, I added it. I am over, also.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    As I have said before:

The FDA reccomends you watch your ADDED sugars (white refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup...), but natural sugars (like in fruits, etc) are ok. This is because natural sugars generally come with lots of fiber that take the body a lot longer to break down, thus limiting spikes in insulin (which can lead to diabetes).

So in other words, limit sugar in anything that comes in a package, but if it is in a skin you are ok. :smile: Be careful with some things though like fruit juice because even though you think it is just sugar from the fruits frequently it is added. :grumble: Check the ingredients, if sugar (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc) is in the top five ingredients, BEWARE. "Healthy" fruit yogurts are NOTORIOUS for this.

Fruits and veggies, eat your heart out. Otherwise, watch your sugar. MFP's counter is a bit misleading for this but if you want I have seen people create a "food" that is negative sugars to subtract out the non-added ones. Or you can just keep an eye on it.
    This is what I've heard in some nutrition classes that I've taken. Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who answered!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    As I have said before:

So I can't eat my Snickers Ice Cream Bars anymore? What about my Poptarts? *extreme sad face*
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    I try to stay at 15g sugar daily it can be very hard but worth it ♥