Runners: Transition from Indoor to Outdoor Running?

Options
Hiya! Background - I'm (almost) 35, 5'5". SW - 180, CW - 169, GW - 150.

I've been doing JM's 30 DS on MWF and a modified C25K on TThS - taking Sundays off of all exercise. I just started Level 3 on Monday with the 30 DS (which killed me!), and I'm up to running 24 of 31 minutes (my 5k goal time) at a 6mph pace. However, I have done all my running on my treadmill to date. Last night I decided to go rip out one mile outside just as an "intro" to getting my runs outside.

This morning's run (on my treadmill) did NOT go well at all! My ankles hurt, my shins hurt, even one knee hurt! I did a poor job, and ended up walking more than I ran. I tend to think that it's a direct result of running outside for even a short distance last night. Hubby thinks I still weigh too much to be running that much.

What is the best way to transition from inside running to outside running? And do you think that I should take more breaks between exercise days? Should I just forgo my Jillian Michaels until after my 5k at the end of June and just concentrate on a 3-days-per-week running program?

Thanks all, for any help or suggestions you can offer! I really appreciate all the experience and wisdom on here!

Replies

• KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    We have same stats except for age! :)

I run on the treadmill usually without problem but when I run outside I get bad shin splints and soreness. I recently ran a 5k and it wasn't as bad except for how sore I ended up being all over. The impact could be what is aggravating you, thats what gets me. Alot of people will tell you to make sure you have the right shoes. I haven't gotten new shoes yet so I can't tell you whether it worked for me or not! :flowerforyou:
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    oops forgot to add, when I run outside, I don't run at all for a day or 2 before and then a day or 2 after just because too much high impact and I'm out of commission for a few days. I like doing the arc trainer to build up my endurance during the week when I can't run.
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'd like the answers, too. I did week 4 of my C25K on the treadmill with no problem, but then I tried to do week 1 outside and couldn't even get 1/4 of the way through it! Could be the oppressive Florida heat and humidity, could be the wrong shoes, I don't know. All I know is my knees hurt and I thought I might have a heart attack. I either have to figure out how to run outside, or find a 5K to enter that's run indoors lol.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's a lot harder to run outside, You're going up hill and down hill, it's hot, and you don't have the machine pacing you. Don't get discouraged, just start out slow, and if you have the urge to walk, just go one more block and then take a break. I try and run outside before the sun comes up also, since it's so much cooler.

And check your shoes, if they're wore out, you're going to notice it more if you're running outside than if you're running inside.

Also, just relax and take in the sights. When I do that I seem to run farther and better.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    A lot of the difficulty is going to come with pacing. The treadmill holds you at a constant pace that is comfortable for you. Outdoors that pacing often goes out the window (at least for me). Try to find someone who runs at your pace and try to go with them a few times so that you get the feel of doing it outside. You might need to slow down a little.

Make sure your shoes are fresh. I start feeling sore if my shoes go over 400 miles (I only wear them for running).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I find it way more comfortable and easier to run outside than on a treadmill.

The "give" that treadmills have tweak my knees and ankles, all four of which I have injured and chronic issues with. But when I run outside, I don't get any of that tweaky soreness.

And the bouncier the treadmill, the worse the pain. I think that the give in the treadmill disrupts my natural gait and causes my feet and legs to land differently than when on solid ground.

I was terrified to make the transition to running outdoors at first, because of my chronic issues. But the more I ran outside, the better everything felt. Now I dread the times that it's too late at night to hit the trail and I'm forced to the gym for a run.

But I would also make sure that you have good shoes. Get yourself evaluated and fitted properly. When I got fitted and into my new shoes a few months ago, not only did my pace increase simply from the increased comfort, but the amount of pain I felt from treadmill running went down a bit as well. And just made outdoor running that much better. :)
  • Teresa712
    Teresa712 Posts: 32
    Options
    It is almost like starting your running routine all over isn't it???

I know what you are going through...I went through this same thing in March when I ventured outside to run---after running on my treadmill for 5 months. You are going to have to take it slow and not give up!!! I told my husband also that i wish we could run our half marathon on the treadmill instead of on the road!!! haha!

Do some extra stretching or do a 5 min warm up by walking...this is what I have done to help with shin splints. I also do the alphabet with my feet...I make the shape of an A, B, C etc with each foot and this helps eliminate shin pain.
    Your knees, hips, feet and other body parts will take some time to adjust to the harder surface you are running on now.
    You can do this!!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    A lot of the difficulty is going to come with pacing. The treadmill holds you at a constant pace that is comfortable for you. Outdoors that pacing often goes out the window (at least for me). Try to find someone who runs at your pace and try to go with them a few times so that you get the feel of doing it outside. You might need to slow down a little.

Make sure your shoes are fresh. I start feeling sore if my shoes go over 400 miles (I only wear them for running).

I used RunKeeper to help me find the pace close to what I'd been running on the treadmill back when I first transitioned to outside. After that, I found that to be another reason I preferred running outside. I can gently regulate my pace up and down with ease and mostly subconsciously while running outside.

On the treadmill, I have to set a specific pace and then try to regulate it up and down in specific measurements, which is difficult to match what my body just wants to be running.

I can run any distance (up to a half marathon) outside without stopping to walk at all. But I often find myself slowing to a walk even on runs around five to six miles on the treadmill because I've outpaced myself on the settings and the natural slowing and speeding up while still staying running is lost on the treadmill.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started all my running on a treadmill. Once I hit 2 miles on the treadmill, I transitioned to a mile outside. It is much more challenging outside for me...there are hills, corners, rocks & cracks in the road, cars, and Arizona's lovely 90-100 degree weather. What has helped the outside become more do-able is changing how I ran on the treadmill. I set the incline to 1-3% while keeping a slow & steady pace (10 min mile). This helped the treadmill feel more like outside.

I still do a lot of treadmill running, but have started incorporating outdoor running as well. Monday-Friday I pull my butt out of bed early and do a quick outdoor mile. Monday & Thursday at lunch I do cross training/strength training at the gym. Tues, Wed, Friday I run 2 miles on the treadmill (lunch time). Wednesday I add an evening longer run outside, this week 3 miles. Saturday is a total rest day. Sunday I run a long run outside.

I would say mix it up and start slow outside. Pacing is a big issue with the transition. I found I FEEL like Im going much slower outside where I actually took 45 seconds off my mile time. Find a pace that works outside and stick to it, it doesnt have to be the same as on the treadmill.
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've spent 90% of my run time on a treadmill and when I tried outside it'd slow me down by a minute/mile.
    I hadn't run for almost 3 weeks b/c of an ankle sprain, my 1st run back was outside and I did great, pace was at its best (maybe the rest helped too) LOL but then yesterday got on the treadmill and wanted to cut my legs off.

I've decided though that I hate the treadmill now though. I'm a happier runnier outside on a generally flat park trail. lol
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Once I started running for an hour on the treadmill, I found myself really, really, really bored, so I went outside. I am even running in the rain now... at first it felt difficult but now it feels free. I am alone, and I can turn left, or right, I can go up a hill or I can avoid a hill, I can speed up or slow down. I am running longer and stronger and I love waving at every car that passes me, if you wave at people while you are on the treadmill they think you are wierd.:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The surface matters a lot, too. Try to avoid sidewalks. Roads are a little more forgiving, but I prefer grass or trails.