Bicycle Questions/Recommendations

Options
maremare312
maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
I haven't been on a bike in years but would really like to get a new one. As I start my research into buying one, I'm wondering if I'm going to be too heavy? I'm currently around 275 and was originally planning on losing another bit of weight before getting one, but obviously riding would help me lose weight, and it's getting to be nicer weather. Also, anyone have any recommendations as far as comfort? I'm thinking a cruiser style maybe?

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a bike shop and there were plenty of people who came in for bikes who were over 300 lbs. No you're not too heavy! Make sure you go to a pro shop and speak with people who are experts in bicycles. If you are serious about bike riding and ready to make a commitment, don't go to a big box store.

If a comfort bike is what you are interested in, ask about the strength of the wheels. Many times heavier people can break spokes on cheaper wheels when they ride uphill in the standing position. This is due to lateral stresses on the spokes caused by pedaling out of the seat. You will need a double walled rim vs. single wall for the added strength. You may not be familiar with all the terminology and that's why you should go to a pro shop where people can educate you on the ends and outs of cycling.

Good Luck!!!

Message me if you have any specific questions. I can most likely answer them!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There really is no "best" bike for all needs. It all depends on what you want to do with it long-term. Cruisers tend not to encourage any sort of fast riding (though anything is better than nothing, don't get me wrong!). If your goal is to burn calories and you have the ambition to push yourself a little, a cruiser would work, and it's a nice bike for paths and, well, cruising if you just want a leisurely afternoon.

Personally, my primary bike is a "hybrid" (Specialized Sirrus in my case) with road tires on it. It's an "upright" bike with a T-handlebar and can take either road tires or more trail-worthy tires if you'll be spending a lot of time on gravel or dirt. It's sort of in the middle between a road bike and a mountain bike, and isn't the best for either but can be easily adapted. I've put luggage racks and fenders on it and I use it for my commute now (30 miles a day), and I'm going to be using it for the 180-mile Trek Across Maine.

But if I want to go for a leisurely ride, I pull out my Acadia Cruiser because it's not as efficient and I can burn more calories on it, and it's more suited for a more casual ride. I just don't use the Cruiser on the road very much - I like the nimbleness of my hybrid when cars are around.

EDIT: As the last poster said, find a local bike shop, they can probably get you fixed up with something suitable and maybe even find you a used one. Avoid big box like Wal-Mart - their bikes are absolutely discouraging to ride and are rarely set up with decent tires or accessories, plus there's no way to have someone help you get it adjusted properly.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was about your weight when i started riding and I agree with the other commenter that it depends on what you want to use the bike for. I bought a Hybrid, a Specialized Globe ( a older model) Good for long rides or whatnot.

I also plan on buying a vintage Raleigh with a step through frame which will be my go to leisure bike.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! I live in Portland which is super bike friendly and live near a couple very long bike paths, so I would like to go on those for exercise, as well as build up to possibly running some errands on the bike since almost all our streets have bike lanes. We do have a ton of specialty bike shops too, so I think I will go into one near me and see what's up! Thanks for your info, I was worried I would walk into a bike shop and they would have to tell me "you're too big, bye bye!"
  • fadumpt
    fadumpt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    275 is definitely not too much. Look at City bikes and hybrid bikes (Electra, Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, etc)
    You also might want to start out with a used bike from a few years ago (from the local bike shop or craigslist) to get in to it.

I would think that the local bicycle shop you go to would be to fit you (height, reach, etc) so that you know what size you need and they should have used bikes available, or at least you would know what size to look for.

I ended up buying one 2" too big for me because it was such a nice bike for the price and while it's ride-able and mostly comfortable, I would have loved to be on one that was at the size I needed.

Also, don't be discouraged if your butt or hips hurt, you may end up spending some time finding the right saddle (and saddle adjustment) to make your rides comfortable.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Thanks! I'm between paychecks right now but my brother also wants a new bike (he had to ride a bike to work for a long time, so he sold it when he started driving again but now wants one for exercise) so we are going to go to the store together when we have some funds!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I got my first bike as an adult when I was 260-Ish pounds. I went with an aluminum frame hybrid bike with a seat post shock (cushions the bum), a fork shock (softens the impact from the front), and some beefy rims. (I now custom build wheels and learned that materials & spoke counts do matter). The bike, as sold stock, could totally handle my weight. It was a Giant Sedona DX from 2005, if anyone's curious... It made me fall totally in love with biking. Still in love!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Seat post shocks are officially called "suspension seat posts" :smile: