Anyone read 50 shades of gray?

Options

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I made it 40% through the first book and gave up. If I had to read "Holy *kitten*" or "inner goddess" one more time, I was going to lose it. The writing isn't very good. The characters aren't very likeable. There HAVE to be better sex books out there.

I put the book down and picked up Game of Thrones...

Good call on Game of Thrones
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am on Book 3 and love them! Don't care if you judge me. :)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Its a good book if you can do what its intended for and relax and enjoy it and quit OVER analyzing EVERYTHING!! Its for entertainment people!!

Tell m about it!!!!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    This book and all the related posts need to die!!! Just watch Secretary with Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader for god's sake.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm ashamed to admit I read it. Was the 2nd book I've ever tossed into the trash. :indifferent:

The (boring) sex scenes didn't bother me, but the repetition of phrases, expressions (holy crap!!) and her schizo "inner goddess" references drove me nuts!

One Amazon reviewer summed it up best:

"Once upon a time...
    I'm Ana. I'm clumsy and naive. I like books. I dig this guy. He couldn't possibly like me. He's rich. I wonder if he's gay? His eyes are gray. Super gray. Intensely gray. Intense AND gray. Serious and gray. Super gray. Dark and gray. [insert 100+ other ways to say "gray eyes" here]
    I blush. I gasp. He touches me "down there." I gasp again. He gasps. We both gasp. I blush some more. I gasp some more. I refer to my genitals as "down there" a few more times. I blush some more. Sorry, I mean I "flush" some more. I bite my lip. He gasps a lot more. More gasping. More blushing/flushing. More lip biting. Still more gasping.
    The end."

:laugh:

^^ HAHAHAH~ Priceless and 100% accurate
    I downloaded on the Kindle - but if it was in paperback, I would've thrown the damn thing.
    I didnt really KNOW what I was getting into - I can handle "steamy" and rather "alternative" sex stuff - but this was just stupid.
    totally annoying. TOTALLY repetitive.
    UGH. Im starting to get mad just writing this.
    Dont waste your money.

and PS - her inner goddess is an IDIOT! ;)

lol maybe it is a good thing i have passed on it

My inner goddess wants to kick her inner goddess' butt!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Venus in Furs." I don't agree with a lot of the sentiment, but the dominant female character was more appealing to me than the weenie submissive one in "Fifty Shades of Grey."
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    i bought the series but i havent read one page yet. i'll start them when i finish Deadlocked, the newest sookis stackhouse novel. i've heard such mixed reviews about grey. most women that im friends with on facebook that are my age (25) absolutely love it, so i went for it and just ordered it off of amazon. we will see how it goes!
  • elysianashes
    elysianashes Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm ashamed to admit I read it. Was the 2nd book I've ever tossed into the trash. :indifferent:

The (boring) sex scenes didn't bother me, but the repetition of phrases, expressions (holy crap!!) and her schizo "inner goddess" references drove me nuts!

"Once upon a time...
    I'm Ana. I'm clumsy and naive. I like books. I dig this guy. He couldn't possibly like me. He's rich. I wonder if he's gay? His eyes are gray. Super gray. Intensely gray. Intense AND gray. Serious and gray. Super gray. Dark and gray. [insert 100+ other ways to say "gray eyes" here]
    I blush. I gasp. He touches me "down there." I gasp again. He gasps. We both gasp. I blush some more. I gasp some more. I refer to my genitals as "down there" a few more times. I blush some more. Sorry, I mean I "flush" some more. I bite my lip. He gasps a lot more. More gasping. More blushing/flushing. More lip biting. Still more gasping.
    The end."

HA! I came on here to say the same thing - "Oh crap!" - STOP SAYING THAT.

I tried to read it but the writing was terrible and the sex was too tame. That review sums it up beautifully.
  • hopeledbetter17
    Options
    Great book series! I've read all 3! They are simply written which I liked because it became a chill out book. An excellent way to wind down at the end of the day with a good story line and the sex scenes were just extra! I recommend for anyone who just enjoys an easily read story with interesting characters.
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    I am on the first book and i Love:heart: it....
    Hubby went out and got the other 2 book for me this past weekend....
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've read all three and they're decent. It's classified as a Erotica Romance.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

"Once upon a time...
    The end."

I downloaded on the Kindle - but if it was in paperback, I would've thrown the damn thing.
    I didnt really KNOW what I was getting into - I can handle "steamy" and rather "alternative" sex stuff - but this was just stupid.
    Dont waste your money.

:laugh: I couldn't agree more...I actually yelled at my Nook several times while I was forcing myself to finish the first one. I will not be reading the second or third and don't understand the hype here. I haven't read any other 'erotica", but I'm sure there are some better books out there by authors who utilized a THESAURUS while writing. I've never read another book where someone 'gasps' or 'murmurs' on just about EVERY page!

(Edit) and her Inner Goddess is an "Inner Skank" who likes to be spanked. A "goddess" should be a little stronger against the power of "Like, OMG, he's so hot, I'll just let him do whatever he wants even though I don't agree with it"
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It started out as a Twilight fanfic. Set in Seattle and starts off with a timid female (Bella in Twi) and a controlling male (Edward in Twi). Other than that there are no similarities. Its an easy read and can easily be a guilty pleasure. The writing is nothing to rave about, but I don't think she was shooting to write a Pulitizer either. I don't consider myself "Vanilla" at all in the sex spectrum and I thought it was enjoyable but not shocking. If you consider yourself "vanilla" then you may be surprised at some of the activities. Worth a try.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

STEAMY!!!
    It's a first person from a female perspective, but I don't see why a guy can't read it.
    It'll make you hot, that's for sure!
    Definitely an adult book.

Men should absolutely read this book.

Yes, because we need them all thinking women secretly want to be their slaves. I'd also *love* for my husband to read "The Surrendered Wife."
  • hopeledbetter17
    Options
    Deadlocked was the worst book of the entire series. Very slowly crawled along and by the end of the book nothing has really happened at all. Pick up the 50 trilogy and go back to Deadlocked later....you wont miss anything. lol
  • laurajordana
    laurajordana Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried to read it but it felt like a 13 year old wrote the book.
    I totally agree. I downloaded the sample to my kindle and I am less than impressed with the writing...
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options
    gaaah dont say that! my heart is breaking! i waited a year for deadlocked...although i am already 160 pages in and i feel like nothing has happened. lol
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I only bought it because it was chosen for my "book club" (we rarely read the book anymore, lol!) but we "pinky" swore we would read the book this time. So, I read it and it was "meh". The sex scenes don't bother me and everyone who said the writing is bad, is right. However, I did buy and am reading the 2nd book because I want to know how the story plays out now. I would only recommend reading it for fun...a summer reading book, I guess. You may lose a few brain cells in doing so though, haha!
  • hopeledbetter17
    Options

"Once upon a time...
    The end."

Dont waste your money.

:laugh: I couldn't agree more...I actually yelled at my Nook several times while I was forcing myself to finish the first one. I will not be reading the second or third and don't understand the hype here. I haven't read any other 'erotica", but I'm sure there are some better books out there by authors who utilized a THESAURUS while writing. I've never read another book where someone 'gasps' or 'murmurs' on just about EVERY page!

You wont understand the hype if you dont go on to read the last two books. The next two books are about the development of the relationship between Ana and Christian. But if you didnt fall in love with their characters in the first book then dont bother to continue.
  • alicepoppyh
    alicepoppyh Posts: 88
    Options
    Just watch Secretary with Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader for god's sake.

I've never even heard of this book until I stumbled across this thread, but can I just second this ^^^ That film was the beginning of my ridiculous thing for James Spader.