quick non frozen dinner lunches for work?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
so i think i may have to change it up for lunch at work. relying too much on lean cuisine and wanted to know what other people eat for lunch? should be quick and easy as i dont' have much time at night to prepare stuff.

Replies

• nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat, bumppppp! :tongue:
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Grill or bake some chicken over the weekend. Bag separately and freeze. Buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. In the morning, throw a piece of chicken and some veggies in a container. Microwave at work covered so the veggies get a bit steamed from the frost that it will have, pinch of salt/pepper and you're good to go.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I make a huge salad on Sunday and just take some everyday to work. Sometimes I add things to it during the week if I want to spice it up a bit.
  • gaff317
    gaff317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on a kick lately with an apple sliced up, low fat peanut butter and melba toast. I slice the apple thin and place it over the cracker with peanut butter. All I do is keep a jar of reduced fat peanut butter in my desk and bring a package (5 crackers are wrapped as individuals in the box ) and an apple. Also, I keep a steak knife in my desk too. It is delicious and about 350 calories depending on how much peanut butter you use.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    I normally take a turkey wrap that i make on a whole wheat wrap. Put lettuce, cheese and mustard or whatever condiment you want. String cheese and fruit as a side!
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Can of Tuna and some whole wheat crackers, hard boiled eggs, chicken breast, fruit, prepacked carrots. You can even find individualy wrapped chicken breasts that you just pop in the microwave. I always have salad prepped because I eat it every night with dinner. I just get the bags of salad and I put it in an inexpensive rubbermaid container that's made for salad...it has a green lid and a little green plate at the bottom...it keeps the lettuce good for over a week. I chop up my salad veggies on Sundays and store them in containers in the fridge, so everything is handy. I don't eat lean cuisines, but I always have frozen Kashi meals on standby incase of emergencies. Oh...protien bars and shakes. Very filling, and easy.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    i can't really cook huge stuff on the weekend and bag up, it is just too complicated to do that. i like the idea of wraps... maybe if i just get some good bread like a flatbread and put lunchmeat, hummos, stuff like that in it... that could be pretty manageable.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I either reheat left overs from the night before or I have a chicken or turkey sandwich on a multi grain sandwich thin (sometime with a slice of cheese) and steam a frozen or fresh vegetable in the microwave (normally two servings worth). Most days lunch is under 300 calories and keeps me content until the mid afternoon snack (which is somedays more of a habit than a need)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i can't really cook huge stuff on the weekend and bag up, it is just too complicated to do that. i like the idea of wraps... maybe if i just get some good bread like a flatbread and put lunchmeat, hummos, stuff like that in it... that could be pretty manageable.
    You don't have to separate it out and freeze it, but cooking the basic ingredients when you have the time is a great idea and a time-saver. About once a week, I'll cook up a 4-5 lb. pack of chicken breast and things like beans (cheaper from scratch, but you can get the canned ones, just watch out for massive sodium levels), as well as prepping fruits and vegetables (like cubing up a melon or something). Basically, my fridge is stocked with ready-to-go ingredients that only require reheating. Then when I'm invariably late in the mornings, it takes me literally two minutes to throw together a burrito or a sandwich or whatever else I can make out of those combinations. I'll also make large quantities at dinner so it lasts several meals, so I can also just grab leftover stir-fry or something on my way out the door the next day.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I make big pots of soup that last for the week. I make them pretty bland so I can spice them up differently every day. I use Sriracha, BBQ sauce, dijon mustard, shredded cheese, plain Greek yougurt, HP sauce, Tobasco, cajun seasoning, etc...

Along with the soup I do leftovers from last night's dinner as well as canned chicken (I feel bad eating stinky canned tuna at my office even though I love it!) With the canned chicken, again, I add different spices or sauces to change the flavor. No mayo! Mayo is a calorie killer for me and not worth it no matter how good it tastes. It's really good with Balsamic dressing.

With that I have a serving of fruit (fresh or canned with no sugar added), a cheese stick (unless I put cheese in the main dish) and a serving of carrots or celery (sometimes I splurge on 2 tbsp of ranch dressing but I usually eat them raw.) The carrots/celery serve to bulk up the meal and it usually helps me feel full longer.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. That is one thing I have learned. I like cooking on Sunday and making some ground turkey chilie, or cook up some chicken breast and use them in salads, wraps, etc. I also cook up either quinoa or barley and use that instead of rice or potatoes. Good luck, I know you are in the maintaining phase and that is just as hard if not more difficult.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Recently, I've brought a roast beef sandwich and a few pieces of fruit.
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I brought a frozen boca burger (just the burger), a sandwich thin roll, onion, tomato, packet of mustard (saved from some place) I'll assemble here at work. I also had a single (ready to microwave) sweet potato. I also will cook food "overnight" in the crock pot so it's ready when I leave for work in the morning. Stuffed peppers, soup, beef tips, etc.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options

Unless I have leftovers, my lunch consists of wraps, sandwiches, or pita pockets. I will use tuna, or any kind of lunch meat. I just make it the night before and it takes likes 5 minutes. Then I don't have to worry about heating anything up through the day and can just enjoy my lunch when I am ready. Good luck!
  • luvinlife58
    luvinlife58 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I grill tons and tons of chicken ( or my husband does for me) on Sunday. It makes it very easy for me to make meals to go. Throw it on some lettuce. Add to veggies. You got tons of meals. Has really helped me :)
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been hooked on Tyson Spicy Chicken Patty, Village Hearth Light Italian bun, sargento ultra thin cheese, pop chips or yogurt or string cheese.
    Today I had Tyson Spicy Chicken Patty, Village Hearth Light Italian bun, sargento ultra thin cheese and bacon ranch popcorn.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i know you say you dont have a lot of time to cook at night, but a chicken breast really only takes 30 mins in the oven and gives you a satisfying meal with lots of protein. i would reccommend :smile:
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    i either have a chicken or prawn salad, or very often a large bowl of special k or bran flaikes with fruit. i keep the cereal at work for the days when i cant be bothered to prepare anything
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    Most sandwiches are quick. I like egg salad, tuna, pbj and banana. And for snacks you could pack fruit or carrots with hummus
  • MJ7910
    Options
    i know you say you dont have a lot of time to cook at night, but a chicken breast really only takes 30 mins in the oven and gives you a satisfying meal with lots of protein. i would reccommend :smile:

yeah that woudl be ok to do... just have to do it! :)