Starving after Exercising

Any tips on how to control this? It seems like no matter how much I eat beforehand, I have to eat twice as much after. Thanks!

Replies

• marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    you may want to open your diary so we can see what you are eating to better advise.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Lots of water?? I would just eat something healthy.. I just had a salad.
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    you may want to open your diary so we can see what you are eating to better advise.

Opened. But just a warning, I haven't been doing great lately, and my sodium intake is atrocious because of my lack in willpower, lol.

I drink on average 96 ounces of water a day (I don't track it).
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Try drinking a protein shake afterwards (I make mine with milk, it's more of a milkshake that way). Those usually fill me up. Unfortunately I am usually not hungry after working out :/.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    I'm always starving after a work out...listen to your body and eat. it's so easy!
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    If I'm hungry going into a workout, or I know I won't be done with my run until past dinnertime, I'll eat a small apple, or better yet a half a peanut butter and banana sandwich. The fructose gives me a little jolt of energy, and the peanut butter protein helps me power through. Bread is a little cushion to keep my stomach from revolting and eating itself!
  • lpecukonis
    lpecukonis Posts: 1 Member
    I workout before dinner, and usually eat vegetables/soup/or salad before the meal. It calms my hunger a bit. Also, a glass of skim milk does the trick to take the edge off.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    My guess is that you should eat more protien's, whole grains that kind of thing. Most days you were under on protien, (except the junk food days), so I think maybe a healther source of protiens would help? Also, I usually eat after my workout too. Eat a bit before, then my breakfast or dinner comes right after, no reason you cant do that!
  • I have the same problem. Usually it's my body telling me I need water, not food. I usually drink a little chocolate milk for my muscles and to supress my brain trying to tell me I'm hungry until I can drink lots of water. :)
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    I wish I had this problem! When I do cardio in the morning, I will eat normally for the rest of the day...but I do boot camp at 645 pm 3 times a week, I feel icky if I eat before, and afterward I can barely chug my protein shake.

However, to answer your question, I have a friend that feels starved after workouts. She has a protein shake within 30 minutes of her workout and then eats high in fiber foods to help curb the cravings and keep her feeling full.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    I'm with Brad. Have a protein shake after your workout. I don't use milk, but I use some juice (about 4 - 6oz depending on how much protein powder I use), water (sometimes), and ice. If you get the right protein powder and juice combo, the smoothies taste delicious. They also up your protein for the day the easy way. haha

Here's one of my favorite recipes:

Banana Creme Zero Carb Isopure (1/2 scoop) (1 scoop if I did weight training)
    4 oz of Strawberry Banana Naked Juice
    2 oz water
    1.5 cups of ice

Its simple, but tastes delicious. Juice makes a huge difference and (in my opinion) tastes just as good, if not better, than using frozen or fresh fruit. :)
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Definitely try drinking more water post-workout. I drink a LOT of water anyway but after working out at lunchtime I have about a pint and a half of water on the way back from the gym, which helps. But, I do still get hungry after a workout - I just try to eat less at other times of te day to balance it out. I think if you eat something with protein and fibre in it that should help.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    i am the SAME way.... i used to even be so hungry i couldnt wait th 5 minutes to get home from the gym and stop for fast food.... my tricks are..... I keep nature valley peanut butter granola bars in my glove box... or bring a banana along... it definitely helps.... Also though some may hate me for saying this.... I drink a can of regular coke... not coke zero, not diet... regular coke..... i do this a lot while im promo modeling and it helps curb the hunger. :)
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    I'm the same way. I try to drink a TON of water after to distract me, and recently I've been trying to time my workouts so they fall naturally before a full meal.
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    I have the same problem. I've actually found that protein shakes don't actually work great for me, the sweetness triggers me to wanting muffins and scones and other sweet things. I quit doing protein shakes and am eating a cup of lowfat cottage cheese now. It's got as much protein as a shake, but makes me feel fuller, and doesn't trigger my sweet tooth.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    When I know I'm going to do a long work out, I plan for it and save some calories for after, since I normally work out after work. I have a protein shake made with almond milk right after my workout, and then usually some protein with veggies and a little whole grains of some kind. That usually does the trick for me.