Losing too much weight. Need food ideas.

Options
Hey folks,

I've been going through a bit of an emotional rut lately and it has completely taken away my appetite.
I'm having trouble eating more than 500 calories a day (I should be getting at least 1,400 for a woman my age and lifestyle).

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
I've lots 8 pounds in just a few days and getting pretty weak!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sincerely,
I should be hungry by now.

Replies

• Alicita72
    Alicita72 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just lost my Mom, and I too am having a hard time. But try to drink some protein shakes you need at least 70 grams per day. If not you can begin to have hair lose as well. Keep your head up and if all else fails get the protein in. Good lock.
  • chelbe910
    chelbe910 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protien Shakes or Peanut Butter is a good source of calories that can help you if you are struggling getting enough calories
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear it's difficult to eat right now. When my Dad passed, my Mom didn't want to eat... and then my FIL was sick for a long time and had zero appetite.

To encourage my Mom to eat, I kept trying to make her anything that would appeal to her. If anything appeals to you at all (even if it's toast), munch away mindlessly while you are distracted.

I agree with the recommendations for protein shakes. Also, you could try Boost shakes or milkshakes.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Toss in some high-calorie, high (healthy) fat foods with what you're eating. A small serving of full-fat greek yogurt or nuts can really make a big difference. I have been working out so much lately that I've been having to force high-protein and calorie foods on myself because I was used to eating very little. I'd also recommed beans/legumes. They are low fat, but very filling and a 1-cup serving of black beans is like 250 calories. Salmon is good, too.

Another thing you can do is incorporate extra physical activity to stimulate appetite.

i'm really sorry to hear you've been upset lately, and I hope things resolve quickly.
  • candi_donovan
    Options
    have a handful of peanuts or cashews, protein bars or shakes are good too. Even a tall glass of milk! They are small, but full off good stuff for you. I know exactly how you feel, I have a very hard time eating when I am emotional. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts!
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce and grilled or baked chicken. The pasta can help keep your energy up.
    Hope you feel better.
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    These are great recommendations.

I'm still having trouble after taking a few bites. But I'll keep trying with these suggestions.

Thank you all.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eat more junk food.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just hang tough. Whatever is causing you such distress, just turn it over to the Lord. He won't mind and he is so much more capable of dealing with the issue than you are. Emotional distress just makes me want to eat more. Good luck.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, losing too fast.
    Liquid calories (from fats, protein, and carbs) could be a good option if you simply can't down food
    Think Whole Milk with some sugar/syrup/honey/molasses/etc.
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, losing too fast.
    Liquid calories (from fats, protein, and carbs) could be a good option if you simply can't down food
    Think Whole Milk with some sugar/syrup/honey/molasses/etc.

Easier said than done, but tried milk with some chocolate powder and got it down.
    Thanks for the suggestion.