How to be Broke and and on a Diet?

Options

Replies

• sassyjvg
    sassyjvg Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm going to ask why you use so much stevia that you need to buy it bi-weekly...you may want to go cold turkey there.

Protien powder isn't necessary. Use olive oil it's cheaper. PB2 isn't necessary.

Actually I save money eating the way I do now than eating out all the time (which is how I gained the 35 pounds I lost). It doesn't have to be expensive. Do you have an Aldi near you? I basically live there, everything is very reasonable and their produce beats every grocery store around hands down.
    Oh you noticed my obssession with sweet eats eh? Well, I drink lots of hot green tea all day, I use it to sweeten plain greek yogurt along with coconut oil(tasty treat), and to bump up the sweetness in my protein shakes. I have saved lots of calories this way. I have agave and honey but at the rate that I drink my hot tea, I'm sure there would be a price to pay on my behind it seems.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Check into Zaycon foods online. Maybe they have an event coming to your area soon. It's a great way to buy meat in bulk for much cheaper!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Try to find a farmer's market near you. We usually go on the weekends and stock up. You can get a trunkload of veggies for $40-$50.

Protein supplements are not necessary to weight loss. You can use them if you need, but it's still much better to get protein from lean meats or other whole food sources.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    Use PB2 sparingly (a little does go a long way!) and start using full fat (albeit natural) peanut butter. The fat in any sort of nut butter is the good kind of fat. Heart healthy and all that :)

Eating healthy is not more expensive than eating junk--don't buy into that! I choose generic brands (if I trust that I'm not compromising quality) and spend the majority of my cash on the best produce--and then fill up on that! Lean proteins and good produce are all you need to be successful and healthy!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have to say I've found it cheaper to eat healthier vs. junkier. Don't know why people say it's more expensive.

All of the things you listed aren't "needed" to lose weight. Sure, they've helped you, but there are other ways. Or do it differently. For example, like someone suggested before, buy popcorn in bulk and some paper lunchbags, a few tablespoons of popcorn in the bag, fold it and pop it for a few minutes in the microwave. CHEAP!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    skip the meat or only have it a few times a week. Beans, brown rice, lentils, are soooo cheap. even eggs are cheap when you consider how many meals they can make.
    I shop for veggies at a farmers market and leave with a trunk full for 20-30$.
    my biggest expense is dairy. milk yogurt sour cream cottage chease, sour cream, cream cheese, cheese. i should cut the dairy or invest in a cow.
    Also skipping the middle of the grocery store with all of the refined products such as crackers, bars, mixes....
    home made salad dressing taste better and are cheaper.
    i make bbq sauce, teriaki, sweet thai, marinades, salad dressings. Saves a ton of money and you can make quality products.
    My biggest saving came when i realised how much food I throw out. I stopped shopping in huge portions and now only shop for 2 or three days. We eat what is in the fridge before we buy more and throw out a whole lot less.
    Hope you find a usefult tip in my monologue.
    Best wishes
  • skyeblu18
    skyeblu18 Posts: 11
    Options
    Perhaps you can try shopping at cheaper super markets, or Target and Walmart. I know the items in their grocery section are reasonably priced.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I would take a deeper look at your actual budget and spending for a month and see if food is really the area you need to cut back on. You might be surprised at what you discover. I just printed out my May bank statement and used the following system of highlighting from Dani Johnson and found I had a lot of unnecessary spending in other areas that needed to be cut.

Blue=house, utilities etc.
    Yellow=Groceries (not eating out)
    Purple=Transportation costs
    Orange=Everything else that is not an absolute necessity (eating out, starbucks, subscriptions, cable etc.)

the average person finds at least $500 in completely unnecessary spending. I had a lot more and was completely shocked. Now I will have more money to save, pay off debt and buy the healthy foods I need.
  • SaraJRosburg
    SaraJRosburg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don’t necessarily agree with everyone telling the OP that she shouldn’t worry about protein powder and should just get her protein from other sources. Quality meat is very expensive. Not to mention the fact that an individual need to find what foods/diet works for him/her. If the OP finds it easiest to get her protein in shake form, than more power to her for making a healthy decision that works for her. It’s more likely for her to continue with a healthy diet if she eats things she likes.

It’s so frustrating when people post a topic on MFP only to have others steer from the original question so they can throw out their opinion and not offer suggestions to the question being asked.

sassyjvg – I would suggest trying Amazon.com for your protein powder. You can buy a larger quantity to get you through several months, rather than buying it monthly, and usually you can get free shipping on larger orders. This is a seller that I’ve gone through before... http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337709272&sr=8-1.

Also, do you use coupons much? Most stores will allow you to double up on coupons by using a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon on the same item. I would look in your Sunday paper or on Coupons.com. Target stores are good about posting coupons on their website that can be combined with the coupons found online. Also chat with your friends that are also on a limited income and let them know to keep their eye out for sales on specific items you like, and you can do the same for them.

As for Popcorn – are you buying Microwave popcorn? That can tend to be pricy (and loaded with sodium) if you’re not careful. I would suggest buying an old school bag of popcorn kernals and popping it yourself in a skillet on the stove, its cheaper and healthier.

Hope my minor suggestions are helpful – and keep up the good work.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the others. Ditch the processed crap and start afresh with real foods. I've found it cheaper as I'm no longer eating rubbish between meals or eating as many takeaways or meals out.

Oats are especially cheap and make a tasty filling breakfast as porridge made with milk over a banana or drained tinned fruit so you don't need to add any sweetener.

Keep at it!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You could find a cheaper protein powder and buy your stevia in large bags instead of portioned packets. I agree that brown rice is very cheap and goes a long way while being filling. As for produce, except for bananas and strawberries, I get whatever is on sale when I go. Homemade soups are usually cheap to make in large portions, and if you add it on top of brown rice, it can go twice as far. My husband and I have found eating healthier is much cheaper than how we were eating before.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Look for sales and buy a fair amount then. Shop at places more like Aldi, etc.

A while back I found tuna at 25c/can and bought a few cases. Yeah, it was more up-front, but I've been eating it for a while now. I get most of my fresh fruits and veggies at Aldi(as a matter of fact, that's about the ONLY place I get fruit), as well as my dairy and some of my meat. I get all the grocery store fliers (available online) and see if there's any cheap meat and vegetables, and then go there, and if it's REALLY low I stock up.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    www.bountifulbaskets.org
    See if there's one in your area. You get a lot of fruits and veggies, for 16.50 every Saturday. It's a Co-op thing, and a ton of fun. Plus, you don't get to pick your foods. It's a surprise every week :)

Wish this program was available in my area.

I wanted to piggyback off the above statement. Depending on where you live, you can check to see if you have access to the SHARE Food Program or Angel Food Ministries. These food banks/programs allow you to buy food (including frozen meats, fruits, veggies) for very reasonable prices. Each website offers a different monthly menu and sometimes special packages. These programs are often operated out of local churches or non-profits.

I usually get a monthly box which contacts potatoes, onions, some fruits (usually apples, oranges, or bananas), frozen meats of some sorts (chicken thighs, boneless chops, etc.), canned veggies, and other food items. All for $20.00.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don’t necessarily agree with everyone telling the OP that she shouldn’t worry about protein powder and should just get her protein from other sources. Quality meat is very expensive. Not to mention the fact that an individual need to find what foods/diet works for him/her. If the OP finds it easiest to get her protein in shake form, than more power to her for making a healthy decision that works for her. It’s more likely for her to continue with a healthy diet if she eats things she likes.

It’s so frustrating when people post a topic on MFP only to have others steer from the original question so they can throw out their opinion and not offer suggestions to the question being asked.

sassyjvg – I would suggest trying Amazon.com for your protein powder. You can buy a larger quantity to get you through several months, rather than buying it monthly, and usually you can get free shipping on larger orders. This is a seller that I’ve gone through before... http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337709272&sr=8-1.

Also, do you use coupons much? Most stores will allow you to double up on coupons by using a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon on the same item. I would look in your Sunday paper or on Coupons.com. Target stores are good about posting coupons on their website that can be combined with the coupons found online. Also chat with your friends that are also on a limited income and let them know to keep their eye out for sales on specific items you like, and you can do the same for them.

As for Popcorn – are you buying Microwave popcorn? That can tend to be pricy (and loaded with sodium) if you’re not careful. I would suggest buying an old school bag of popcorn kernals and popping it yourself in a skillet on the stove, its cheaper and healthier.

Hope my minor suggestions are helpful – and keep up the good work.

I disagree with this (in regard to the protein). From what you have listed, you have basically just swapped convenience foods. If you can't afford it, it's not a sustainable plan.

First of all - shop sales. Wal-Mart price matches (check their website for their policy). Farmer's markets are a great source for cheap produce. Don't have one by you? Try frozen veggies - pretty cheap and better for you (and better tasting) than canned. Same for fruit. Aldi's has pretty good quality stuff for considerably less than some stores. Also coupons - true that you don't usually see them for fresh stuff - but seriously - I get most of my hygiene type stuff for free or dirt cheap- which frees up more $ for the food budget.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Lean protein sources (fish, chicken, beans, legumes, etc.) are cheaper and better nutritionally than protein powders. Protein supplements are expensive especially if you're replacing your lean protein sources with powders.

I fail to see how this is "off topic." I simply offered a suggestion to help ease the cost burden of getting protein in the diet.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am coming to the realization that the way I have been eating lately, while highly successful, is not realistic to my budget and I don't know how I am going to transition to a more affordable diet, given my current budget. Right now and for the past 7 months, I have bought and used these items on a regular basis: Protein powder 27.00/month, pb2 4.99 bi-weekly, bananas(reasonablly priced) stevia 70ct box, bi-weekly, coconut oil 52 oz. 30.00 every 2 months, green tea 10.00/monthly, popcorn, 10.00 monthly. This does not include the required fruits and veggies, or leaner more expensive cuts of meat. Do you have any suggestions on cheap diet friendly eats OTHER THAN BEANS???

Unless your a vegetarian or have some other reason not to eat meat, then eating meat is usually way cheaper than protein powder. I agree with OPs, toss the protein powder and the coconut oil (both budget killers!) That gives you $52 more per month to spend on real food which is what our bodies are programmed for.

The basic staples I would say to buy each month with that extra $52 include: carton of eggs (2x month - $3 month), brown rice (1x month - $2 month), loaf wheat bread (2x month - $4), frozen chicken breasts (1x month - $1.99 lb - $8 for 4 lbs - approx 8 breasts), frozen tilapia fillets (1x month - $6 lb for 1 lb - watch for sales), baby carrots (2x month - $3), celery hearts (2x month - $4); I've only spent $30 and you have meat and bulk food items that are still healthy for you.

Watch for sales and buy fruits and veggies that are in season (remember seasons? You can cheat here and ask the sales clerk at the grocery store.) The nice thing about eating seasonal fruits and vegetables is that you get a chance to try different things and it makes it more difficult to get bored with one item. There is also nothing wrong with eating chicken thighs or legs which go on sale for under $1 per pound all the time. Yes, breasts have less fat but thighs and legs are still better and way cheaper than beef. I have also bought pork chops and shrimp for under $2 pound during sales. I supplement my veggies with frozen veggies because they are better for you and they go on sale for $1 all the time. When they go on sale I bulk up on broccoli florets and stirfry veggie mixes that I use for weeks. If you're worried about overeating or eating carbs buy a cheap measuring spoon and cup set and measure it out (I bought mine for 88 cents at Walmart, yes 88 cents for both teaspoons/tablespoons and cups.)

Plan your shopping trip thoroughly. I keep a running list of things I am out of on the fridge. I take a picture of it with my cell phone and take it with me to the store (smart right?) I stick to the list and my budget of $50 a week for two people and we both eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at home at least 16 out of 21 meals (7 days times 3 meals per day.) On the Wednesday before I shop, I scan the grocery ads (either online or paper if I get a free copy that week) for sales and coupons. I have found the best everyday deals consistently at Walmart and Aldi but the local grocery stores like Albertson's also runs good sales (sadly they are in the process of closing my Albertson's and Publix is overpriced on so many items that I only shop sales there.) I am planning a party for Memorial Day and I found wheat(!) hamburger and hotdog buns at Aldi for 79 cents per pack of 8 (the cheapest price elsewhere is $2!)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Can you get coconut oil on Amazon? I get the Nutiva organic unrefined 50 something oz jug on Amazon (free shipping and I do "subscribe and save" to get it at the cheapest price) and it lasts for a LONG time (I use it as moisturizer and mild sunscreen and to cook in cast iron because it doesn't produce free radicals at high heat like olive and other oils. It still has 130 cal per tablespoon though so I do it sparingly.)

I don't eat meat and I only buy it for my family about once or twice a week (organic, free range, I am picky about not supporting factory farms but it's $$$$) but cutting back on that saves so much money. But we love beans and rice meals so if you don't like that that might be harder. Quinoa is cheap and filling. Vegetarian chili is delicious, filling, and mega cheap (even with all organic ingredients) You can serve with cornbread (cheap.) Forks Over Knives has a great cornbread recipe (filled with veggies, spicy and perfect with chili!) Whole wheat organic pasta and organic pasta sauce will feed a family of 5 for about $5 (add some veggies on the side and good to go! LOL) Some other cheap ideas: homemade pizza with whole wheat crust and lots of veggies. Burritos/tacos (I do the Ezekiel Sprouted Corn tortillas, 120 cal for 2, non-GMO organic corn but only about 3.50 for a pack of 12) with black or pinto beans (1.09 per can of organic beans x 2 for my family), piled on with homemade salsa (3.49 for 6 organic romas, I use only 2 to make the salsa) and avocado ($2.) I buy stuff we use a lot in bulk (onion, garlic, sweet potato, etc.)

Packing lunches for work and school saves a lot too. I kind of have the theory we can pay now ($$$ on healthy food) or pay later ($$$ on medical bills from not having healthy food.)

Are you able to grow anything? I live in southern California with a tiny yard (near a 10 lane across freeway so not like out in the country or anything) but in just a small amount of space, we can do cilantro, cantaloupes, bell peppers, hot peppers, beans, squash. I know the weather of different areas make a difference but just if you can do a few herb or veggies that add flavor you can make almost anything taste better without the expense of buying it fresh each week.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely planning meals helps and cooking a large quantity of a meal that you can then eat for several days or freeze in portions eg. bean chilli, soup, stews etc. Also you can cook a lot of tasty things using tinned or frozen vegetables which are often much cheaper (and won't go off), and you can stock up on frozen fish etc at the supermarket, it's much cheaper than fresh fish but just the same! Just try and get creative and keep an eye out for bargains when you're shopping :-) I'm always buying things on deals and keeping them in the freezer til I need them!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have been surprised to see a lot of posts on the message boards about individuals buying protein powder. Is this something that has been prescribed by a doctor? Typically you can get plenty of protein through a normal diet and if you are looking to save some money, eliminate the protein powder all together. Perhaps focus on some cheap sources of proteins like beans (yes I am not the biggest fan either) or eggs which are very affordable. I also agree with the tuna comment in the prior post. Hope this helps!

I went to protein powder because of it's helped curbed my appetite, is quick and taste great! Also it was a sneeky way for me to get water in my diet seeing since I dont care to drink it much. I like all the suggestions I've been given thus far. Sounds like it's time for me to wean myself off of conveinence and start eating with the family. Maybe I can start using the bagged popcorn and not microwaved.:noway:

Google it, but you CAN microwave regular popcorn in a brown paper lunch sack. I bought a 2# bag of popcorn for like $3, and 100 bags for $2....
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    is your $10/month popcorn the pre seasoned bagged microwave kind? If so, I've found that you can pop corn in the microwave as follows: put 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels in a paper bag, put the bag in the microwave, and press the popcorn button if you have one (otherwise follow the "listen until pops slow" instructions on commercial stuff). It's cheap, doesn't require you to own an air popper, and you can put exactly what you want on it.