Lifting weights makes me so tired

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
i have started lifting weights 3 weeks ago. Previous i was a cardio bunny. I've cut my cardio down to 1/4 (20 min) and upped my weights massively compared to what I was doing. I've got to say I'm really tired. Seems to really take it out of me. Getting 1g protein per pound my body weight to help the muscles but I could sleep pretty much most of the day.
I went Sunday and was going to go gym tonight but don't know if it will be a productive work out.
Feel i should Go though. What should I do?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    i have started lifting weights 3 weeks ago. Previous i was a cardio bunny. I've cut my cardio down to 1/4 (20 min) and upped my weights massively compared to what I was doing. I've got to say I'm really tired. Seems to really take it out of me. Getting 1g protein per pound my body weight to help the muscles but I could sleep pretty much most of the day.
    I went Sunday and was going to go gym tonight but don't know if it will be a productive work out.
    Feel i should Go though. What should I do?

It takes a while to adjust when you are just starting out. I would try to get more carbs if energy is an issue and I wouldn't worry so much about getting the 1g per pound, 0.8 is probabl enough for most people's purposes. After a couple of months you wont get so exhausted, but remember to have rest days in there. A 3 day split is probabl the best place for a beginner to start.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    What's your lifting routine look like? Do you do compound exercises or concentrated split? How long is your lifting session?
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Because weight training is completely different than cardio training, your muscles aren't used to the new exercise. It will take a while to get used to the new routine, but stick with it. As mcrow24 said, throw a few good carbs in to help boost the energy. This article gives some ideas for some good healthy carbs: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/snacks/healthy/11-energy-boosting-snacks/
    It's also very important to take a day off now and then to let your body recover, so don't forget to do that.
    Keep up the good work.
  • toshie333
    Options
    I need to become more organised andtake my lunch prepared to work with complex carbs in it. I don't eat alot of carbs and when indo they are complex but I don't eat many.
    I am lifting weights 3-4 times a week. 3 reps of 12 usually struggling on 11 and 12 to complete. I am doing free weights, using smith machine x also the weight machines even though they aren't as productive. I do weights for all the major groups, shoulders back arms legs stomach chest. Usually 2 different exercises on each with 3 x 10-12 reps.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    So you're doing a full body workout on each day? If so, like the others mentioned, it is usually a good idea to have a rest day in between a full body workout. Try not to workout the same muscle two days in a row. Your muscle uses the rest day to recover.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I need to become more organised andtake my lunch prepared to work with complex carbs in it. I don't eat alot of carbs and when indo they are complex but I don't eat many.
    I am lifting weights 3-4 times a week. 3 reps of 12 usually struggling on 11 and 12 to complete. I am doing free weights, using smith machine x also the weight machines even though they aren't as productive. I do weights for all the major groups, shoulders back arms legs stomach chest. Usually 2 different exercises on each with 3 x 10-12 reps.

#1- I would keep reps between 5-10 per set.
    #2- If you do fill body routines you should do no more than 3 per week and it is mandatory to have a day rest between.
  • toshie333
    Options
    Ok so full body 3 times a week with a day rest in-between.
    Add some complex carbs.
    I don't really have much more if any weight to lose now and I'm
    Still set at -500 cal defecit a day for 1lb a week so I think I will up it next week to 1/2 lb or maintenance and use the calories on gym
    Days for complex carbs. Any other tips would be great.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes my blood sugar tank really quickly. 45 mins of good hard lifting = very tired Liz.

I normally do a cup of sweet yogurt or a banana after to help replenish the blood sugar, and I'm good to go.

Also, be sure you're taking at least 24-48 hours off between sessions. Your muscle needs time to recover.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ok so full body 3 times a week with a day rest in-between.
    Add some complex carbs.
    I don't really have much more if any weight to lose now and I'm still set at -500 cal defecit a day for 1lb a week so I think I will up it next week to 1/2 lb or maintenance and use the calories on gym days for complex carbs. Any other tips would be great.

Ooh yes, increasing your calories should make a huge difference. I'd say increase to maintenance so your body has plenty of fuel to work with. You may see a weight gain over the weeks but you shouldn't actually gain any fat, if that makes sense. It's a good idea to stay off the scale when you're first starting a lifting schedule because of increases in muscle mass as well as your muscles holding onto water to help with repairs.

One thing I do that may be all in my head-- I take a supplement called ZMA, it's Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B-6, supposedly for sports recovery. I don't know what the science is behind it, but it does seem to help me sleep after I've had a tough workout.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    sleep more...
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    really am I supposed to be eating 1g of protein for ea lb of body weight!? I am WAY under... am I gonna die?
  • liftingbro
    Options
    really am I supposed to be eating 1g of protein for ea lb of body weight!? I am WAY under... am I gonna die?

Many bodybuilders and people here will tell you 1g per pound of bodyweight but it should be closer to 0.8 for most people or 1g per pound of lean mass if you know how much you have.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it takes a while for your body to get used to it. I used to come home from lifting weights at the gym and fall asleep on the sofa, now I can go in my lunchbreak and I'm just a bit hungry afterwards but full of energy all afternoon.

Either eat more for now, or sleep more (if that's possible in your lifestyle!)
  • lNail
    lNail Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work out at gym 5 days a week 2 hours a day. I do weight training everyday with HIIT once a week. my protein is 200g a day and my calorie intake is around 2000 daily. I eat alot of fruits and raw vegetables for my energy. They seem to give me the jump I need :) I also drink my whey protein about an hour before gym. So im kicking with energy for my workouts. I have to take in around 1100 calories by the time I hit the gym since working out so hard Im burning so quickly. Im not sure if any of this helps. But I know that upping my calorie intake a bit I seemed to kick through it easier along with the fruits and vegetables (raw).
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy and tired like crazy! I have been lifting really hard so I am curious about this too.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think... if you want to lift really hard AND you are trying to lose weight, you will probably have your calories set too low. Go up to maintenance and eat back all your cardio. I am somewhere around 135 lbs (5'6") and gaining weight from the lifting I'm doing, so my situation is a bit different from many people here. But if you are lifting heavy YOU HAVE TO EAT ENOUGH to feed the work you are doing.

If you want to lose weight and lift heavy it can be tricky to find that sweet spot where you are feeding your muscles well, but with a small deficit so you can lose a bit of weight. Either set your weight loss to 1/2 lb a week, OR, figure out your maintenance calorie requirement **for 10 lbs lower than your current weight** and do that, readjusting every month or so.

Drink lots of water and eat plenty of quality food. Otherwise you will be tired, dizzy, cranky, shaky...