Exercise Variety...?

Options
So, I've been working out pretty regularly for about a month and a half now, but for the most part all I do is 30-60 minutes on the elliptical machine... once in a while I do relatively high impact aerobics, but not too often. My question is, how important is variety? Am I fine to just do the same cardio excercise everyday? Am I set to plateau? Do I not have to worry about plateauing (sp??) for a while? Should I be mixing it up to maximize weight loss/fitness? Thoughts? Advice? :huh:

Thanks, guys! :love:

Replies

• wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    U definitly need to incorperate some strength training in at least 3 times a week. Do u have classes at ur gym? I would do some of those. Also on the treadmill i would switch up what u do. Whether it be walking on a really high incline or interval training (running/walking different paces for a certain amount of minutes a piece). HOpe this helps!
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So, I've been working out pretty regularly for about a month and a half now, but for the most part all I do is 30-60 minutes on the elliptical machine... once in a while I do relatively high impact aerobics, but not too often. My question is, how important is variety? Am I fine to just do the same cardio excercise everyday? Am I set to plateau? Do I not have to worry about plateauing (sp??) for a while? Should I be mixing it up to maximize weight loss/fitness? Thoughts? Advice? :huh:

Thanks, guys! :love:

You need to switch it up. Think about getting a new job and you are walking the same path 10-15 times a day. The first couple weeks even months you will lose weight. Then your body gets used to it so after you are done working you have to work out doing something other than walking to get your body to lose again. Your body is built to be strong and always set back to a comfortable and stable shape. So do 15mins of elliptical machine jog on a treadmill for 15mins jump rope for 10mins walk for 5mins then do some type of strength training like weights. Arms, legs, back, pecks. Crunches, push ups, pull ups, squats, lounges... Try that out and you will see with variety how much more you can and will burn!! Good Luck to you!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing for about half a year before i had to start mixing it up.

do whatever works best for your time, interest and what you observe in your personal weight loss.
    strength is important, though.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to worry about plateauing until it happens. It may or may not. I usually do the same workout tape, I've tried varying it, but always seem to go back to it.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I love the elliptical too--it's always been that way! But I have been more successful by switching things up every few days. So now I do elliptical (a few types), treadmill (walk/run intervals), & stairmaster along with strength training & have seen more consistent losses :)
  • justmegan
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice. I actually live in an apartment complex that has a fitness center-- and the only machine that works is the elliptical! I think it's time I splurged on a gym membership! There's a local gym that's only about $10 a month-- certainly worth it.
    Thanks again!
  • justmegan
    Options
    I kinda have a follow-up question, too. So, squats and push-up count as strength training, right? For those of you who do that kind of strength training, how many do you do? And with weight machine, how many reps? I played basketball in high school and of course I remember the routine our coach had us do, but I'm curious to hear what's going down with My Fitness Pals. :wink:

Thanks again!