Are protein bars even good for you?

Options

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone who says to shave your protein bar get rid of the crabs.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I love Pure Protein bars. 19-20 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar. :)
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I only eat them when I am traveling. Haven't in fact eaten any in probably 2-3 months.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I made my own :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

I love the coconut vanilla one mmmmm

Balls, I've just realised I'm thinking of Protein Pow
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.... i have a hard time swallowing them.... i bought a box and now have to eat them... i really dread these :(
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    I spent a lot of time in the aisle with the protein bars, they had so many calories and such a variation in the amount of protein. Then I went over to the aisle with the vitamins and they had reduced sugar Detour protien bars. The calories are still higher than I would like @170, but the protein content is 15 grams. The carbs are 17gr, 1 from sugar, 2 gr fiber and 14 from sugar alcohol...

They aren't bad and I use them at 2:30 or 3:00 to get me through to dinner. I might try cottage cheese to see if that works.
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    I love the Atkins bars!!! Yum!
  • Esme_32
    Esme_32 Posts: 14
    Options
    Luna bars if any for me
  • slc78
    slc78 Posts: 1
    Options
    it depends on your goals. if you are trying to build muscle, you need to increase your protein intake, sometimes beyond what a turkey sandwich for lunch and chicken breast for supper can provide. if used to "supplement" your nutrition, they can be very useful. but they should never replace your "regular food" intake.

as others have noted, there are a lot of choices, just choose the one (or none) that help you achieve your fitness goals.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It's very rare for someone not to like Quest bars. But, it has been known to happen. But, anyone in the fitness world and that wants to eat clean, LOVES these bars. There are many different flavors and 2 different lines... one is sweetened with sucralose and the other is sweetened with Erythritol.

**This is from the website in regards to Erythritol:

While Erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol it is ENTIRELY different than all of the others. It does not upset stomachs, it contains only 0.2 calories per gram and has little to no impact on blood sugar. We know it's important to give you control over your nutrition which is why our All Natural bars are sweetened with Stevia and Erythritol, and our Original Line is sweetened with Sucralose.**

The natural line that uses Erythritol, those bars are soft and gritty; like eating cookie dough. The other line are a bit firmer in texture. And are even really good when you zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds.

Pure Protein bars, Atkins, etc. are made from a list of crap ingredients. Luna bars use cheap quality soy protein... believe me when I tell you that Quest uses the highest quality and most natural of ingredients.
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    Think Thin bars are good too! They're relatively low in sugar and carbs and are high in protein (if you get their protein bar). Also, Larabars are vegan, non-dairy, and gluten free bars that are pretty tasty too.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Well don't know if someone has already mentioned (I'm cooking don't have time to read through, lol) but Atkins bars are low in both sugar and carbs in comparison and personally they have helped me lose 25 pounds in less than three months last year when I chose to use them for the most part in place of my sweet tooth cravings.

I will ALWAYS be a fan of the Atkins bars, especially the chocolate coconut!

For now, when I am about to do a strenuous workout I use Luna bars (to be frank it's just Clif bars for women) because Clif bars are great on protein and all but for my dietary needs there is just too much other stuff in one of those for me. Luna bars are lower in everything. Let me emphasize though, I never "snack" on these. Lets be real here...protein bars other than the carb smart ones like Atkins are truthfully not much better than a Snickers bar or something, save the extra protein.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • fullagrace
    fullagrace Posts: 75
    Options
    Atkins bars! Delicious and they have about 15grams of protein and only like 2-3 net carbs. Around 180-210 calories. Perfect if you dont have time.
  • yeti2000
    yeti2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    I hope you meant carbs and not crabs:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i bought the sampler boxes of quest the sweetened and non.... I was excited by the fact that they were so high in protein and fiber. They have a salty but very bland taste.. I think i might try to sell them on ebay other wise 50 bucks down the drain :(
  • Geaux50Beleaux
    Options
    The new Nature Valley protein bars are pretty good. 12g of fat(7g are Monounsaturated *good fat*) 5g of fiber, 10g of protein and only 6g of sugar. I would check those out.
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options

These are amazing. Because the sugar content is so low, also muscle milk is pretty low in sugar also.
    I eat protein bars and powder all day everyday just to get in what I need.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Read the label, most are light candy bars.