Ab Workouts=Sore Neck

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
I know part of strengthening my core includes strengthening my neck and back, but whenever I try to do any ab exercises, my neck gives out way before my stomach does. I can barely feel it in my abs but my neck starts killing me. I try to relax my neck and definitely focus on making my core do the work (not my neck) but it doesn't seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
K

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Which exercises are you doing?
  • msgoftruth
    msgoftruth Posts: 2
    Options
    Try standing core exercises instead of sit-ups. You can look them up on the computer. I hope this helps. You can also do the plank. It uses your core and doesn't hurt your neck.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been doing floor exercises (crunches, bicycle sit ups, twists, etc) but standing sounds like it would solve my problem...duh! Thanks!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you are not using correct form. Your neck should not hurt while doing about workout.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a while ago till I realised I was not doing it right!
    I know part of strengthening my core includes strengthening my neck and back, but whenever I try to do any ab exercises, my neck gives out way before my stomach does. I can barely feel it in my abs but my neck starts killing me. I try to relax my neck and definitely focus on making my core do the work (not my neck) but it doesn't seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    K