A few 'dumb?' questions....

Options
I have a few general questions. Maybe some of you would be kind enough to give me your opinions.

1. Is it safe to go out to dinner and use the restaurants/MFP's nutrition guidelines for our calories etc.? I eat out a few times a week with my mom and I'm wondering if I should add a percentage or just not eat everything on the plate. I doubt the cooks in back are worried about my fat calories.

2. Probiotics - My husband recently started a diet too and he has been taking a Good Belly probiotic juice drink every morning. I decided to try it too. I would welcome opinions.. good, bad, indifferent, waste of money?

3. I need to lose over 100 lbs and I hate exercise. I"ve started walking more at work and taking the 9 flights of stairs down instead of the elevator. (Can't go up because we have a secure building and doors on all the floors are locked) Every time I've lost weight by working out a lot (trainer and all that), I've gained it back once tax season came and I no longer had the time to exercise regularly. Am I naive to think I can lose a lot of the weight without major exercise? I know I will need to work out to firm up later...

4. Diet sodas - I read on here that Diet sodas are bad for your diet... I know they are generally bad for you because of the carbonation, but I didn't know they were bad diet wise. I drink water, but not alot... Sometimes I drink water with the diet koolaid in it, but mostly I drink diet Dr. Pepper. Am I sabotaging myself?

Replies

• summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I thought I'd leave a couple things since there haven't been any replies yet.

1. Eating out is always tricky. I think that using the numbers on MFP is a good guideline and you should also look at the nutritional info on the restaurants website or menu (if available). Compare the two numbers and make a guess for your food log. It probably won't be perfect but at least it's something.
    2. I know nothing about these...
    3. Any exercise is better than no exercise so even if it is just walking and stairs, it will help. I think that since you have so much weight to lose it will probably be a lot slower (because you aren't burning all those extra calories through more intense exercise) but that doesn't mean you can't lose the weight through your diet. I would try to walk more outside of work as well and maybe do some toning exercises at home, you don't need a gym to get a good work out.
    4. Water is really important, there are lots of other threads about that. A lot of people argue against diet sodas because they say that the sweeteners in them make people crave sugary foods but I've never experienced that. I still let myself have a diet soda occasionally (about every other day) but I make sure that I have plenty of water and crystal light.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1. Is it safe to go out to dinner and use the restaurants/MFP's nutrition guidelines for our calories etc.? I eat out a few times a week with my mom and I'm wondering if I should add a percentage or just not eat everything on the plate. I doubt the cooks in back are worried about my fat calories

You will need to find your own balance between health and personal life since they often conflict when starting out. I would recommend portion control and educating yourself on choices that aren't as calorie dense.
    2. Probiotics - My husband recently started a diet too and he has been taking a Good Belly probiotic juice drink every morning. I decided to try it too. I would welcome opinions.. good, bad, indifferent, waste of money?

I have no clue on this.
    . Am I naive to think I can lose a lot of the weight without major exercise? I know I will need to work out to firm up later...

The only naive part is your concept about firming up later. It's inefficient to "lose the weight first" and then "tone up". That being said, you can certainly make the scale go down without exercise, but I'd recommend exercising.
    4. Diet sodas - I read on here that Diet sodas are bad for your diet... I know they are generally bad for you because of the carbonation, but I didn't know they were bad diet wise. I drink water, but not alot... Sometimes I drink water with the diet koolaid in it, but mostly I drink diet Dr. Pepper. Am I sabotaging myself?

Diet soda will not have a negative effect on your weight loss provided that it doesn't cause you to somehow overeat. Beyond that, I can't comment on diet soda being bad for you unless you have a specific rationale for why they are bad.

Those are my opinions. Good luck!
  • pinknoise31
    pinknoise31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many of forms of exercise I can't stand. I don't like yoga or any sort of exercise class that tries to push you beyond your comfort level. The trick for me was finding things I enjoyed doing. I messed around with a few things, but thought of it as an experiment more in trying to find something I didn't hate. It turns out I really enjoy beginning modern dance classes, zumba and riding a bike. I have been able to get in decent shape just doing these things.
  • RachaelT76
    RachaelT76 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have a few general questions. Maybe some of you would be kind enough to give me your opinions.

1. Is it safe to go out to dinner and use the restaurants/MFP's nutrition guidelines for our calories etc.? I eat out a few times a week with my mom and I'm wondering if I should add a percentage or just not eat everything on the plate. I doubt the cooks in back are worried about my fat calories.

3. I need to lose over 100 lbs and I hate exercise. I"ve started walking more at work and taking the 9 flights of stairs down instead of the elevator. (Can't go up because we have a secure building and doors on all the floors are locked) Every time I've lost weight by working out a lot (trainer and all that), I've gained it back once tax season came and I no longer had the time to exercise regularly. Am I naive to think I can lose a lot of the weight without major exercise? I know I will need to work out to firm up later...

1. I would say yes trust them, just be careful of to many processed carbs. Stick to whole grains, no white bread.
    2. What I read is most probiotic bacteria dont survive our stomach acids, there are only certain ones that can and most of what you see in the store doesnt, and isnt doing you any good. I got a terrible stomach flu last year and after it was over i tried a probiotic to get my tummy back on track..didnt do a thing, was still a month before my stomach was normal again.
    3. I hate excercise too. The key is to find something you like, I discovered that the workout classes are my thing, anything else and i get bored and quit. In a class I have to keep up, and i actually do like them. FInd something you enjoy to do, there are hundreds of kinds, dance, classes, weights, classic stuff...hundreds. You can lose without excercise, but it comes off faster with it and you can eat more.
    4. I dont know...i drink diet dr pepper too...its a treat for me. I try to stick mainly with crystal light and propel...but its a treat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. Using MFP or even the restaurant's nutrition information is only going to get you a ballpark figure. To get that informatnion, as meal is prepared specifically for analysis. The odds that the meal you are served will be exactly like the analyzed meal are pretty low. The cook of the day may add more or less of many ingredients.

2. Probiotics - I think they are a good idea. if you are eating a healthy diet rich in foods that provide prebiotics then you probably don't need them. But most people don't and they are unlikely to hurt you. A healthy gut is important for overall good health.

3. Exercise - IMO this is one the most important factors in losing weight, maintaining weight loss and maintaining good health. Tax season or not, you should make time for exercise. It doesn't have to be hours a day, but you should do something at least 3 times a week.

4. Diet sodas - There is a lot of conflicting evidence regarding sodas out there. Soda is not good for you. It provides no nutrients or health benefits. But if you need to lose weight, diet is better than sugary sodas. This would especially be true if you are not exercising. But you would likely be better off trying to wean yourself from soda.
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    I've read a theory that drinking diet soda is bad because the sweet taste makes your body think you are going to get calories, and then you don't, which can then make you want to eat more.

"Research suggests it has to do with the disconnect between the taste of artificial sugars and their lack of calories. The brain is wired to expect a big load of calories when foods taste sweet or fatty. But because diet foods fail to deliver, it throws the brain out of whack. Studies in animals suggest that artificial sweetener consumption may lead to even more eating and weight gain, perhaps in part because it triggers the body to start storing more calories as fat."

Don't know how much of this is true.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents/opinion....

1. I eat out - just be careful
    2. Probiotics help me - i have IBS issues - they help lesson it
    3. Exercise, especially strength training, is ESSENTIAL. It helps ensure you are losing FAT and not MUSCLE. If you lose muscle, you will gain your weight back and more.
    4. Sodas - Drop em. Nothing good about them. Regular soda is a better choice than diet and it's a horrible choice. Water and tea are the best choices.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    1. I use MFP because it is better to log something than nothing. I have also changed my lifestyle so that I eat more from home or raw foods that I can calculate. It's making my bank account happy too.

2. Probiotics are great if you are unbalanced and need a "restart" but I wouldn't take them on a regular basis unless you have an issue that requires it. My daughter (age 4) has Cystic Fibrosis and she takes culturelle when she is on antibiotics to prevent her from killing off all the good bacteria.

3. Exercise - Weight loss is about diet. That said, exercise is about feeling good and no matter what size you are if you don't feel good you will not be happy. I highly recommend moving for at least 30 minutes each day. You owe it to yourself to make time for you. I personally get into a funk when I don't workout. And I have never once finished a workout and thought, "gee, I wish I hadn't done that."

4. Diet soda- I never had to worry about this because I don't eat sweetners. I do know that if you eat sweets you want more sweets so I would avoid it. You know you. I cut sprite out slowly, but my husband is conquering Dr. Pepper cold turkey. It's definitely a lot harder than exercising.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1) I usually just take a look at the food I am served and make a judgement call. You are right, the cooks could care less about how much butter and olive oil they put on there. I also have a theory that most restaurants publish their "healthiest" version of a recipe - especially on dishes that are considered low cal. So, if that egg mcmuffin looks a little extra oily, I just add a pat of butter or two.

2) no real experience on probiotics for myself, but I agree that unless you have a need to take them (on antibiotics or history of chronic constipation etc) that taking them on a daily basis is a waste. Will it hurt you? prob not.

3) I can relate to the exercise thing, but it is important. Maybe get your diet under control then add in exercise, but don't wait until you are done to start exercising. Start adding it in as soon you feel comfortable with your diet.

4) I weaned myself off diet things in general.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1. Try to limit eating out as much as possible. This is general getting and staying thin advice, but MFP's #'s aren't usually too bad. Just how many calories though should be a real eye opener after a while.

2. I have no idea what this is or what it would be used for.

3. Without developing exercise habits even if you lose weight it is doubtful that you will keep it off, may as well not waste your time trying. Even regular walking makes a HUGE difference. There are a bunch of us at work that have lost a lot and keep it off. Incidentally we are also the lunch walking crew, that walks every day on our lunch break. Coincidence?

4. All this diet soda is bad for you is just nonsense. It is full of prcessessed chemicals and absolutely has to be bad for you, right? There are scare after scares with it; one of the internet's first big scares (aspartame gives brain cancer) is still going strong among the gullible. It isn't good for you certainly, but Diet Soda should be pretty low on your list of bad eating habits to change, it is pretty benign.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    1. Is it safe to go out to dinner and use the restaurants/MFP's nutrition guidelines for our calories etc.? If I get it from the restaurant's website I think it is pretty accurate, so plan ahead and budget for it.

2. Probiotics - good, bad, indifferent, waste of money? I think this is a good idea. I read about how important it can be, although I don't know how good "good belly" is regarding the strains and variety and concentration.

3. I need to lose over 100 lbs and I hate exercise. Am I naive to think I can lose a lot of the weight without major exercise? you will lose weight by diet alone and probably be less hungry but you will probably need to exercise if you don't like the overall look at goal weight.

4. Diet sodas - I read on here that Diet sodas are bad for your diet... Am I sabotaging myself? Maybe. I see conflicting stuff, it's not the carbonation, it's that your body wants to replace the calories it thinks it is getting when you drink it, so you end up wanting those cals and eating them, but plenty of people lose weight and keep their diet soda if you are honest about everything else you eat, just make sure your at a defecit most days.

I think the best advice I heard was to eat at maintenance for your goal weight. It's slower, but it's realistic and you have to eat like that forever, so do it in a way that works for you!
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. Just do your best eating out, try to get accurate but as you said the cooks basically do what ever.

2. Probiotics are Great!

3. you can still lose weight with my experience with out exercise but when you get closer to your goal exercise to tone.

4. water is best and very important but if you really want one it won't kill you to have one once in a while.
  • bigmom37
    bigmom37 Posts: 7
    Options
    There are never dumb questions..... I look at all cal and fat grams that restraunts give out.. I eat salads with dressing on side. so you can dip rather than drown your salad.. I dont drink soda anymore diet or not. When I statred I couldnt walk up the hill.... Now i am up to 5 miles a day.. Start slow and understand we didnt get this weight over night and it takes time to come off... You have to train your mind..... to do this and understand it"S FORVER and a DAy.......Its not a diet.. its a life change.. I dont like water.. so i drink teas.... lemonade and so forth... I eat alot of subway.... good luck
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    4. All this diet soda is bad for you is just nonsense. It is full of prcessessed chemicals and absolutely has to be bad for you, right? There are scare after scares with it; one of the internet's first big scares (aspartame gives brain cancer) is still going strong among the gullible. It isn't good for you certainly, but Diet Soda should be pretty low on your list of bad eating habits to change, it is pretty benign.

I don't think it is necessarily bad as in dieting. It is zero calories afterall. I will share that I was told by a doctor to stop drinking soda because it was leaching calcium out of my bones. He showed me on an xray. I used to drink 4 or 5 sodas a day. This is enough to keep me away from it. That I used to drink diet coke like I had a crack addiction.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! (Anyone want 3 twelve packs of diet dr. pepper???)