Cycling and Weight Loss

Options
Recently, I've started to love bicycling as a good way to get out, exercise, and see the world. While I am happy about this, I have some reservations about whether it will help me lose weight. I have like 40 pounds to go, and want to find a good way to help keep it off and lose more.
Most weight loss stories I've read involve running/walking as cardio. Almost all of my MFP friends get their exercise like this.
I guess I'm looking for people who have lost weight with a bike, or those who have tried and had no luck.
Thanks, and if you want a beginning bicycle friend, feel free to friend me! :)

Replies

• EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started cycling to work & back in February. I had last week off work & I've put weight on weight which I'm putting down to not cycling!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    <
    I attribute most of my weight loss to cycling and being sensible about calories. I also strength train and do yoga. The other benefit is that I am mentally and emotionally stronger than I have ever been in my life. :wink:

Edited to add that most of my rides are longer (30-60 miles) and I average 12-15 mph. I do NOT keep my heart rate up the whole time.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It wont hurt. I started cycling last year and rode 67.5 miles this last Saturday. Your not going to get the high HR cardio like other workouts unless your doing sprints. I ride at a slower pace and maintenance a HR of 120-130, my norm being 60 so I am burning something.
  • Luc245
    Luc245 Posts: 73
    Options
    Along with proper nutrition and healthy eating, anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps you moving will help you lose weight. Biking is great for weight loss. I know myself since I bike to work a lot and it helps me lose weight for sure. Make sure you eat enough if you cycle a lot!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I ride all the time. It helps me but I cannot ignore the diet.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love cycling. I ride to and from work whenever possible and in the Spring-Fall my husband and I ride area trails. We even plan weekend getaways around biking trails. I Spin 2x a week now (in December through March, I also do a 2 hour endurance Spin class which is offered only at that time). While I am currently in maintenance mode, cycling is a great way to lose weight and keep it off. Take a look at professional cyclists--they are very lean.
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think cycling all depends on the effort you put into it. If you are biking slowly and leisurely - it is not going to get your heart rate up. However, if you are using the bike as a tool to challenge yourself, for example, hills, resistance, intervals, etc, it will totally help you lose weight. I suggest using Strava or another GPS tracking app or system - maintaining 12-14 mph is hard, and I think a lot of people overestimate how fast they are going.

But, if you love riding your bike - just do it!

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but, I ride my bicycle every single day, competitively and leisurely, have listened to seasoned cyclists and participated in bike tours spanning over 700 miles.

-N.
  • chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I started cycling in Feb and absolutely love it. I prefer it more than walking. I try to get in at least 5-10 miles a day and I ride 4-5 times per week. I have an app on my phone that helps with the speed and distance which is really cool.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Love love love cycling.
    I am going out for a 90 min ride this evening.

It will be an amazing workout for sure.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 60 lbs last year. From April-May through the end of October.

I was on my bike 5 - 6 days per week!

Now, I did have other scheduled exercise days and I did make a big change in my eating habits.

But as far as exercise goes, the additional cardio came from bike riding.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by biking. Eventually you should consider incorporating other kinds of cardio and strength training into your routine, but its a great place to start, and an awesome, enjoyable way to get your butt moving!

Finding something you enjoy doing is a big part of starting a healthy (sustainable) lifestyle! :happy:
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i cycle around town for transportation and i do indoor spinning for cardio. it's all about getting your heart rate up and keeping it there, which i think is kinda hard to do just pedaling around town. but it's a great way to burn a few extra calories everyday, and way better on your pocketbook and mother earth!
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree with the above posters that with the right heart rate and effort, cycling can be a great form of exercise not only to loose weight but to also increase your cardio ability/VO2 Max. I also agree that utilizing a heart rate monitor is one of the best ways to track your effort and progress. Best of luck!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I both commute each day (46 miles) and either club ride or solo ride Sat & Sun.

I lost nearly 5 stone last year through a combination of diet and cycling (11500 miles).

It is also helping me keep the weight off (YTD miles 5935)
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight cycling! As others have said, the big challenge is to keep your heart rate up and maintain the cardiovascular benefits of the sport.

Without getting too complicated, the simplest way to ensure you're working (and not just coasting) on your bike is to monitor cadence. Luckily, you can buy a cadence monitor for about $10 at any local sporting goods store. Ideally, you monitor heart rate as well, but if you don't already have a HR monitor, don't worry too much about it.

Cadence is simply your revolutions per minute (ie. RPM). The ideal range for cycling is an RPM of between 85-100 RPM. This means that your legs are actually moving pretty quickly. The first few times you try it, you might need to adjust your gears to find the right gear where you can maintain that cadence without going into cardiac arrest. :)

If you're anything like me, I used to always cycle on the hardest gear, pedal a few times hard and then coast for a bit. To get a good workout, this is not solution. Spinning is. This means finding a gear where you can maintain 85-100 RPM - it should feel like you're working, but you should feel like you can maintain the rate for a long time. This also means adjusting your gears as you ride along different terrain so that you're constantly exerting approximately the same effort, while at the same time, maintaining the same RPM.

Example, when you approach a hill, start to change gears as you ride up the hill so that it doesn't feel like you're burning your quads to get up the hill while maintaining 85-100 RPM. Same thing going down...if you maintain the up-hill gear, it's going to be way too easy on the way down. In fact, you won't even be able to pedal because your tires will be moving faster than the gear you are in has the capacity to spin. To find a gear that has more power behind it and find your 85-100.

Once you've mastered spinning, you can add fun things like intervals into your weekly routine. Spin in a comfortable gear for 2 minutes, then gear up into a harder gear for one - all the while, trying to maintain your 85-100 RPM.

I've been strictly on the bike for the last 3 weeks, as I'm recovering from an injury. And in that time, I've continued to lose - I think about 6 or 7 pounds during this time.

One last thing - recognize that as you get fitter, you will be able to maintain RPM in a harder gear all the time. So take note of where you start (ie. what is your "comfortable" gear). That way, you can celebrate the strength you've gained after a few weeks of committed cycling!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I was 21 I decided i wasn't going to waste time and money on taking a bus pass anymore so I rode to and from work 5 days a week and lost 20-25lbs without even realizing it. It took me 3 months to lose that weight. It was a 25 minute commute each way so 50 minutes of cardio 5 times a week...it's definitely going to help.

I've lost nearly 20lbs since Christmas and have started cycling again, not 5 days a week but I'm pretty hopeful the 21km commute 3 times a week won't hurt my weight loss, that is for sure!

Good luck!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you love cycling then as they say in Scotland, "On yer bike!

Cycling, whether at a leisurely pace or velodrome speeds is great cardio exercise and if you want to know how good it is for weight loss, just look at the Dutch or the Danes. They like their beer and their pastries and doughnuts and sandwiches and yet most of them are in great shape because they cycle (and walk) everywhere.

I'm not a road cyclist, nor a mountain biker, but I love getting on my bike and I cycle to the gym (and around town). I also love swimming and between the two, I've lost 60lbs (28kg) - of course I count my calories too but I enjoy my food and enjoy my exercise and that's what makes things work!
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I mountain bike, I think it has contributed to part of my weight loss.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I normally mountain bike up hill in the summer time. It definetly gets your heart rate up. Can't wait to get back on my bike.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I bike commute and have no problem keeping my heart rate up, I do use a hrm and burn about 600 calories + per hour. I live in a hilly area and I am sweaty and tired at the end of my ride each day. My commute has gotten quicker since I started in September as I get stronger and faster. Nutrition is still key and it is no matter what exercise you do, yes biking will help you lose weight but you still need to eat a healthy balanced diet.
    ps, love my bike and am saving up for a upgrade next year.