Help! No results

Options
Per MFP I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I exercise three times - five times a week and just can't seem to lose any weight. Some people have told me to bump up my calories but I'm really not hungry to eat more. I eat a cereal bar for breakfast alot of chicken and greens, I drink alot of water but I just can't seem to lose any weight. I'm getting burned out on chicken and counting calories. Any ideas? What works for you?

Replies

• Shadae8922
    Shadae8922 Posts: 3
    Options
    im only losing at a rate of about .5 pound a week so the results arent that visible right now. Im on the 1200 calorie diet. I was hoping for at least 2 lbs a week. I want to know the answer to your question too, so BUMP!

Im 5'4" 155 lbs
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    too much chicken doesn't work for me, as I would get too much protein and not enough fat. Mix it up with some oily fish and other protein sources.

If your diary was public it's easier for folks to comment. You might also like to share your height, weight, goals etc.

1200 calories sounds like a 1 lb/month or higher target loss rate, do you eat more than 1200 when you exercise ?

If you don't want to eat more you could exercise less - the effect is similar ie a smaller calorie deficit.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat more. If you're not losing at all with your goal set to lose 2 lbs/week, change your goal to 1 lb/week or even .5 lbs/week. But I endorse eating back exercise calories too.
  • SLKNJ852
    SLKNJ852 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Burning too many calories, or not eating enough to cover your activity, could have negative effects on your goals of losing weight.

Chances are also that based upon your inputs to MFP it gave you 1200 because that is the lowest allowed. That being said, you SHOULDN'T eat less than that but rather maybe eat a little more and burn more/better calories when doing your exercise.

Are you wearing a heart rate monitor to see what your body is actually doing doing exercise? And yes, share your height, weight, age, and goals!
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you need more information about your body and you need to try switching it up a bit.

I would start by visiting fat2fitradio.com, click on 'All Calculators' and do the 'Military Body Fat' calculator to get your body fat % (this is a great success measure to use rather than weight). After you have your BF%, go to 'BMR Calculator' and input your info. It will give you your minimum daily calories based on exercise levels, and is based on your goal weight. This means you are eating less than what you body needs now. If you want to speed up weight loss, drop your daily calories by a few hundred, without going below your BMR.

It's easy to fill your day with the right amount of calories. Try adding avocado, nuts, and cheeses to your snacks and meals. Those add up quickly and gives your body fats it needs as well. No need to stick to chicken, mix it up!
  • srankin123
    srankin123 Posts: 2
    Options
    I wouldn't want to eat more either if all I was eating was chicken and greens. When I exercise I treat myself to something that's healthy but wouldn't normally fit into my calorie range. I like the Luna protein bars. They are a sweet treat that helps keep your diet in line because the protein keeps your apetite in check. I also have a nice glass of wine at the end of the day if my calories permit. If this is going to become a lifestyle change, you have to fit food in that you can appreciate and enjoy along your journey. Good luck.
  • cholibear
    cholibear Posts: 86
    Options
    My opinion is that you need more information about your body and you need to try switching it up a bit.

I would start by visiting fat2fitradio.com, click on 'All Calculators' and do the 'Military Body Fat' calculator to get your body fat % (this is a great success measure to use rather than weight). After you have your BF%, go to 'BMR Calculator' and input your info. It will give you your minimum daily calories based on exercise levels, and is based on your goal weight. This means you are eating less than what you body needs now. If you want to speed up weight loss, drop your daily calories by a few hundred, without going below your BMR.

It's easy to fill your day with the right amount of calories. Try adding avocado, nuts, and cheeses to your snacks and meals. Those add up quickly and gives your body fats it needs as well. No need to stick to chicken, mix it up!

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing as the person who posted this, and this helps out a lot :)
  • lashawnajn
    lashawnajn Posts: 1
    Options
    I started out the same way you did, decreasing my meals and exercising and was not seeing any results. I got a personal trainer that told me that "starving" my self and exercising wasn't the way and that to take my workouts to the next level..I needed to start each and every day with a high protein low carb breakfast, lunch, dinner and healthy snacks. Needless to say with that advice I dropped the trainer and lost 7 pounds in 2 wks...yay. its is an uphill battle and you will get tempted but your need to eat in order to kick your metabolism into gear. I hope things work out for you, because its killing me !!
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as the original poster, upped my calories (re the recommendations of TDEE and BMR excel spreadsheet from this website search results), and have added jogging to my routine. I am having a hard time eating over 1200, but I am definitely feeling better, and seeing some inches come off. I agree with all those who recommend eating back your exercise calories. For 3 months I was in kind of a starvation mode, and felt awful.
  • akiss4u2tam
    akiss4u2tam Posts: 50
    Options
    I would suggest talking with your doctor.... Maybe you could continue the 1200 calorie diet but change where you are getting your calories from.... less fats more protein..... And you may need to change up your exercise routine.... One day all cardio... next time half as much cardio with some weight training........ If you are not losing weight............ and your clothes are fitting a little nicer.........then you may be gaining muscle weight......... Don't give up... :o)
  • bama_sweetheart
    Options
    I started out the same way you did, decreasing my meals and exercising and was not seeing any results. I got a personal trainer that told me that "starving" my self and exercising wasn't the way and that to take my workouts to the next level..I needed to start each and every day with a high protein low carb breakfast, lunch, dinner and healthy snacks. Needless to say with that advice I dropped the trainer and lost 7 pounds in 2 wks...yay. its is an uphill battle and you will get tempted but your need to eat in order to kick your metabolism into gear. I hope things work out for you, because its killing me !!

So what are some high protein breakfast ideas?
  • bama_sweetheart
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. I am 5'10 and 200 lbs at the moment. I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant. My goal weight is 150.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. I am 5'10 and 200 lbs at the moment. I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant. My goal weight is 150.

omigosh I'm 5'7" and 170-ish and I'd die if I tried to live on 1200 calories lol... I'm eating 2100/day and have lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks with my MFP goal set to losing .5 lbs/week and eating all my exercise calories back.

Don't be afraid of the food. Food is good. Good food is awesome. Your body needs it in adequate quantities to make everything work right... like your hormones, metabolism, muscles and brain :D

Eat! :D (sorry, not trying to lecture)... and if you're having a hard time, don't eat any diet foods at all. Just full sugar, normal fat... as clean as possible with junk food in moderation :)
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So what are some high protein breakfast ideas?

Eggs are a good protein source... I usually have a 2 egg omelette with diced ham and cottage cheese. On occasion I also add chicken, bacon and/or spring onions.
  • cali798x
    cali798x Posts: 32
    Options
    I just started but wow! 1200 a day at 5'10? Just like the other tall lady here I am 5'11" 175 and have my goal at 1 lb per week and they give me somewhere around 1545 calories. I would starve at 1200! and I would be bored with food too! It is hard enough keeping it at 1500.....I cannot testify to losing weight since I just started but that eating back your burned calories sounds good too.

High protein breakfast is: eggs, protein shakes, and crust-less quiche (eggs I know) also greek yogurt has some.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    In my losing last year I ate 1200 cal...was satisfied on it. with my exercise I pushed myself... walking everyday... pushing it to 13K a day... during that time i was losing a pound to a half a pound a day. I say the excessive walking is what made me drop the weight fast. i laugh when i see people say you are starving yourself etc etc... i certainly did not starve. calories in n calories burned will determine your loss. I was under my docs care n had blood checked regularly so i was healthy as a horse in doing it. n oh yeah.. im 5 foot 10
  • michellekicks
    Options
    In my losing last year I ate 1200 cal...was satisfied on it. with my exercise I pushed myself... walking everyday... pushing it to 13K a day... during that time i was losing a pound to a half a pound a day. I say the excessive walking is what made me drop the weight fast. i laugh when i see people say you are starving yourself etc etc... i certainly did not starve. calories in n calories burned will determine your loss. I was under my docs care n had blood checked regularly so i was healthy as a horse in doing it. n oh yeah.. im 5 foot 10

No offense intended whatsoever, but the OPs situation is nothing like yours. She likely has less than 50 lbs to lose... more like 25-40 I'm guessing. It doesn't have to be done that dramatically. For some people, it's more important to hurry up and get the weight off due to health concerns. For others, that's less of a concern so the focus becomes more about doing it slowly with less drastic measures.
  • bama_sweetheart
    Options

No offense intended whatsoever, but the OPs situation is nothing like yours. She likely has less than 50 lbs to lose... more like 25-40 I'm guessing. It doesn't have to be done that dramatically. For some people, it's more important to hurry up and get the weight off due to health concerns. For others, that's less of a concern so the focus becomes more about doing it slowly with less drastic measures.

I am going to try bumping my calories up and exercise more hopefully I will get the results I'm looking for. I'm just so discourages stepping on the scale and not losing anything. The good side is I'm not gaining either. Throw me some food ideas I'm bored with everything i'm eating now.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, simple as that. You do need fats, fruits and vegies, dairy and grains along with protein. I am 5'4" and weight 145 and I eat at least 1400 calories. If you don't eat more, you won't lose weight and what you do lose will come from muscles, not fat. Your body is hanging onto every calorie and bit of fat it can just to survive. Get your BMR calculated and eat that much (it will surprise you just how much).
  • bama_sweetheart
    Options
    You need to eat more, simple as that. You do need fats, fruits and vegies, dairy and grains along with protein. I am 5'4" and weight 145 and I eat at least 1400 calories. If you don't eat more, you won't lose weight and what you do lose will come from muscles, not fat. Your body is hanging onto every calorie and bit of fat it can just to survive. Get your BMR calculated and eat that much (it will surprise you just how much).

My BMR says 1700 calories. I bumped my calories up to 1500 do you think that will be fine. I dont think there is anyway I will eat 1700 calories a day. I stay under 1200 now.