Have you had success despite Hypothyroid?

Options
People diagnosed with hypothyroid: Please tell me your story if you have at least 75 pounds to lose and have lost 40 pounds or more and have kept it off.

I would love to know if you think a high protein diet and low carb works best?
Any other tricks or things that have made you successful?
How have you kept your motivation even when you plateau for long periods?
Anything else that you might find helpful or useful.

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Are you on thyroid meds? I'm diagnoses but not on meds because the doc doesn't think mine is that sever (little does he understand my symptoms) anyways. I find low carb/low fat works best for me. I also found out i'm allergic to wheat/glutein and have low vit d, so once I started to up my vitamin d and stop eating wheat/glutein regularly as the doc recommended I actually started to see some weight loss. Also upped my calories a little bit, and lower impact exercise and some strength training
  • shanntan
    shanntan Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes. I'm on 100 mcg of synthroid.i have low vitamin D too. i just started taking vitamins for that. i wonder if i have some kind of allergy to wheat/glutein as well. i think i will take it out of diet for awhile to see. I workout a lot. and i keep within my calorie goal, but when i do not do severe calorie restriction--like under 1000 it seems like i do not lose at all. My strength training mostly consists of yoga--i could up that.
  • shanntan
    shanntan Posts: 5
    Options
    ps--thanks for your reply.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    shanntan - we have a Hypothyroidism group on MFP that you can join. Many, many of us on here with thyroid disease.

Terri
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I take 150 of Synthroid. I have Hoshimoto's. I don't watch protein to carb ratio, I just walk, drink water, eat balanced meals.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am on 75mcg of Synthroid after a hemithyroidectomy for a golf-ball sized benign tumor in my thyroid last spring. It took until October/November to get my levels straightened out. I have lost 29.5 pounds since December 2012, a total of 39.5 since January 2011. I workout at Curves 5 days most weeks, hula hoop 5 to 6 times most weeks and have added Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I am not following low carbs ... just the calorie recommendations on MFP.

If your doctor is not working with you about your symptoms it is time to change doctors. Maybe find an endocrinologist in your area. I am fortunate that my doctor has low thyroid as well so he is very understanding about the condition and symptoms. The only symptom I still have is being cold. I also have chronic low vitamin D and chronic low B12. I take supplements and get a B12 shot once a week.

Feel free to add me if you need hypothyroid friends. Good luck - it takes work but you can make progress even with your thyroid being difficult.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a little over a year and half ago. I have 100+ to lose and currently take 50MCG of levothyroxine (synthroid). I lost about 50lbs until I hit a brick wall last August. Since then, I've been gaining and losing the same 5-7 pounds which has been super frustrating. I'm currently re-evaluating how honest I am with my calorie counting and whether I underestimate. I recently lowered my calories and I'm hoping that will help.

When I dropped my first 50, it was mostly because I made such a big lifestyle change I think. I was super dedicated about what I was eating and that's probably where my problem lies now -- I've gotten kind of lazy. I didn't cut out any food groups or focus on just one I simply ate better and cut out things like fast food and the like. Given that my medication has been stable for while without having to increase or decrease, I don't think my plateau is related to my hypo. I've also been losing inches and so it's possible my weight just needs to catch up.

As for the gluten and vitamin thing, I do not have issues with gluten or any other food stuffs and have not needed to supplement vitamin D -- though I have been meaning to take a daily vitamin just to make sure I'm getting enough of everything.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Yes. I'm on 100 mcg of synthroid.i have low vitamin D too. i just started taking vitamins for that. i wonder if i have some kind of allergy to wheat/glutein as well. i think i will take it out of diet for awhile to see. I workout a lot. and i keep within my calorie goal, but when i do not do severe calorie restriction--like under 1000 it seems like i do not lose at all. My strength training mostly consists of yoga--i could up that.

It takes about 3 weeks for the vit d kicks in. I do 1300 calories a day plus eat back some exercise calories. Also high protein is good for me too
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this as I am interested in everyone's answers as well. I also have hypothyroidism (& Hashimoto's) & for several years it has kept me fatigued. A little over a year ago, I changed all that and started a healthy lifestyle of eating and exercising. My problem is that it is V-E-R-Y slow to lose weight. I do blame it on my thyroid, although my dr./Endo says if my meds are regulated it can't be; however, I am given no other explaination. I also had a vitamin D deficiency & also chose to take Gluten out of my diet for stomach issues. I have been on a plateau since mid-March with no changes in weight or inches. I have also even increased my exercising to add running in addition to alternating between a high intensity cardio workout & strength training. Curious to read everyone's answers/suggestions to this post!
  • coraann23
    coraann23 Posts: 6
    Options
    Im glad i searched this i have about 75-80 lbs to lose and i have graves disease and hypothyroidism i have had it for 8 years now i have gained about 40 lbs within a year how depressing!!!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I have hypo too and took out gluten and doc advised me to take Vit D and B12....makes a BIG difference and slowly is the better way to lose and this is the first time i've lost in a long time and currently I'm the smallest i've been in about 7yrs
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed as hypothorid since I was 16 and I'm almost 37 now. I am on meds for it too. I did lose 100lbs before doing weight watchers and exercising and then I had 3 kids so I did gain it back. Now I am exercising and trying to eat right on my own and so far I'm down 50lbs. I havbe to be honest with you it is a lot harder for us but it IS very very possible to do it! I believe the medication helps because if I don't take it I'm supper sluggish and then I don't feel like working out and just want to sleep all the time.

I am not giving up even if my weight loss is really slow it is very possible to do and not make it an excuse but part of who you are.