Am I the only woman...

Options
who gets her work out gear on with all the intentions of doing a great work out and then gets side tracked somewhere along the way just to spend the entire day in work out gear but never getting a work out? This happens to me so many times and by the time I realize it it's time for dinner, bed, work, etc. etc.
How do you women who actually do it, do it?

Replies

• normaleverydaymom
    Options
    hahaha.... so true!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I hate working out. Accidentally injuring myself was the best thing for me in that limited respect. I've never been able to do it, but I think that working out first thing is best if you're like that.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I make it a priority and think of how happy it makes me feel after and how I'll feel when I reach goal weight. I literally get home from work and do not sit down, because I know if I sit down I may never go workout that day. So I immediately change into my workout clothes and go out the door! :) A good burn can take me only 30 mins!!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dude and I do it too. but then my workout gear is just shorts and a comfortable Tee
  • nwood13
    nwood13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do this quite often! It makes me feel better just having my workout gear on! :)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I plan my workouts to be in the evening. Otherwise, it just never gets done.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Although I do love to workout now, I look at it like its a job. I HAVE to go to the gym. I just do it! :-)
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I purposely go to school in mesh shorts with a sports bra on under whatever I'm wearing so that when I get home I can just throw on my shoes and go (:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't put my workout clothes on until I'm ready to workout. My workout bra is great in that it does it's job and keeps the girls where they should be, but it's not really comfortable to wear all day so no, I don't do that.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I wake up several hours earlier than I have to in order to work out specifically. My sister is my accountabili-buddy, since she's addicted to working out and that's when she goes. Plus, she's in pretty much PERFECT shape (6-pack, muscles, etc) so she's my motivator/inspiration.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I plan to work out at home.. it is likely to never get done.. just because I'll see 100 different things that need to be taken care of, however if I have a class to make.. or something with a specific time frame, and I have to actually get in the car and go.. I'm much better about going.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym more consistently when I write it in my calendar. Then I don't wind up with something else that takes priority. Works for me.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You're not alone :)

Sometimes when I feel myself making excuses and need a push, I wear my workout clothes all day until I put my daughter to bed... then, IT IS TIME TO WORKOUT. Sometimes just getting up and getting started is the hardest part. On tough days I tell myself, even if you don't kick butt you're still doing it and that's better than doing nothing at all. Anything you can do for yourself to get moving is worth it.

Sometimes life happens and you just can't. That's ok. Get back at it tomorrow! Something that REALLY helped me stay consistent was making a weekly schedule... that way I don't have to figure out what to do, which can be equally as draining sometimes when you don't even feel like working out.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I plan my workouts first thing in the morning. I get rid of the guy and the kid and then I hit it. I workout at home which gives me some freedom to choose am or pm. When I dont get it in in the morning I try to do it at night just before bed. My whole family works out so its not to bad I just say lets go for a run and thats it.
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I pack my gym bag the night before and leave it next to my purse and laptop bag that I take to work. Then I put the gym bag in the trunk, and on my way home, stop at the gym. I purposely picked a gym that was on the way home so there is no way to avoid it, and I try to make sure I do it before I get home, or it may never happen.

Lately I have been working home more, so I don't drive as much. On those days, I try to make myself accountable to go to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays (which I ALWAYS work in the office) and Saturday, first thing when I wake up in the morning. That way I make it at least 3 days a week.

It takes a bit of discipline and making it a priority. Because I'm super busy a lot of the time, I picked Curves (yay 30 minute strength and cardio training) years ago when I was on internship and lost 30 pounds just doing that and a 1600 calorie diet. Now I just need to lose the rest. Pick something that doesn't feel like exercise also helps. Like I had hit a plateau and so I decided to take up free country line dancing classes at a local bar/club and that got me kick started again. NEVER felt like it was exercise though.

The most motivating thing, though, is usually how good I feel afterward. Getting there for me is the hard part, but once I'm there, I'm golden :smile:

Good luck!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I go the gym everyday after work, it is the exit between here and home. On the weekends, it is a little harder to convince myself to go. I usually use mowing as an excuse not to.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I have kids. To workout, I have to make an appointment with childsitting at the gym up to two days in advance, and I have to pack them up and get them over there. Sometimes, if I'm going for an early morning neighborhood trail run, I'll find myself dragging my feet, but I just remind myself that if I don't get out of the door, the sun will rise before I get to the trail, and I'll miss out on my entire reason for waking up that early.
  • tsaarloos
    tsaarloos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I found a friend (one that I wouldn't be embarrased to see me at my worst- sweaty and panting) and made a commitment... It's not easy to find a good workout partner. I drive to her house every morning and it sucks, but soooo worth it- she is much, much smaller than me and it makes me work harder. So far so good- we've been at it for 3 or 4 weeks and I don't let her slack and she doesn't let me slack- we encourage and push each other. Beware of someone who will let you sit it out, you don't need any more excuses. Maybe this would be good for you or like that commercial, you just haven't found the right exercise that gets you interested enough to find the time. The chores and running around will be waiting when you're done working out. Good Luck! :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I believe it was the philosopher Nike who said, "Just Do It."
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    I take my daughter to school then go right to the gym. I really only have a half hour to workout before I have to get to work for 10:30. I figure every little bit counts. Then on Saturday morning I get up and I'm there at 9:00 for an hour of Zumba Dance class and then I get in some weight machines for another hour. For the summer I'll get in more during the week cause I work for the school system and its closed for summer vacation. If I don't do it first thing in the morning I'll get side tracked with everything else I need to get done for my family and home. I really get into listening to my favorite music when I workout. I guess that's why I enjoy going to Zumba Dance class. I'll get to do more of that during the week for the summer also. It's really good for our health to exercise so try to find a way to make it enjoyable for yourself.:flowerforyou: