Master Cleanse

Options
Has anybody done the original Master Cleanse? If so, did it work? Was it terrible to go through? Etc..... ????

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's a terrible thing to do to your body.
  • onit331
    onit331 Posts: 10
    Options
    It sounds like it to me also, but just wondering what others thought.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My sister did it with great success, went on to lose 60lbs after the detox, but gained it back when she moved to MD with her parents. I tried doing it, and it was very difficult, I didnt last long. My aunt did it, but she has sensitive digestion so it wrought havoc on her body and she had to cut it short after a few days. Other than that, if you can do it, it may be worth a shot. It's supposed to be a detox, not a long term thing.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Doctors have told me that the body does not need to detoxify; it does it naturally. The MC might not be the most pleasant thing (although some people like it) , but a few days on it probably won't hurt you, assuming you have no chronic health problems.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Is that the guy that hangs out with Frylock and Meatwad? Oh no, wait.. that's Master Shake :)

But really, your body will "cleanse" naturally.. you don't need to starve yourself or drink disgusting solutions.. just drink lots of water and eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just say no....
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i like to eat.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Not cool.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Not cool.

can i pinch you?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Your body has it's own CLEANSING Organs...Why the _)(*&^%$# why would you believe anything else would work better?
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Best cleanse EVAH is...

1. Get lots of fiber in your diet (20-35 grams depending on your calorie intake)

2. Drink plenty of fluids. "Plenty" varies based on size, environment, activity level, etc. but the old saw of 8 cups a day while not absolutely necessary for everyone never hurts as a starting point.

It's just that easy. Your body will take care of the rest.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Just do a natural semi cleanse... try that first

eat nothing but fruits veggies lean meats no pasta no sugars no drinks just water veggies fruits meats etc if not a meat eater substitute high proteins

Try that for a week, thats what I did and I felt very detoxed...

I felt icky the first 3 days but by day 4 and 5 I was fantastic feeling.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is the magic bullet!

Once everybody does a master cleanse then MFP can shut down for good...
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My sister did it & lost a lot of weight, but once she started eating normally, she gained it all back. Also, the instructions weren't clear, so she ended up drinking an excessive amount in a short period of time & got sick.
    My brother in laws are going to start this next week. I just have to shake my head at them. I don't feel it's a smart thing to do to your body. Especially since it's 105 degrees outside. I think one of them is going to get seriously sick by doing this. I don't advise it.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe that the body can become overloaded with toxins, the liver, kidneys, gallbladder and intestinal tract have a HUGE job to do with the typical modern Western diet. If the body just "did it's job" we wouldn't have 90% of cancers, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and a thousand minor conditions, things as simple as constipation. THAT is ludicrous. These diseases and conditions can, for the most part, be prevented by eating a healthy diet. We need to nourish ourselves on the inside just as much as we take care of our outsides, it's that simple.

That said, I think the Master Cleanse is very extreme and can REALLY throw the body off balance. I tried it a few years ago and was not impressed. My electrolytes got out of whack even though I'd obviously been hydrating like crazy, and it took a few weeks before I regained my energy back and felt "normal". I do know a few people who swear by it, and if you have no issues with it, more power to you, I guess. But that was enough for me, and I won't ever recommend it to my clients. A fruits and vegetables juice/smoothies/pureed soups diet for a week or so is much more satisfying and a lot easier on the system. It gives you some fuel to function (but you will want to get lots of rest and cut out vigorous exercise), but also gives the GI tract a break from slower digesting proteins and grains that can irritate the intestinal wall. Talk to a doctor or certified nutritionist first though, please.