Anyone do spinning classes?

Options
vallemic
vallemic Posts: 278 Member
I'm thinking of trying these at the gym... they just look sooooo hard! The reason why I'm thinking of trying them is that even though I am happy with my weight, my thighs aren't very firm. That type of exercise would appear to help in that area ;)

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I took a spinning class last year - it's very very difficult! I felt like I was dying ten minutes in, but I pushed myself hard and managed to finish the hour! As exhausted as I was, I felt great after. I had planned to continue going, but scheduling wouldn't allow it. Try it out! And don't be afraid to modify if it's too difficult, I certainly did
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used to do them all the time! Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow for them too much these days but I miss them. They are tough, but I started doing them when I was 268 pounds and I didn't worry about keeping up with the rest of the class too much, just making sure I was pushing myself as much as possible every time. So, definitely don't be afraid to modify it and lower the resistance on the bike if you need to - that's what I loved about the class, no one knew what you were doing except you!

Oh, and for what it's worth, my legs were the first thing I really started to see a change in. They are starting to look effing amazing if I do say so myself!
  • westcoastredhead
    Options
    I LOVE TO SPIN!! Like a PP said the first time I went I was dying after about 3 minutes, I could not believe it was possible to get through the whole 45 minute class, but I stuck to it and got completely hooked!! Most instructors will give you alternatives if you are a beginner, pretty much any move can be done sitting or standing so you can taylor that to your fitness level. I live for spin now!! Amazing cardio workout, usually awesome motivating tunes to rock out too as well!! I can’t say enough about how awesome it is!!
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love to spin, I try to at least once a week, if not twice. At first it was hard but after a few times its get better & its one hell of a workout. The hardest thing to get use to is the seats, but you do after about a week or two.
  • TheMadameMorris
    TheMadameMorris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just went to my 3rd class last night! If I can get through it, ANYONE can! A couple of things to keep in mind: 1. You have to go at least twice before you decide if it's for you or not. 2. You will feel like you broke your vagina (keep going!) 3. Make friends with the instructor so they can adjust your seat and handle bars the first couple of times.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Spinning is addictive. I've been spinning for over 8 years. I have the shoes and gel seat because it makes the ride so much more comfortable and the shoes help with form. I'm one of those that have to be front row looking directly at the instructor.

Spinning is at your own level. So while one person may turn up/down their resistance to increase/decrease the intensity you do not have to. As no one will know but you but at the same time don't cheat yourself. When there are sprints or climbs you don't have to do it. When they are standing you can sit. So its at your own pace until you get comfortable with it.

If you are new the teacher should help you set up your bike. Usually with spin its always the same people so if he/she is a good instructor then they should come to you to make you feel comfortable.

If you are running you need to do cross training on your off days and spinning is the best for that.

Your butt will hurt so don't let that discourage you. It will get better. If you find you like it get a gel seat. Makes a world of difference.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love it!!
  • beandawgy
    beandawgy Posts: 92
    Options
    I got into spin about 6 months ago and I love it. It's the most fun I've had doing cardio, ever.

I attend classes at least 3 times a week and the classes are usually 45 minutes long. I'd say I burn anywhere between 550-720 calories depending on how hard I push myself and how good the instructor is. Definitely my new go-to cardio workout :) . Not to mention it gives you great leg (quads) and glute definition...that's just a great added bonus.

If you're just beginning it's definitely a good idea to take it easy and build endurance and strength slowly, don't wanna push yourself too hard from the get go. I know a lot of people that tried to keep up with instructors on their first class and totally felt discouraged like they couldn't keep up.

Slow and steady progress is the key!
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My primary sport is running, but I frequently spin on my off/cross-training days. It's a GREAT workout and also low-impact, though certainly not easy.

Like others said, you can take it at your own pace/resistance. What's a 7 resistance for you might not be what it is for anyone else. And the seat is the hardest thing to get used to. My gym has a padded seat cover that we let the newbies use for a few weeks.
  • emmaw1810
    emmaw1810 Posts: 11
    Options
    Love it!
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've been taking spinning classes for the pass couple of months & I love it...at first it seems hard but once you get the hang of it its really easy and a great way to help weight loss & tightening...
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just started doing spin the past few weeks and I LOVE it!!!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started spinning 9 weeks ago this past Monday. My friend and I went into our first class together and we took two bikes near the trash barrell just in case we threw up, LOL!!! No kidding! We didn't throw up, but we sure felt like we could have. We stuck with it and we are addicted! We started spinning twice a week and now we are up to three classes a week and may add a fourth. For me, spinnign has been a huge reason for my thighs slimming so quickly. I carry all my weight in my lower half.....I can tell you I went from a firm size 10 to a 4/6 in 9 weeks!!!! it totally works you out and it's ok to be scared to go into your irst class, but aren't you worth it? We look at it as a challenge and we try and challenge each other each week......amazing results!

Go for it!
  • margaritagirl76
    margaritagirl76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ok people i need your opinion .. i took spinning i felt like i was going to die after 10 minutes, i felt dizzy and got off the bike.. and then after 10 minutes i felt better and i returned to the class... I have to say it was really hard since im a beginner but everybody is telling me different things.. like i shouldnt eat before the class.. i should eat carbs at lunch.. since i went at night.. after the class i felt like i was going to throw up.. so i dont want to through that again what is your opinions
  • ebster
    ebster Posts: 3
    Options
    I love love love spinning. I went from being pretty inactive to spinning 4-5 times weeks. It certainly is addictive but you get an awesome workout. Plus, the instructors at my gym got the full 60minutes!