Study: Organic food turns people into jerks

Options
Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2012/05/18/study-organic-food-turns-people-into-jerks/

I just had to laugh. I can actually see people acting like this
Ever feel judged when you bring some non-organic, foreign-grown, out-of-season melon to a potluck, or forget your reusable bag?

Msnbc has this funny anecdote from a woman trying to buy a fruit platter from a snobby organic produce guy in Seattle:

And he was like, ‘If you want fruit platters, go to Safeway. We’re organic.’ I finally bought a small cake and some strawberries and then at the check stand, the guy was like ‘You didn’t bring your own bag? I need to charge you if you didn’t bring your own bag.’ It was like a ‘Portlandia’ skit. They were so snotty and arrogant.

Her story underscored a new study that found that exposure to organic foods correlated with higher levels of self-righteousness. Researchers at Loyola University in New Orleans divided people into groups, and showed people organic foods and others at non-organic and comfort foods.

Test subjects were later surveyed on moral situations and how much time they would volunteer to help a needy stranger.

The organic group was more judgmental and less likely to help out, researchers found. The study was published this week in the journal Social Psychological & Personality Science.

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious, thank you. I was actually thinking of Portlandia before I even read it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    south-park_thaaannks.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    *snort*

I have nothing useful to add.. just lulz.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    haha
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Haha. Everyone's got something tho...I personally can't stand when people buy non-American cars haha.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    south-park_thaaannks.jpg

Ahahahahaha. Yep.
  • mtarika
    mtarika Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before too! I was in Whole Foods and they asked me if I had my reusable bags with me. I said, no, I forgot them in the car and the cashier said they would wait for me to go get them. I couldn't believe they were going to hold up the entire line for me to go get my bags.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I think I wet my pants. LOL
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This is really funny.

Where I live....it is rare to find a restaurant, especially I new one, not touting where the food comes from.

Typical menu quote "we use local, sustainable seasonal organic produce whenever possible." And then the meat, cheese, milk and eggs are credited to the farm. And sometimes the produce as well.

After a while it starts to seem "normal."
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    bump
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The big question is...does organic food turn people into jerks or do jerks buy organic food?

*full disclosure - I am one of those organic buying jerks*
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Buahahaha! Why does this not surprise... But I wonder if that's just not a Northwestern thing... Or maybe just a Northern thing... but then again if I buy organic at all, I buy it from the local grocery store because I'm too lazy (and cheap... can't forget cheap) to go to Whole Foods (seeing as it's all the way across town) so I don't see all the jerkiness.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is when people are all uppity about their all organic diet when they're eating organic junk food (chips and cookies and such) and gaining weight without understanding why. :huh:

(I do admit to eating some organic foods and I'd probably eat a lot more if it was more convenient and money wasn't an issue.)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Buahahaha! Why does this not surprise... But I wonder if that's just not a Northwestern thing... Or maybe just a Northern thing... but then again if I buy organic at all, I buy it from the local grocery store because I'm too lazy (and cheap... can't forget cheap) to go to Whole Foods (seeing as it's all the way across town) so I don't see all the jerkiness.

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I live about five minutes drive from Portland. That kind of behavior is rapid here.