Traveling and weigtht loss don't mix

Options
Getting ready to go on the road for three weeks...going to be really tough trying to lose weight while eating out multiple times a day...wish me luck!!!!! And I would welcome any new friends and additional support to help me through it!! :)

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

Will you be driving? Or flying? Fruits or nuts (though be careful there, some people have serious nut allergies!) are easy to take on planes and to eat. Try making your own trail mix of sorts if nuts are not allowed using plain white popcorn, maybe toss in some raisins, some dry cereal like Cheerios, little Goldfish crackers, etc.

Staying in hotels?

Hopefully you can find a hotel and a room with a mini fridge and if possible make a quick trip to whatever grocery store is closest to your hotel *for fruits and vegetables, yogurts, tortillas and lunch meat like Turkey (just watch sodium).

If you are traveling by car, pack some coolers and just pick up the ice or more ice when needed. Most fruits and vegetables don't need to be kept terribly cold (of course if it's going to be 100 degree somewhere, obviously) but apples, oranges, bananas, travel easily. Ok, the oranges would be messy to eat on the go. Nix that. Pack yogurts, cheese sticks, rice cakes, dry cereal (pre-portioned out in baggies or containers).
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I totally understand you on this one. I travel so much for work, and it is a huge challenge to keep up with my evening workouts and especially to eat right when I don't have my kitchen and the ability to cook for myself.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I travel frequently for work so I can appreciate the added challenges. But it's not a lost cause. All the above suggestions are great-I often visit a local grocery store and stock up on apples, bananas and stuff that doesn't require refrigeration for short-term. I also do my best to eat meals at restaurants that post nutrition information online-that way I can make the best choices possible and have a reasonable idea of the calorie counts. If that's not possible, I make the best choice I can (grilled fish rather than chicken parm) and move on. On the exercise front, many hotels (or their employees) can give you local running/walking routes or trails. If not, I will just use the hotel gym-but I've had some beautiful sights while going for a run while away on business.

Good luck! You can make it work.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Traveling does make it more difficult to stay on track, but it can be done. When I'm on the road for work I go online before going out to eat, and find a restaurant that has nutrition info. I write down my healthy choice on a little slip of paper and bring it with me to the restaurant and I order only that, no excuses. Sometimes my hunger will try and sway me for a less healthy option (especially after a long day of meetings and not even getting to the restaurant until 9 pm), but having that little paper reminds me why it's important.

I find the worst ting for me when traveling is if I let myself get too hungry, then I pig out. So like the other posters suggested, bringing healthy snacks along will help you make better decisions.

Finally, if you have control over where you stay (I know with companies you don't) try and find hotels that have gyms or swimming pools. If not, just bring some running clothes and take a walk or run around the area. On foot is the best way to explore a new city anyways!
  • happyfitgirl
    happyfitgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also travel frequently for work. Here are my small tips that helps:
    - Don't do the breakfast buffet. It's usually not high quality and not worth the calories. I pack protein bars.
    - I limit my coffee/creamer intake to one skinny latte at Starbucks per morning. Sometimes before when I was tired I would have several cups of coffee with sugar and creamer throughout the day and that just dehydrates you and adds calories!
    - Drink tons of water, I pack a refillable bottle in my suitcase and take with me so I can fill up without having to pay for bottled water.
    - I pack my scale with me on my trips and weigh myself everyday, if I didn't I could easily gain 10lbs in one trip. When I take my scale I tend to maintain or only gain a few pounds.
    - I also look up nutrition info before I go to restaurants and try to stick with the low cal options (easier said than done!)
    - My last tip is not to consume too much alcohol, this is usually what adds a ton of calories because of all the networking receptions/client dinners it seems that would be a key for me to cut calories. I'm a fan of red wine... :)

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated! I struggle just to maintain during each trip!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Over the last year I have started to travel with my job more often (up to once a month from once a quarter) luckily always to the same location so I have learned a few tricks! use those folks at the front desk! i have found my best source of information comes from just asking - where is a great place to walk (can I walk after dark)? any gym's close by or in the hotel? park your own car and take the stairs! where is a nice soup and salad place? my regular place has a great local organic salad shop right around the corner, if I hadn't ask i wouldn't have known! one poster said don't do breakfast, but I seem to do better if I do eat breakfast - whatever they may have, keeps me from the crap they offer at my meetings or cookies, chips, soda and helps my sugar from crashing when I am not sure when or where I will get my next meal. i even have one hotel that will have a DVD player set up in your room for a quick workout DVD if needed!