Elliptical vs Treadmill

Options
hannz33
hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
Hello! Need some gym advice...

Does the elliptical trainer give as good a workout as a treadmill? I'm not that fit and really not a runner, but I've been pushing myself at the gym and I've been running 5km on the elliptical machine 5 times a week. It takes me 30 minutes to do 5km and by the end of it I am pretty tired - but I can do it! When I try running on the treadmill I could only run for about 3 minutes - I would never make it to half an hour! Does this mean the elliptical isn't doing as much for me as the treadmill?

I also find the treadmill really hard on my legs - I get pains in my shins and on the front of my legs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think it is more of a different type of movement and running is more strenuous on the body, especially if you are currently overweight, IMO.

If you aren't already, try doing the hills and intervals on the elliptical to give yourself more of a challenge.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Obviously a person essentially takes more of a beating on the treadmill than the eliptical, but I think you're fine either way. Truth be told, I can run a half marathon, but put me on an eliptical for 20 minutes and I could die! :ohwell: It's just what your body is conditioned to. You can use the treadmill, just work your way up. Don't feel defeated by it, take it as a challenge and keep working at it if you do want to start running regularly.

Another thing to consider is your heart rate. Do you have the eliptical at an easy setting, are you raising your heart rate as much as your would running?
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical. I sold my treadmill at my garage sale.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can get an equally good workout on both; my advice would be to invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't have one that way you know how hard you're working on each of the two and you can tweak the speeds and inclines. You don't have to run if you don't enjoy it, since you want working out to be something that you look forward to instead of dreading it, but I would find another way to crosstrain since your body will adapt to using the elliptical overtime; maybe you could check out the stepmill or some fitness classes? I hope this helps :)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    The first time I ever tried to lose weight, I did it on an elliptical! I love those things SO MUCH =) I like it because I don't really like running all that much. I have a treadmill now and so far so good. I guess it is all about what you perfer. =)
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Elliptical!! If I'm walking, I'd much rather be outside than stuck on a treadmill.
  • lauren128m
    lauren128m Posts: 75
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because it's easier on the knees. I tend to burn more calories on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill because I can last longer than I can on the treadmill.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    The first time I ever tried to lose weight, I did it on an elliptical! I love those things SO MUCH =) I like it because I don't really like running all that much. I have a treadmill now and so far so good. I guess it is all about what you perfer. =)

The first time I tried, I did lose =) didn't learn to keep it off.
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice! Yeah I guess I don't want to let myself get used to the elliptical. As soon as it gets easy I know I'm not going hard enough ;) Might try alternating between elliptical and treadmill. I'm trying to build up to being able to run properly - like outside! Hehe
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My personal preference is elliptical. I use my treadmill at home only in the winter or if neccesary for a warm up before weights. My DH could not do the elliptical motion so we still will have treadmill. I can use the awesome elliptical at the gym. My view, DO SOMETHING and MIX IT UP.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I could go either way, but the elliptical isn't so nice to me...especially on my hips.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you get a better workout with the eliptical than the treadmill.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think I prefer the treadmill ...I did 5 minutes this morning on an Elliptical and it super killed my right knee..
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill simply because even though running is harder for me, it works me out a lot more and it trains me to run outside and not be dependent on a machine. If I'm in a place where no gym is available and all I can do is the elliptical, I'm screwed! I started with running for 5 or so minutes really slow (like 5.0), and walking for 15, then each day trying to run a minute more (within the 20 minute block) so now I can run for 20 minutes in a row. It ain't pretty lol but I can do it. I want to work up to running for longer and longer, and now I have the confidence to do it.

And my shins used to hurt quite a bit from running, but I think it was because I was landing hard on my heel while running, now I try to land more evenly on my toes and I hardly ever experience pain.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    I am just the opposit, I am able to walk 3 miles in 57 minutes on the treadmill, however I can't last 5 minutes on the Elliptical.
  • AngelTwin27
    AngelTwin27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree that the Elliptical is better on the knees! It is zero impact on the body, but still a great workout!

I get a better burn out of the Elliptical, especially when I increase the resistance level.

I have a Heart Rate Monitor and can see that I'm working harder on the Elliptical without feeling like I'm working super hard, if that makes sense?

I do mix up my workouts though and do time on the Treadmill as well with interval running on an incline, but it's so much harder on the body in general!

I did the C25K programme a couple of years ago and enjoyed the running, but my knees had other ideas! I don't tend to run as much these days, but being a lot lighter now, I can run more if I choose to.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For me, I like changing it up: one day elliptical, the other treadmill, third rowing machine, fourth wave... the only one I really avoid because it kills me every time is the bike. Yuck.

Though that's precisely why I should bike more... if it drains you, you know you're working out;)
  • cmbosarge
    cmbosarge Posts: 3
    Options
    Like what everyone else is saying it is really what kind of conditioning your body is use to... from my personal experience I have found that it takes longer for me to break a sweat on the elliptical because it is what I am use to. I also hate running but have been working on getting better slowly (I want to run a half marathon soon) and have found that I get tired from running on a treadmill a whole lot quicker.

As for the pain in your shins in might be your shoes are not giving you enough support while running, on a treadmill, so your shins are absorbing more of the impact. I found that if I use a good shoe made for running it works for all my workouts especially if I decide to run.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the Eliptical than walking on the treadmill. If I run on the treadmill the entire time I will burn more. I do both at the gym. I do 25 min Eliptical and 25 min run.

It is all on you.

Julianne