Calories...

Sigh... I know its been discussed.
I started out doing 1200/day and I want to bump up to get me thru this plateau.
I find I am often STRUGGLING HARD to hit 1200 calories- even on workout days.
Any suggestions on sneaking in more calories and where can I find the Eat more weigh less group?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Nuts, avocados, full fat instead of low/fat free...
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    not trying to be rude or anything, but these posts always baffle me. I have NO problem getting enough calories in! LOL. I mean, if you have a hard time eating 1200 calories, then how did you get overweight? It is just all very confusing to me.

At any rate - Chicken breasts, steak, peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  • cindylou617
    cindylou617 Posts: 51 Member
    Just because you preface a statement with 'not to be rude or anything' doesn't make it any less rude/sh*tty.
    You have a great day!
  • try adding more fruits veggies or whole grains or just have some healthy snacks between meals
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Just curious why you think eating more will break a plateau?
  • GauchoMark
    I really wasn't trying to be... I was actually looking for some feedback - like are you vegetarian or what ARE you eating. It just doesn't make sense to me, since 1200 calories is such a low goal. In other words, tell us what your obstacle is.

Example:
    4 oz cooked chicken breast - 206 cal, 0g carbs/39g protein/4g fat
    1 medium baked potato - 281 cal, 63g carb/6g protein/0g fat
    1 tbsp butter - 102 cal 0g0g/12g
    Side salad - ~80-90 cal 5g/5g/5g

total for 1 decent meal (these are not huge portions) = 669 calories. 68g carbs/50g protein/21g fat.

Like I said, I don't understand the problem, so enlighten me. Otherwise, if you don't REALLY want help and just want to complain and get sensitive, feel free.
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    You could try making shakes with protein powder. Usually 2 scoops is about 300 calories. Use whole milk, add peanut butter and banana, and the calories add up pretty quickly!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    not trying to be rude or anything, but these posts always baffle me. I have NO problem getting enough calories in! LOL. I mean, if you have a hard time eating 1200 calories, then how did you get overweight? It is just all very confusing to me.
    Not everyone gains weight by gorging themselves. If you're eating unhealthy foods that are 300 calories per ounce and then switch to vegetables instead, you are going to drastically reduce your caloric intake unless you also increase your portion sizes. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean that they eat a massive volume of food; it could just be that they're eating the wrong things.
  • GauchoMark
    Not everyone gains weight by gorging themselves. If you're eating unhealthy foods that are 300 calories per ounce and then switch to vegetables instead, you are going to drastically reduce your caloric intake unless you also increase your portion sizes. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean that they eat a massive volume of food; it could just be that they're eating the wrong things.

my point exactly. I never said she was gorging. Aside from a health problem, there are basically two ways to get overweight - eat to much or eat the wrong things (or both). Since she stated she has a hard time eating 1200 calories, I think it is safe to say she isn't a "gorger" and thus has already addressed the high caloric content foods. Therefore, she must know what foods are high in calories already. Additionally, she is a nurse, so while not the same as a nutritionist, it isn't like she hasn't had any type of basic training before.
  • cindylou617

my point exactly. I never said she was gorging. Aside from a health problem, there are basically two ways to get overweight - eat to much or eat the wrong things (or both). Since she stated she has a hard time eating 1200 calories, I think it is safe to say she isn't a "gorger" and thus has already addressed the high caloric content foods. Therefore, she must know what foods are high in calories already. Additionally, she is a nurse, so while not the same as a nutritionist, it isn't like she hasn't had any type of basic training before.
    I have a health issue and was a binge eater. Feck..I just admitted that in pub uh lick. Anyway my pain got to be unbearable and I decided to act right foodwise. Capeesh?
  • GauchoMark
    Well, I'm glad you are working on it and hope you are able to overcome it. So, are you having a hard time eating the 1200 calories because you are afraid you'll start binging again or is there some other issue that is keeping you from eating your goal?

as far as the public thing goes - pretty much everyone on this site has or had an eating disorder of some kind or else we would be doing WAY more fun stuff on the internet! Also, all I know is you are Cindy Lou, which may not even be your real name, and besides, the only Cindy Lou I know is Cindy Lou Who!
  • I have definitely had days were I came in way under my calorie goal. Not every day, but it happens. A couple times I was nearly 500 under! I was so busy throughout the day I forgot to eat.

I recommend deliberate eating. Set a timer to remind you that you need a snack, maybe 2 hours from your last meal, and have a small, healthy one filled with good fats.
  • cindylou617
    Well, I'm glad you are working on it and hope you are able to overcome it. So, are you having a hard time eating the 1200 calories because you are afraid you'll start binging again or is there some other issue that is keeping you from eating your goal?

as far as the public thing goes - pretty much everyone on this site has or had an eating disorder of some kind or else we would be doing WAY more fun stuff on the internet! Also, all I know is you are Cindy Lou, which may not even be your real name, and besides, the only Cindy Lou I know is Cindy Lou Who!

I am just not hungry... possible that I may be afraid to eat crappily again. But that hadn't crossed my mind.
  • GauchoMark
    well, I can't really give you any helpful advise about the binging thing or possibly being afraid to eat because of it, as I have zero experience there.

However, maybe when you DO feel like eating, make the most of it and eat things higher in caloric content? I personally eat very little red meat (history of gout and just don't like it much anymore), but in your case, lean beef and pork may be a good thing since they tend to have a little more calories and really are a good source of protein.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    I try to focus on intentional eating. For me, this means measuring out portions and thinking of how to maximize the calories I have. I second the recommendation for avocados and dense, good fats - those will help you boost calories without too much trouble. Adding a morning/afternoon/ evening snack will also help. Try planning out your eating the day before and then treat it as a plan. I hope this helps! You can do it!
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    PS: for vegetarian options - try full fat cottage cheese or a few ounces of hard cheese, yum!