Doin a push up!

Options
I can't one. I'll push up and go down then when I try to go back up. Everything falls!

Replies

• ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    try not to relax.. flex your glutes, and squeeze your abs like you're about to get punched... now try the push ups again...
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try working your way up by doing the ones where your knees stay on the ground.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what ster said and also try to visualize floating up using your abs. believe it or not, alot of strength from push ups comes from a strong tight core
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can't do them on the floor either...but I desire to so much. I do wall push-ups every day, and I just keep trying the floor ones. Someday I hope I can do them!!
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I could barely do any 7 mths ago..

Build your numbers up on your knees.. No rush to get to your toes..

I can do over 50 per minute on my toes now when I'm doing fitness evaluations and I'm a GIRL!

Knackered at the end but such a good feeling to know how far you have come..

Keep at it!
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can only do about 10 with my knees on the floor. I started with one and couldn't get back up. Keep at it.
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    www.hundredpushups.com

ive used it and done 100 push ups often....
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I can't even do them on my knees, but I'm taking the advice of my husband and starting with wall pushups and then slowly move closer to the floor . Hopefully this will help.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    NEVER BE AFRAID TO FAIL! IF YOU NEVER FAIL HOW WILL YOU MAKE ANY GOALS ;-)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to do my push ups on an incline, rather than on my knees, since I feel like it gets my abs and back working harder. So, maybe try having your hands on a bench, or on a step. Kind of like what the person said about wall push ups. Then as you get stronger, work toward a smaller angle from the floor, then finally regular floor push ups.
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do wall psuh ups...im slowly working my way to the floor, I can do them on my knees just fine, but I do notice that my right arm always seems to be a bit stronger so it does the most of the work when I do a push up, Im trying to get that to even out....we shall see!!!!!!!!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started with wall push ups then moved to having most of my body on a yoga ball. Then I moved to my knees. I still can't do a normal one with good form - one day.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Chair push ups is where I started. After a while I would get a deck of cards. Each card pulled is the number of push ups you have to do. After a while you are just praying for a 2 instead of an ace (which is 11).
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    I recently did my first push ups since HS back in the early 80's. Keep on working, and you'll get there.
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with upper body strength & alot is to do with your core. so do core strengthening exercises as well, it will definately help. I can do "real" pushups... about 20 odd before I crash lol but not in good form, so my PT has had me go back to girly ones on the knees so that I can improve my form & get the chest lower... If you have stairs or an aerobic step try doing incline push ups as well (not as far to the floor), I found these helped as well. Stick with it, you will get there!!
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started on my knees a couple of weeks ago but today I did my first big girl push ups..lol