Any vegan or lacto-ovo success stories?

Options
hemlock2010
hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
I'm leaning toward cutting out meat (for health reasons but also because the more I know about how meat is produced in the US the yuckier it seems), but all my weight loss so far has been achieved by eating a lot more protein and a loss less carbs. I'd like to hear success stories from people who eat little or no meat.

Thanks!

Replies

• alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've lost tremendous weight so far (other health issues have kept me at the same size for a while), but have been vegetarian for several decades and can mention some great sources of protein for you: quorn roasts, made of mushroom protein and egg white protein, very satisfying, and many kinds of sprouts have 35% protein and more (look them up for detail), and if you like burgers, lightlife brand tastes and feels good and satisfying. I generally make something every week that I call a 'hobo stew' out of whatever is around, like quorn roast, organic vegetables, soup or sauce or whatever, and put in quinoa or lentils, and they always come out really rich and tasty, and can be eaten alone or with whatever you want. I hope this is some help to you--
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 pounds when I went back to college and started being vegan last year. I was already pretty lean-- I'm 5'8" and weighed 130, and I got down to 122 pounds, which was almost too thin for me. About midway through the year I went back to being vegetarian (and ate more desserts as a result), and I went back up to 130, where I am now. This is still a healthy weight for me, but I'm going vegan again this summer to make cutting calories a little easier so I can lose maybe 5 more pounds.

You can gain or lose weight on a vegan diet, but it definitely gives you an excuse to refuse food, especially in social situations, without having to explicitly say that you are on a diet.

Veganism is also morally in line with my values since I'm an animal lover, and a lot of dairy cows and laying hens are abused badly and victims of a mass production system. So I say go vegan!! Eat more nuts and fall in love with seitan (the meatiest meat substitute out there--it's really delicious if you prepare it well.) Then you'll be good on the protein front and the weight will probably fall off!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've been able to go off of two medications since becoming vegan. There's just something about it that works for me.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well, I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian in November, and since then, I have lost over 30 pounds. I did restrict calories to lose weight, of course, but I found that I never had to go hungry because I could eat a lot more fruits and veggies to meet my calorie goal. So yes, it can be done. I like the way I feel eating a plant based diet. It's easy to tell how good I feel after splurging on a highly processed (albeit meat-free) Mexican dinner on Cinco de Mayo. It was definitely NOT worth it.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and I've lost 20 lbs. I love being a vegetarian and can't imagine going back. My doctor says I'm the healthiest she's ever seen me. Normal blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate, and BMI.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • VanadiumOxide
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've been lacto-ovo for years now and have been losing weight. There are good veg sources of protein - beans, for example, or eggs for non-vegans. Carbs are a problem for most Americans, I think, but they can be a food trap for vegetarians as well (I used to call myself a carbatarian), but I think everything in moderation is fine. You can definitely manage a healthy lifestyle that includes weight loss without eating meat. I eat egg beaters or Greek yogurt for breakfast most days and eat a meal that includes beans & legumes, tofu, or tempeh most days for lunch and dinner. Lots of fruits and veggies help too, of course, as do very complex carbohydrates such as sprouted bread.
  • mrf330
    mrf330 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been vegan for almost a year now. I've lost weight, but have only just joined this site.

I was concerned about getting enough protein when I went vegan, but find it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. There are a lot of vegan protein options, and I'd say the best bet is to look at a list and try different options to find ones you like and can incorporate into your eating.

Regular protein sources include whole grains, legumes, soy products (tofu, milk, tempeh, etc), nut,s and nut butters.

There are a lot of websites with information on vegan sources of protein (and other nutrients). This one has a quick list for you.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25-vegan-sources-for-protein.html?page=3 (I have no affiliation with the site).

Good luck.
  • SuccessThisTime
    SuccessThisTime Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would definitely encourage you to give up meat and go the plant based (or plant strong) route. A good website for health and other information is: fok.com which stands for "forks over knives", which is a documentary that was made last year. Very informative and interesting.

I went vegan a few years ago, and recently just lost 10 lbs. in the last few months. It's been kind of slow for me, but I tend to have a slower metabolism. If you stick to the good carbs--fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, etc., it shouldn't make that much of a difference in your weight loss, and the health benefits are tremendous. I've never felt better!

Best of luck and congrats for taking charge of your health in such a positive way!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!