moderatly Low Carbers-please help!

Options
So i was told to try going with less than 100g of carbs daily, and over 100 g of protein daily. Im not seeing the scale move... I'm eating about 1400 cal a day, and want to lose about 55 lbs. Can any experts please chime in?? MUCH appreciated!

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    open your diary up girl!
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Less carbs
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Open! Open! Open!!! :bigsmile:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    So i was told to try going with less than 100g of carbs daily, and over 100 g of protein daily. Im not seeing the scale move... I'm eating about 1400 cal a day, and want to lose about 55 lbs. Can any experts please chime in?? MUCH appreciated!

Told by who?

Not everyone needs to do low carb. Not everyone will do well on low carb. It might not be for you.

Us 1400 calories a day before or after your workouts? What is your BMR?

Open your diary.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Need the diary open to see. If you are at 100g carbs that should be okay, maybe 75g initially.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    How long have you tried this for?-
  • degausspdx
    degausspdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Indeed, less carbs. 100 is fairly high. Moderate low carb would be less than 50g carb a day. Full blown low carb induction is less than 20, phase 2 is no more than 30 with maintenence being in the 40-50 range depending on your tolerance and activity level.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs between 50 - 75 daily. And thats having an ice cream cone nightly. Dont worry if your protein is 100 or over as long as its increased above your daily goal. Give it some time.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How long have you tried this for?-

^ This is an important question. Additionally, I'm not sure how people are making specific suggestions about intake values without knowing specifics about the OP's stats and activity.
  • Ash6772
    Ash6772 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, I opened up my diary!! Ive been doing this about 2 weeks, and have only seen a 0.5 lb drop. My DR recommended it for me because i have PCOS, therefore am insulin resistant. except for one meal, the only carbs i am eating are only from my fruits and veggies, or whole grain items
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I think you should be shooting for half the carbs you currently consume. I'm on Atkins Induction now and am netting < 20 carbs a day. You'll want more than that, so probably 40-60 carbs a day.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i can't see your fiber intake, but fiber is a very important part because it carries toxins (and fats) out of the body. to me, your diary looks too protein-heavy and possibly the wrong-kind-of-carb heavy (ie: bread of any sort vs. a whole food)

your numbers look good for your goal (as in low carbs / high protein) but that may not be a suitable option for keeping weight off, so if it were me, I would consider adding in complex carbs and removing anything processed for a while.

"carb" is a really blanket statement, you know?

best of luck. i hope that helped.

edit: you could probably add some strength training to boost your metabolism, too.
  • Ash6772
    Ash6772 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    k, so it looks like my best bet is to cut my carbs in half and see where that goes. Do you think my 1400 calories is suffient? Im recovering from surgery right now, so the only activity i can do is a little walking here and there. I plan on starting bike riding and running as soon as i get the ok!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would consider going no grain, which can help PCOS from what I have read. Google "paleo and PCOS" and see if you get any information that would help you.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    those kinds of questions are best asked to your doctor; i have no idea what kind of medication or physical condition you are in. just remember that "carb" is a real blanket statement that covers an enormous range of foods. my philosophy has been to stay away from barcodes as much as possible (and it's not always).

bests!
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have Insulin resistance and it is hard to lose weight. What I found works for me personally is eating between 50-100g carbs per day but the doctors have actually told me that a mixture of cardo (even walking) and lifting weights is very good for insulin resistance as it increases insulin sensitivity.

I usually go to the gym 3 times a week and lift weights (not heavy, not yet anyway!) and I can notice a difference already.

http://voices.yahoo.com/can-lifting-weights-fight-off-insulin-8886499.html
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If your doctor suggested 100 carbs, I would stick with that a little longer What you are doing is what I do, except I eat more calories....but I also exercise. And I have lost weight doing that.

You said you just had surgery too...I have no scientific data for this, but I think that your body needs to recover a little more before you can really worry about weight loss. Maybe give it more time and reassess it later.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    PCOS - you may need to go lower than 100 to lose because of the insulin resistance. My friend who has that struggles a lot with her weight. The fact that you are not gaining is fantastic.

Personally, I am doing about 100 g carbs to maintain and also having a 'cheat day' one day per week. I stay away from those low-carb shakes and bars because I always gain weight on them. Everyone is different.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and have done really well on 75 net or less per day. I do try to 50 but don't make that too often. I get all mine mostly from veggies with occasional fruit and a corn tortilla sometimes. No grains, no breads, very little pasta (and only CarbaNada when I do).

I didn't look at your diary but make sure you spread the protein out throughout the day. My Dr. also does not allow me to have more than 5 carbs before noon. Dunno if that is what has helped me or not. That part is really restrictive but since I don't know if that is what has gotten me this far I don't stray from it.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am keeping my carbs below 50. Feel free to look at my diary for some ideas.
    After 2 weeks, I am reintroducing fruit into my day. a little at a time. I have Fibromyalgia and I find that
    cutting it down so drastically is working for me.

Good luck
    Debbie