Yogurt help please

Options
I'm a newbie to this whole eating healthier lifestyle and though I love it I tend to get confused with certain food items (silly, I know!)

Recently I've come to realize I really REALLY don't like greek yogurt even though it's super good for you. Do any of you have suggestions on what kind of yogurt I should be buying since Greek is O-U-T?! I am assuming low-fat plain is probably my best bet at this point....right?! Thanks in advance for the help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• brianna_bananas
    Options
    i didnt like greek yogurt either until my mom showed me i needed to sweeten it up.. i usually cut up strawberries or throw in grapes and add one or a half packet of stevia ..its so bomb thats how i eat yogurt now.. the other stuff like low-fat plain has a ton of fake sugar and little protein.. also maybe try throwing it into an all fruit smoothie.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    So whats the difference between low fat plain and low fat Greek ? The Greek tastes a bit richer to me but i think the both taste about similar
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate greek yogurt as well except for the chobani fruit flavored kind. The strawberry banana and pineapple are my faves. Blueberry is also awesome. Try those and if you still hate greek yogurt then I recommend Yoplait.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    if you don't like yogurt, don't eat it, but if you like regular, non-Greek yogurt, then I have suggestions:

Full fat yogurt is very good for you and tastes better than the low fat stuff

Stick with plain yogurt and add your own sweetener.

My favorite yogurt "recipe:" 1 cup of Stonyfield full fat plain organic yogurt, 1 tablespoon raw honey, 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.

If you truly don't like yogurt, but want the benefit of the probiotics try kombucha or fermented vegetables.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I cant stand greek yogurt. I have tried several ways to play it up and still can not stomach it. My favorite yogurt is Krogers Carbmaster. Any flavor. My fav is the vanilla chai!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try this, 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/3 cup dry oats, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Its like those delicious yocrunch thingies without all the extra sugar and other crap thats bad for you. If you still can't tolerate greel yogurt get regular plain fat free yogurt and add your flavoring. The kind thats already flvored is usually loaded with sugar.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I LOVE Yoplait Light! =) Greek yogurt looks gross to me and I don't want to try it! =( I don't like plain.. my favorite is strawberry =) Activia is pretty good for you too
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i'm the opposite..i didnt like yogurt until i started eating greek yogurt ..i prefer plain nonfat because i get plenty of fat in my other foods i eat. i been using a 1/2 cup of frozen black cherries thawed out a bit and sometimes add slivered almonds its become a favorite snack of mine ..your better off adding your own thing to any yogurt as opposed to the processed ingrediants they put in..everything in moderation of course so if you have the high carb yogurt just document it is all
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Someone finally said it!! Thanks! Greek yogurt is icky and has the same texture as sour cream. I even tried the chobani for kids but found it equally foul. If you have Publix where you live, their store brand Creamy Blends are yummy. Toss in some fresh berries TDF.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try Brown Cow or Stonyfield yogurt. Stonyfield has a white chocolate and raspberry that I consider a good dessert. Brown Cow vanilla is DELICIOUS with strawberries.
  • apena_06
    apena_06 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I've tried to dress up the Greek yogurt and I still hate it! I think it's the look and texture of it. I'm going to try some plain yogurt with fresh fruits and granola. Sadly I'm allergic to strawberries so I can't add them in :-( thanks everyone!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am one of the people who cannot stand greek yogurt. I've tried a bunch of different flavors and brands, and I just can't eat it. I am trying to eat some right now, because my sister swore to me that the apple cinnamon Chobani was amazing - but I think it is GROSS.
    I don't like the weird aftertaste that greek yogurt leaves in your mouth - it has a weird consistency, and it needs to be sweetened. I don't like the taste of artificial sweetener from a packet, plus that still wouldn't help me with the consistency issues. I just drank a whole bottle of water and I still can't get the weird taste out of my mouth - it leaves a weird coating on your tongue or something.

I really like the Yoplait light yogurts - especially the red velvet cake, devil's food cake and the banana. I'll take regular yogurt over Greek yogurt ANY day.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon Light and Fit yogurts. Yoplait Lights are too sweet for my taste.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The bad thing about most yogurt is the sugar levels if there is flavoring added to it. If you are near a Krogers store they have a "Carbmaster" brand with a lot of great flavors; the protein level is midway between regular yogurt and Greek and the sugar content is actually less than the protein.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Try the fage fruit greek yogurts. There is a separate little cup of fruit you pour into the yogurt and stir it and it is seriously the most delicious food--it's like dessert to me.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I like Dannon Light and Fit yogurts. Yoplait Lights are too sweet for my taste.
    exactly why I like them! I know they are higher in sugar, which is why I only eat yogurt once, maybe twice per week.
  • faya195
    faya195 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat *any* yoghurt until about a year ago. I tried low fat natural yoghurt and Greek yoghurt and didn't like the Greek version at all. The low fat natural was also not an instant favourite of mine but by adding fresh fruit and sweetener, I got used to it and now like it. I've been reducing the amount of sweetener I add to the yoghurt and hope to have "weaned" myself off them completely before the end of the year. Maybe I'll try Greek yoghurt again once I've achieved that but for now I'm already very happy to be eating (and enjoying!) any yoghurt at all.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I loved yogurt..until I read the nutrition label. Too much sugar and fake stuff.

Greek yogurt has almost twice the protein as regular yogurt, that's the health benefit.

So I bought Greek yogurt, yes, the texture is weird. So I stirred it really really REALLY well, added wildflower honey (clover honey is gross), and topped it with blueberries. It was delicious, smooth, and creamy. Sometimes I also add Natures Path Organic Pumpkin Flax Granola.

My favorite brands are Fage and the Kirkland Signature (Costco) brands. Greek yogurt also keeps me fuller longer than regular yogurt (thanks to the high protein content).

EDIT: yes, I buy the plain non-fat kind.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I have both Chobani apple cinnamon fat free yogurt and Yoplait fat free apple turnover yogurt in my fridge at home (both 6 oz containers). People keep saying that the Yoplait is higher in sugar, but you are wrong.
    The yoplait has 5 less grams of sugar than the Chobani - and the yoplait tastes sweeter.
    There may be other health benefits of the Chobani (more protein), but if the Yoplait tastes better and is lower sugar, I'd rather eat that and get my protein from other sources.
  • dolphinmom23
    dolphinmom23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm the opposite..i didnt like yogurt until i started eating greek yogurt ..i prefer plain nonfat because i get plenty of fat in my other foods i eat. i been using a 1/2 cup of frozen black cherries thawed out a bit and sometimes add slivered almonds its become a favorite snack of mine ..your better off adding your own thing to any yogurt as opposed to the processed ingrediants they put in..everything in moderation of course so if you have the high carb yogurt just document it is all

Same here! I love the texture and richness, was not much of a yogurt fan before. I enjoy The Greek Gods plain the most. A little sweetner and cinnamon is nice. I also us it in place of sour cream. You can add chopped chives, toss in different spices/herbes and make really yummy dip for veggies. So maybe if you don't like it sweet this would be an alternative.