putting your mind at rest.

Options
BeckiCharlotte13x
BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
I'm sure it's something we have all experienced. You know when, it's late, you're tired but you can't sleep and you lay in bed thinking about things. Then all of a sudden you find your mind is in overdrive and you can't get these thoughts out of your head. I have something which gets to me all the time, but its not something I can fix easily, so wiping the stress out isn't an option...

What do you people do when this happens to you to try and ease the thoughts and put your mind at rest?

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's something we have all experienced. You know when, it's late, you're tired but you can't sleep and you lay in bed thinking about things. Then all of a sudden you find your mind is in overdrive and you can't get these thoughts out of your head. I have something which gets to me all the time, but its not something I can fix easily, so wiping the stress out isn't an option...

What do you people do when this happens to you to try and ease the thoughts and put your mind at rest?

Well, there's the honest answer, the conditional answer, and the PC answer.

The honest answer I'm not saying lol. The conditional answer is that if I have a significant other, I confide in them and share the burden. If they ARE the burden, I resort to the honest answer (it's a temporary fix!), preferably with them.

The PC answer would probably be something like 'Think about the good in my life, and how much worse things could possibly be...then count sheep'.

I know that wasn't very helpful hun, but maybe it made you smile some, which is to the good, right?
  • tawny2727
    tawny2727 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I either play a game on my phone (like 'wheel of fortune"), pray, or read :) I'm out in 10 minutes :)
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    get up and take me a nice hot bath! that normally helps out...or a cold shower!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    ....Ambien....
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    ....Ambien....

Hush girl! I know for a fact you're guilty of BOTH the honest answer, AND the conditional answer :)

/hug!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I usually focus on slowed breathing, mentally repeating "in" or "out" with each part of the cycle. I'll also try to find patterns in the play of light behind my closed eyelids; kind of like watching clouds drift across the sky. Between those 2 things, I am conked out in short order.
  • lucky3324
    lucky3324 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I turn on music.. it destracts me from my thoughts and Im out like a light!!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    *stage whisper*

Shhhh...I think she fell asleep...!
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    yoga! works like a charm, especially the three minute relaxation at the end when you think about one part of your body at a time. very relaxing!
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Chamomile tea
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Listen to relaxing music or go get some never fails.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did fall asleep in the end after a few hours but I decided that having my laptop open and sat on that probably wouldn't help haha!

Thanks for all your help. Will try your advise next time I have trouble sleeping and my mind wanders!

xx
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i play relaxing music or put on a tv show that i can fall asleep watching. sometimes, if there is a lot on my mind, i will write out my thoughts in a journal and work through them until i can manage to catch some ZZZZs